What's the range of a 7.62 x 39? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > What's the range of a 7.62 x 39?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 03:28 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hey I agree with you gnoll. I put a high dollar 3x scope on my .223 AR and and cheap 10x scope on my SU 16. I bet you can guess what hits more bullseyes at 100+ yards.
I'm not goin make the same mistake with my Saiga.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:34 AM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

"i am getting 2" groups at 500 yards give or take a yard"

Gnoll, I ain't saying that's not so, haven't seen your targets nor your 500 yards but that's a LOOONG shot for an assult rifle cartridge. Don't know if you're shooting factory, surplus mil or hand loads but for most full charges in that cartridge it will drop about 5 5 1/2 feet at 500 if the sights are zeroed at 200! Wow.
And a 2" group at that range requires (1) about a 3/8" group at 100 yards and (2) absolutely no cross wind and (3) a target grade trigger and (4) high grade optics to even see how to shoot such groups.

Very few high quality bolt action .30 cal. target rifles shooting high velocity cartridges that have been precision loaded with target grade bullets can equal the accuracy of your Russian 7.62x39 Saiga. You need to treat that thing with kid glooves to preserve such an exceptional rifle from any damage that will bring it back to earth. And stock up on 10,000 rounds of that awesome ammo too.

Last edited by 1hole; 03-18-2008 at 01:47 PM.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:07 PM   #13

I normally won't waste my time bringing up, but since you seem to want to prove groll wrong bout everything he's replied. Gnoll shooting with a SKS not a Saiga. When you replied that a 4x scope made 200 yards look like 50 yards I thought no way in heck but I was thankful for your time in answering my question. So I didn't write some nasty reply. Remember.. everybody's an expert.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:13 PM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Oops, I seem to have touched a nerve without intending to, in fact tried very hard not too. What did I say that was factually wrong or misleading? OK, I missed that he is shooting an SKS but that makes his 2"/500 yard accurarcy claim even harder to accept. But be sure to post your own 500 yard 7.62x39 accuracy and prove my skeptisicm wrong, I would love to hear about it.

You don't think that a 4x scope effectively divides the 200 yd. visual range by 4?

I thought to answer your quesion for a knowledgeable point of view, didn't occur to me that you would resent valid info as from an "expert". Oh well, it don't matter do it, you do it Gnolls way and be happy! Have a grand day.

Last edited by 1hole; 03-18-2008 at 11:24 PM.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:39 AM   #15

First I can admit when I stepped out of line. SORRY! Gnoll's 500 yard story does seem like well, a story. The simple math you spelled is certainly correct
I should have said a 4x scope is not enough for me to see the bullseye for a good grouping for me. But for someone that's a better shot, such as yourself maybe that's enough. I guess also what I should have said was life's too short to go around correcting everyone. I know all advice should be taken with a grain of salt. I just don't want to see your replies make people stop writing replies.If you look at number of views in ratio to number of replies it kinda makes you think that people are worried about what someone says back. I've seen alot of my on line mountain bike buddies stop talking in our forum for just that. I don't want to do it gnoll's way. I would rather have more input from many different people then tried them all. But I have to wonder that I didn't get any replies, because us 3 were trying prove each other wrong Lastly like I said before, I really appreciate your time answering my question. And oh when I said everybody's an expert. That meant everybody me, you gnoll everybody I really hope you keep answering any of my future questions because heck, even if I don't agree initially... I'm still going to try them out

Old 03-19-2008, 03:02 AM   #16

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Accepted, no offense taken by me anyway. I really didn't want to say 2"/500 is pure BS so I chose to give factual points to refute that as so unlikely as to be impossible.

I was laughing so hard when I read one post that I missed he was shooting an SKS, I'd have collapsed on the floor if it had seen that the first time!

Perhaps I am less than totally patient with bad information being passed to those who truly seek to know and understand but are blown off course by windy folks with stories to tell. Thought maybe I could give both you and him facts to consider and both of you would see the truth without me pushing it off on either of you.

Learn to sift through the BS or the net won't offer much help. Be cool..

Old 03-19-2008, 03:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
"i am getting 2" groups at 500 yards give or take a yard"

Gnoll, I ain't saying that's not so, haven't seen your targets nor your 500 yards but that's a LOOONG shot for an assult rifle cartridge. Don't know if you're shooting factory, surplus mil or hand loads but for most full charges in that cartridge it will drop about 5 5 1/2 feet at 500 if the sights are zeroed at 200! Wow.
And a 2" group at that range requires (1) about a 3/8" group at 100 yards and (2) absolutely no cross wind and (3) a target grade trigger and (4) high grade optics to even see how to shoot such groups.

Very few high quality bolt action .30 cal. target rifles shooting high velocity cartridges that have been precision loaded with target grade bullets can equal the accuracy of your Russian 7.62x39 Saiga. You need to treat that thing with kid glooves to preserve such an exceptional rifle from any damage that will bring it back to earth. And stock up on 10,000 rounds of that awesome ammo too.
well ok u got my i reload alot and there hot (not that i wont share but i think i might bore you with the specks of the rounds i load)
now i dont shoot in a standing position when i do this
now as for optics the knobs on the scope are for wind i know how to use them
so do You live in AZ come shoot with me i dont remember if it sed with your Av
if not where do u live maby ill hunt were u live ill shoot with u
and if a man cant handle the truth what can he handel
dude i dont make stuff up
dont care if u trust me i dont trust you

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.
-Mark Twain

Last edited by gnoll; 03-19-2008 at 03:11 AM. Reason: cuss words

Old 03-19-2008, 05:23 AM   #18

Hey gnoll, I'm into reloading and would love to know how you press out a 7.62 x 39 that would hit a target at 500 yards. Man i'll split the money that I hustle off the guys at the range ( won't be the first time!) lol. Thanks again for your input. Hey what about inviting me to Arizona. Are there alot of wide open spaces to shoot there? There ain't any in Baltimore.

Thanks for the advice 1hole. Like said before, I hope to hear from you again.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:01 AM   #19

well here we go
disclaimer as with any reloading it is dangerous and should be done by a well qualified individual i hold know responsibility for the condition of your fire arm or the ability or quality of your equipment so i hold NO liability for your safety or health
now that sed u cant sew me!!!!!
ok with this reload i do have some feed probs but in a bolt it should work better
i use Sierra #2100 110 gr.RN bullets
for powder i use AA-1680 26.5 gr.
CCI# 34 primer
head setting at1.95"
ok now the 308 bullet i used is not what the AK or SKS shoot it works well
remember this is close to the limits for the powder live hard or go home but build to these limits for your safety be shure your gun can handle the pressure
want to tell if the high pressure is occurring in your weapon regester for my class
now i have good simple target round
fun shooter and the feed problem gone round
use ing the proper dies .311
125gr. #2305 Sierra SPT bullet
powder IMR 4198 at 23.4 gr.
CCI# 34 primer
head set2.185"
like to bump fire this

now some history
the 6mm PPC considered possibly the most accurate cartridge ever developed
descended from the 7.62 by 39mm
but thats apples and oranges
good shooting and oranges but still good to know when we are talking bullets

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.
-Mark Twain

Old 03-20-2008, 02:18 AM   #20

Dude, I was trying to be cool. I'm serious we're like a back room in Chinatown at the range. Forget anyway I don't want to hurt myself I'm new at reloading
So since you thought I was being disrespectful, does mean the trip to your killer shooting spot in AZ is out of the question? We don't have any place cheap to go in Baltimore that's over 200 yards. I got a tricked out AR 10 and thought I was trying to make a friend so I'd have a place to test it's limits. My bad.