Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > whats a good press for begginner?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 02:06 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

That's the one I got CourtJester. I like it.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #22

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1095

You will be very happy with your choice Jester.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #23

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmrboy
A few mos ago, I met a guy that started on a progressive press with no reloading experience. He double charged a 40 s&w case and completely destroyed a Springfield xd. Ruined the slide and blew a hole in the side of the frame. Somehow, he didn't get hurt. That is why one should use a single stage press till you learn the whole process of reloading ammo.
Thank you so much for this info! I'm just getting started in re-loading, & this information is priceless!! Been reading thru all these threads & soaking up as much stuff as I can.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #24

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Jester I think that is the one I am gonna get too. After watching some guys on youtube do some reloads with a single press it just looks more fun. You get down and dirty with it and more intricate.

Fire for effect!

Old 08-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #25

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Your choice, but I have a feeling once you start shooting more, you'll want something faster than a single stage.

I can't stress enough, LEE CLASSIC TURRET! If you want to spend the extra time doing everything in waves like a single stage, you can still use the Classic Turret just like a single stage. It's great because it's so versatile. Use it one stage at a time when you want to. Then when you need to speed up production a bit, you've got an auto-indexing turret press that will be much faster than a regular single stage press. Not to mention once you set your dies in a turret, you really won't have to mess with them again. Set it and forget it. Have fun changing out dies in a single stage.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #26

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus
Your choice, but I have a feeling once you start shooting more, you'll want something faster than a single stage.

I can't stress enough, LEE CLASSIC TURRET! If you want to spend the extra time doing everything in waves like a single stage, you can still use the Classic Turret just like a single stage. It's great because it's so versatile. Use it one stage at a time when you want to. Then when you need to speed up production a bit, you've got an auto-indexing turret press that will be much faster than a regular single stage press. Not to mention once you set your dies in a turret, you really won't have to mess with them again. Set it and forget it. Have fun changing out dies in a single stage.
Well you have certainly sold me! After reading your post & researching online & youtube, a Lee 4 hole classic turret is exactly what I'm ordering! But I'm getting the deluxe kit so I'll have most of the stuff I need to get started, besides dies, powder & such. I'll let you know how it turns out. Oh, by the way, I've decided to build my own extra sturdy bench, insteadof buying one since God has blessed me with some carpenter skills

Old 08-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #27

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

ok i thought I made up my mind but now good lord. i do like the fact that you dont have to move your dies. CRAP AND DOUBLE CRAP! lol

Fire for effect!

Old 08-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #28

When I first looked into reloading, I could easily see that the single stage was going to be a lot more work. Not a big deal if you're only reloading small quantities and have ample free time. But I have little free time and I shoot quite a bit. It was also a negative for me that a single stage took several "waves" just to get a finished bullet. Deprime 100 cases, reprime 100 cases, bell the case opening on 100 cases, powder charge 100 cases, seat the bullet and crimp the case on 100 cases. Do all that just to get 100 finished rounds. And remember you have to change the dies out on every stage.

On my Classic Turret, I set my dies up one time in the turret and they're good to go from there on out. For comparison, all I have to do is pull the handle 3 times to get a finished round. No "waves" for this guy. I have a bucket of empty brass to pick from, a box of bullets, and a bucket for my finished rounds. If you're only going to reload rifle calibers, then the single stage might be a good idea. But if the majority will be pistol calibers, forget the single stage and get the turret press.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #29

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

" i do like the fact that you dont have to move your dies. "

Moving dies - and loading in 'waves' - is a lot less difficult than some seem to presume. I think. Start out right and move to a progressive if/when that's right. Most new guys blowing out lots of handgun ammo would do better working with a .22 RF - for a looong time.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #30

I'm not saying its difficult. Nothing is particularly "difficult" in reloading. It's just time consuming and tedious in my opinion. The time you spend changing dies, measuring OALs, and setting up your blocks could be spent continuing to crank out rounds on a turret.

Single stage presses have their place, don't get me wrong. I have no idea what the OP is loading for and what the intended use for the rounds will be. I reload for inexpensive range ammo and a turret press fits my needs perfectly. If I was reloading for precision accuracy, I'd have a single stage press.