What's your take on Imported Russian Rifle Ammunition?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > What's your take on Imported Russian Rifle Ammunition?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 02:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What's your take on Imported Russian Rifle Ammunition?

I've noticed there are mixed opinions of Rifle Ammunition imported from Russia. I've seen reviews that say that this kind of ammunition is "too dirty", this ammunition "makes my gun jam, and it doesn't feed right", the quality of the ammunition is poor "cartridges just fell apart after it came in the mail", and more.

I personally have had somewhat success shooting it through my .308 WIN CETME rifle. By my experience I'm not sure of the overall accuracy because I shot about 20 rounds in an indoor range that went up to 25 yards. The rounds did seem a bit dirtier than usual, but that could just be because of the delayed blowback the CETME has.

What's everyones take on generally imported Russian ammunition here?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2744 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Normally speaking I will use steel cased (Russian) ammo only in guns that were designed for this type of ammo (AK, SKS). The fluted chamber of the CETME is designed for thick brass cased (NATO) ammo. I have way too much money invested in my HK and CETME to risk the gun on cheap ammo.

I believe the relatively steep taper in the case body of the 7.62 X 39 and X54R ammo are key to a laquered case working properly. 5.56/.223 and 7.62 NATO are relatively straight bodied cases that do not work as well in laquered/polymer coated form.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-13-2009, 02:30 AM   #3

I've tried both types of ammunition through my CETME, and had no problem with both. I'm sure the Brass is the best though.

Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:24 AM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

With the exception of using 5.56 Nato brass rounds to establish and break-in the baseline of my new Colt LE 6940 I have shot Wolf 223 exclusively with no issues. I'm at about 2K rounds downrange and am cleaning the rifle sparingly to find out the "clean factor" for this new gun.

I couldn't be happier with the 'cheap' Russian ammo and see no reason other that snob appeal to shoot the more expensive brass.

I do need to state that when I begin to reload, I will be switching to all brass.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #5

Yeah. I don't have too much experience with different types of ammo, but I do experiment. I'd personally say I've observed that Imported ammo, especially the non-brass ones are ones not to completely disregard. I guess it doesn't matter as long as you clean your weapon, but what if you're out in the wild/in a survival status. Probably should stick with what ever is deemed non-corrosive.

Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:45 AM   #6

Well, I put this theory into motion two days ago. I went and shot Brown Bear ammo through my CETME (even though I knew it was dirty ammo) because I felt like paying little for ammo. Turns out the Brown Bear ammo was very bad for the CETME (probably due to it's blowback recoil system). My CETME was heating up more than usual, and one of the rounds came out as if it was frozen in time just before the casing expanded enough for the projectile to launch. As a matter of fact, in order to have gotten this round out, I had to force the bolt back by hitting the butt of my rifle on the ground because my bolt was stuck. Boy oh boy. I'm only sticking with Brass/American for now on when it comes to my rifle. I probably should choose whatever is the lowest grain as well, to minimize the amount I have to clean in my rifle, besides, the CETME really doesn't need much grain for great performance, I guarenteed it. I also had a disturbing time cleaning my rifle at the end of the day. My rifle is okay, but boy oh boy was it dirty.

I don't know how this kind of ammo holds up in other guns like pistols, but for now on, I will try to stick with brass, and American ammo. I have Wolf ammo for my 9mm, and will probably shoot that eventually. Hopefully that stuff is alright. I assume the HK USP will eat that for breakfast, because I think it's a real champ.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:34 AM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
With the exception of using 5.56 Nato brass rounds to establish and break-in the baseline of my new Colt LE 6940 I have shot Wolf 223 exclusively with no issues. I'm at about 2K rounds downrange and am cleaning the rifle sparingly to find out the "clean factor" for this new gun.

I couldn't be happier with the 'cheap' Russian ammo and see no reason other that snob appeal to shoot the more expensive brass.

I do need to state that when I begin to reload, I will be switching to all brass.
Yes, Pal, start saving your RELOADABLE (No Berdan) brass. Me and The Snake are going to have SOME fun!!!!!!!!!!! P.S. while you're at the range, start "saving" all of the others brass that you can steal!!==Bring back a full coffee can from each range trip!!

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 09-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #8

Absolutely, Billybob! I should just start up reloading ammo. I'm tired of buying the expensive ammo, and I'm not going to convert my rifle to .22 as an excuse because it costs less to shoot. I love my 308 pushing into me, LOL.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausn2002 View Post
I've noticed there are mixed opinions of Rifle Ammunition imported from Russia. I've seen reviews that say that this kind of ammunition is "too dirty", this ammunition "makes my gun jam, and it doesn't feed right", the quality of the ammunition is poor "cartridges just fell apart after it came in the mail", and more.

I personally have had somewhat success shooting it through my .308 WIN CETME rifle. By my experience I'm not sure of the overall accuracy because I shot about 20 rounds in an indoor range that went up to 25 yards. The rounds did seem a bit dirtier than usual, but that could just be because of the delayed blowback the CETME has.

What's everyones take on generally imported Russian ammunition here?
In guns designed for it it is fine. In most AR's it's not. In fact, some manufacturers warn agains it. Steel does not expand as quickly or as much as brass, and this can cause problems with wear to the bolt/bolt face. If a case does not expand thoroughly to grip the chamber walls tightly, it can slam the bolt face. Laquer coated steel can cause FTF and FTE problems in AR's where chamber tolerances are much tighter than their com bloc cousins. High chamber temps cause laquer to melt and adhere to the chamber walls - if not cleaned thoroughly this can cause problems including case head separation. My AR's will NEVER see a steel case!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 09-09-2009 at 12:01 PM.