When did the ammo shortage start?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > When did the ammo shortage start?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default When did the ammo shortage start?

If you had to say, when would you say you started having problems obtaining ammunition?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #2

Liked 2184 Times on 1289 Posts
Likes Given: 474

.22 ammo, 9mm and 5.56/.223 ammo were getting scarce in November/ December 2012. other calibers seemed to vaporize aroud January.

I've seen 9mm and .223 coming back, along with .45. Still haven't found reasonable .22 ammo in large quantities in my area.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2821 Times on 1400 Posts
Likes Given: 291

It hit the fan hard immediately after Sandy Hook.
However, there were some items that were getting scarce after the Aurora CO shooting. Primers were kind of thin afterward. ARs and AR ammo picked up a bit of momentum. Bulk ammo started showing "Out of Stock" on more & more web sites. Not panic buying, but certainly a pick up in popularity. It required that one actually hunt it down. I for one thought it prudent to get my AR after Aurora and get a supply of ammo on hand.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 07-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 732 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 325

It started after the 2008 election. It continued until 2010 and then tapered off. Components and ammo were readily available but not in the numbers they were prior to Nov 2008. Then Obama stole the election in Nov 2012 and it has been going down hill ever since.

In 2014 when the Democrats steal the House back and retain the Senate things will bad, really bad, maybe permanently bad or even banned.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #5

Liked 89 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 28

How I see it: Right after Sandy Hook and the renewed talk of gun control things started to get hard to find. I think that was the result of panic purchase. Since then it has come to light that our government has been stock piling ammo in enormous quantities. Unfortunately they are stock piling the same ammo many of us use (So much so there has even been a bill put forth to limit the amount of ammo the government can stock pile). Ammo manufacturers are obligated to fill government contracts first so civilian marketers must wait for those contracts to be filled before they can get their orders filled. Most common hunting rounds and shot shells were not affected much with the exception of .22 lr and .17hmr. After 7 months of this even once plentiful obscure surplus ammo has been snapped up by those that fear everything will dry up. One example: import company just got in a crate of vz82's in 9x18 markov and are selling them at a fair albeit inflated price. Before you order one try to find 9x18 markov ammo, all marked "sold out". I think this has been a test.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

rachilders Likes This 
Old 07-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Troll Scout
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1010 Times on 536 Posts
Likes Given: 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric View Post
It started after the 2008 election. It continued until 2010 and then tapered off. Components and ammo were readily available but not in the numbers they were prior to Nov 2008. Then Obama stole the election in Nov 2012 and it has been going down hill ever since.

In 2014 when the Democrats steal the House back and retain the Senate things will bad, really bad, maybe permanently bad or even banned.
This should be on everyones radar.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #7

Liked 1447 Times on 878 Posts
Likes Given: 336

In my region, there is no pistol ammo on the shelves, period. As soon as anything is unloaded off the truck, the clerks make a phone call to their buddies, and the shelves are emptied again. Much of that ammo goes to the next gun show, where it is sold at triple, or better, the buying price.

The shortage will end when the panic buying stops. The government "stockpiling" ammo is about as lame an example of "conspiracy theory" as you can imagine. The government uses a hell of a lot of ammo, but not much of it is .22LR.

This shortage is a self inflicted wound, just as the 2008 shortage was, no conspiracy, just paranoia.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

People Like This 
Old 07-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #8

Liked 89 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I didn't make this stuff up:

[T]he legislation would prevent all government agencies except for the Defense Department from purchasing and storing what lawmakers say is an excess amount of ammunition.

The bill’s reach would include DHS and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), two agencies that have found themselves at the center of the ammo controversy.

“As the public learned in a House committee hearing this week, the Department of Homeland Security has two years worth of ammo on hand and allots nearly 1,000 more rounds of ammunition for DHS officers than is used on average by our Army officers,” Inhofe said. “The AMMO Act of 2013 will enforce transparency and accountability of federal agencies’ ammunition supply while also protecting law-abiding citizens access to these resources.”

An agency covered by the legislation would not be permitted to purchase or store more ammunition than that agency retained on average between 2001 and 2009, according to an advance copy of the legislation provided to the Free Beacon.

Chainfire, it is just a theory, lame or not it's not mine but it make more sense then to think that everyone has a closet full of ammo but is willing to pay top dollar to snap up any box of ammo they can get their hands on. (my closet is just about empty) And by the way, Uncle Sam does buy .22lr and even .45lc.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

People Like This 
Old 07-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 732 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Quote:
The government uses a hell of a lot of ammo, but not much of it is .22LR.
No I would think not, but ammo manufacture's are going full bore manufacturing other ammo to fill both Govt's orders and the Consumers needs thus tying up time and resources that would otherwise be used in 22LR manufacturing.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The day after Aurora I went to my local shop and bought primers, I thought that the stuff was going to hit the fan then, but to my surprise it didn't. It was Sandy Hook that really dried things up in my area. I can get some powder and even primers but I haven't bought them as I refuse to be scalped and prefer to wait it out. All .22's are gone but some centerfire rifle and pistol ammo is available in the "unpopular" calibers.