Originally Posted by AR10
Mercury gets real ticked off when caught between a bullet and a hard place. I have never done it, but I guess you will be picking 55 gallon barrel parts up all over the place. Friend that owns another gun shop told me about that year's ago.
Before this gets out of hand. Mercury doesnt make bullets or targets "explode" it does just the opposite. It makes bullets less effective.
Mercury was used and is used today to remove lead from rifle barrels when excessively leaded. Its not as commonly used anymore due to the need for hazmat controls. Mercury disolves lead. Pour mercury into a hollowpoint and it will destabalize the bullet, get mercury lead mixture into the inner workings of your gun and probably cause a kaboom of extremely toxic proportions.
This mercury tipped bullet myth came from a very poorly written story called day of the jackal by a buffoon called fredrick forsythe.
Its since crawled into hoax and tall tales propogated by folks called toppers. These people always gotta have some story to top yours and that day of the jackal lunacy is just such a thing that toppers love dribble on about.
It rears its ugly head in gunshops a lot since toppers tend to be drawn to chatting at gunstore counters