Whats the objective of your load ? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Whats the objective of your load ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

For my rifle cartridges I load for accuracy, which is usually in the mid range of the load data charts. The loads I use also happen to have velocities that are conducive for effective hunting but I only shoot paper now. For my handgun cartridges I load for the same velocities I would want for a self-defense round. When I shoot I want to get used to the feel of the round I would use for self defense. I know shooters who like to use powder puff "target" loads but not me. Maybe they are trying to save a few pennies or can't handle the recoil of a regular load. I wouldn't shoot a cartridge if I didn't think I could handle the recoil that came with it. Why use a cartridge if you have to load it way down to feel comfortable with it? Go to a smaller round.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:44 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2991 Times on 1558 Posts
Likes Given: 278

1. functional reliability
2. accuracy
3. economy
4. terminal effectiveness

That is for most of what I load

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-26-2013, 05:37 AM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

rifles i reload for as an accurate a round as possible. lot of that is the sheer enjoyment of working up a load and testing it. i find it to be very relaxing and enjoyable.

for my pistols i work up loads that are decently accurate and shoot them for practice. this allows me to be able to practice more and to become a better pistol shooter. not looking for the Nth degree out my pistol loads.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:49 AM   #14
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1106 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 242

My ammo is all designed to stop, drop, equalize heart rate, with blood pressure, as well as bring body temperature in line with room temperature.

In my 44 mag, my ammo has a cut off drywall screw sticking out the Hydra-Shock hollow points. I have them measured to just clear the rotating cylinder. I would do the same thing with my Glock 10mm but I anticipate feed issues. I have renamed the Hydra-Shock ammo, """You're Screwed!"""

Last edited by AR10; 02-26-2013 at 05:53 AM.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #15

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Right now the focus has been on the "major" side,cheap and clean.The minor is on accuracy.With an eye on speed because of safety and also how it applies to the clean aspects.This is in a #14 Smith used for Dbl action practice...shooting homebrewed wadcutters.

In rifle's,given this time of year(predators),a .223 or 22-250 is what's on the menu.The goals here are on the major side.....terminal ballistics,and a minor on accuracy.If I can get 1 MOA,then thats plenty.These rounds are being rammed up through mags....in and out of std ammo bxs.....wash/repeat.To chase accuracy means being WAY more concerned with factors that honestly,don't suit the gaming fields where we hunt.

Theres a big difference in bullets/terminal ballistics.......no exit wound means one less(sometimes huge)hole to sew up on pelt.And in general (frangible bullets)makes for good ju-ju when varmint hunting.

I chase accuracy with ten shot groups through a cast bullet rifle.This is/has been a loooong affair.Have some impressive groups(10 shots)that have come with a serious amt of time invested.Not whining but,need a little better tools,specifically dies.Not so much about bushings N such....I can machine those.Just need them to be finished better than what we're using now......not ready to drop a buck fifty on the really nice stuff?

Old 02-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
My ammo is all designed to stop, drop, equalize heart rate, with blood pressure, as well as bring body temperature in line with room temperature.

In my 44 mag, my ammo has a cut off drywall screw sticking out the Hydra-Shock hollow points. I have them measured to just clear the rotating cylinder. I would do the same thing with my Glock 10mm but I anticipate feed issues. I have renamed the Hydra-Shock ammo, """You're Screwed!"""

Screw, blued and tattooed!

Old 02-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #17

Liked 806 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 921

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
For my rifle cartridges I load for accuracy, which is usually in the mid range of the load data charts. The loads I use also happen to have velocities that are conducive for effective hunting but I only shoot paper now. For my handgun cartridges I load for the same velocities I would want for a self-defense round. When I shoot I want to get used to the feel of the round I would use for self defense. I know shooters who like to use powder puff "target" loads but not me. Maybe they are trying to save a few pennies or can't handle the recoil of a regular load. I wouldn't shoot a cartridge if I didn't think I could handle the recoil that came with it. Why use a cartridge if you have to load it way down to feel comfortable with it? Go to a smaller round.
I make "cowboy" 30-30 loads.... There cheap, quiet, and dont kick

I dont understand why I can shoot my military rifles (1903, Mosins, Steyr, Enfield, Arisakas) all day without flinching, but my little 30-30 beats the crap outta me??? It even has a buttpad where my military rifles have metal ones???

Old 02-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6564 Times on 3658 Posts
Likes Given: 6208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
I make "cowboy" 30-30 loads.... There cheap, quiet, and dont kick

I dont understand why I can shoot my military rifles (1903, Mosins, Steyr, Enfield, Arisakas) all day without flinching, but my little 30-30 beats the crap outta me??? It even has a buttpad where my military rifles have metal ones???
One of those little mysteries of life!

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

Old 02-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #19

Trez, my Model 94 still kicks like a mule but I love shooting it. I guess it has hard recoil because of its light weight. I can understand why you use "cowboy" loads in your 30-30. I use full loads in mine because after 40 years of shooting it I am very familiar with it and I think it would serve me well as a self-defense weapon, both against two-legged and four-legged threats.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #20

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post

This post is so full of fail. The worst part is I really think you do this and have no idea why its ridiculous

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?