Whats the objective of your load ? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Whats the objective of your load ?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
willfully armed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Olathe,JOCO KS
Posts: 1,998
Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

You talk about putting drywall screws in a Hydrajunk and I'm the troll. And now mercury causes explosions?

I think your looking at this the wrong way.

__________________

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

willfully armed is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Lake Anna area ,in Spotsy county
Posts: 28
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Txhillbilly , Thank you sir on the rest .This is a Viper rest made byBob Pastor up in Michigan . Bob is super to deal with willing to listen to your ideas and will make a custom rest to fit your needs and he is a super person in just general . Keep throwing lead and burning the powder .

Take care,

Jim

__________________

Experientia Docet

Groundhoghunter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 9,289
Liked 5694 Times on 3218 Posts
Likes Given: 5086

Default

I simply can't imagine putting mercury in a bullet. That would be idiocy taken to a very high level.

And when compared to today's premium ammo, Hydra-Shok is second tier.

__________________
“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”


Winston Churchill
locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 519
Liked 189 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Default

What are my objectives in a load?
THIS!
That is a .346" outside diameter group (1/12th MOA) with my 6.5x55, groups so tight my spotter called miss on the second and third shot! Gatta love RL19

6.5x55-group.jpg  
__________________
Apex-Predator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #35
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,551
Liked 5633 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
Mercury gets real ticked off when caught between a bullet and a hard place. I have never done it, but I guess you will be picking 55 gallon barrel parts up all over the place. Friend that owns another gun shop told me about that year's ago.
Before this gets out of hand. Mercury doesnt make bullets or targets "explode" it does just the opposite. It makes bullets less effective.

Mercury was used and is used today to remove lead from rifle barrels when excessively leaded. Its not as commonly used anymore due to the need for hazmat controls. Mercury disolves lead. Pour mercury into a hollowpoint and it will destabalize the bullet, get mercury lead mixture into the inner workings of your gun and probably cause a kaboom of extremely toxic proportions.

This mercury tipped bullet myth came from a very poorly written story called day of the jackal by a buffoon called fredrick forsythe.

Its since crawled into hoax and tall tales propogated by folks called toppers. These people always gotta have some story to top yours and that day of the jackal lunacy is just such a thing that toppers love dribble on about.

It rears its ugly head in gunshops a lot since toppers tend to be drawn to chatting at gunstore counters
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #36
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,946
Liked 8260 Times on 4772 Posts
Likes Given: 10674

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Before this gets out of hand. Mercury doesnt make bullets or targets "explode" it does just the opposite. It makes bullets less effective.

Mercury was used and is used today to remove lead from rifle barrels when excessively leaded. Its not as commonly used anymore due to the need for hazmat controls. Mercury disolves lead. Pour mercury into a hollowpoint and it will destabalize the bullet, get mercury lead mixture into the inner workings of your gun and probably cause a kaboom of extremely toxic proportions.

This mercury tipped bullet myth came from a very poorly written story called day of the jackal by a buffoon called fredrick forsythe.

Its since crawled into hoax and tall tales propogated by folks called toppers. These people always gotta have some story to top yours and that day of the jackal lunacy is just such a thing that toppers love dribble on about.

It rears its ugly head in gunshops a lot since toppers tend to be drawn to chatting at gunstore counters
Egggggzzzzzactly! "Topper" or "know it all" perfectly describes the moron I used to work with. At the time I did not know that mercury destabilized lead, and now that you mention it I hadn't thought about that.
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Tenderribbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 317
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Default

Come on a topper is really just a habitual liar yep I've known a couple of them . Just makes my skin crawl you can set them up really easily , just say you did something and they have done that with one hand, at night , and blindfolded . But a topper is a good name for them too.

__________________
Tenderribbs is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:55 AM   #38
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,946
Liked 8260 Times on 4772 Posts
Likes Given: 10674

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderribbs View Post
just say you did something and they have done that with one hand, at night , and blindfolded .
Ummm, not to burst your bubble but most everybody has been doing that since puberty.
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:08 AM   #39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RustyShackleford101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 774
Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Default

That depends, if I'm gonna be using my .308 to smack steel at 700 yards, I want accuracy for example. If I'm going to be shooting time cans, there is no need for ultimate performance.

__________________
RustyShackleford101 is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:12 AM   #40
mcb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 532
Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Mostly for accuracy. I like trying to find the right combo for the gun and shooter.

__________________
mcb is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Can you tell from picture whats? whats? Correct approach lilbailnick Engraving & Refinishing 6 10-04-2012 12:28 AM
Adjustable Objective upssmann Optics & Mounts 2 04-06-2012 11:23 PM
Lee Load-All II 12g Agent_Smith Ammunition & Reloading 1 11-14-2011 03:26 PM
Lee Load All bizy Ammunition & Reloading 3 06-06-2010 12:55 AM
ruger no.1 7x57 whats a good load redwolf Ammunition & Reloading 2 07-31-2008 02:22 AM