whats a good press for begginner? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > whats a good press for begginner?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 03:54 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Smart choice.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #12

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by synical View Post
um ok that kinda answers my question but why not a lee progressive?
OK, 'Why not a Lee Progressive?'

I have one and do 9MM, 40S&W, 45ACP and part of (last parts) 223/5.56 with it. BUT only after I have worked out my loads. I could do 300BlkOuts the same as 223/5.56s but I haven't gotten to that stage yet.

I have found that my Lee Pro 1000 must be properly lubed to run well and I have not had any problems with it (that stupid chain pull is another matter).

My method of building loads would be very labor intensive if I were to use an progressive. Yet, it pumps out excellent rounds after I have settled on a loading.

We come back to your needs and desires. What do you want to load and what for (weapon type).

I don't know your needs and can not make a determination. I hope you the best and will offer any help/advise desired.

Enjoy,

OSOK

Old 08-21-2012, 01:57 AM   #13

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk44
Smart choice.
Thanks. I think is is the right move.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:09 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5534 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

Progressive: Dillon 650

Single stage: Redding Big Boss

There are a lot of other good single stage presses out there, but IMHO at least, that Big Boss is pretty close to the ultimate.

Winston Churchill

Old 08-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 940 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 1215

Quote:
Originally Posted by synical View Post
I have done lots of research on reloading and have gotten some manuals and reloading guides. however I still dont know If I should get a progressive press or a single press to start with. I have heard that single is more precise but if your watching what is going on in the progressive press why would it not be just as accurate? I dont want to get the wrong one and have to turn around a get something else. I do however like the lee presses.
Since it seems that todays handloading emphasis is on pistol cartridges I say you should consider the Lee Classic 4 hole Turret press/kit .

As a "begginner" to hand loading, the turret offers you the best bang of both worlds in handloading. You can operate the turret by had as you would a single stage to learn the craft. Then you can enable (auto index) the turret to operate and provide runs of quality pistol ammo up to 200/250 rounds per hour. A single stage for pistol ammo will ultimately drive you nuts.

The Lee Turet also allows quick change over to differet callibers with an additional turret plate and dies. Change over is less than 15 minutes.

Quote:
um ok that kinda answers my question but why not a lee progressive?
Nothing as far as I'm concearned but I'm a guy who dosn't mind tinkering with things to get optimal performance. However, I would'nt want to learn to handload on a progressive; Unless its a Dillon Square Deal straight from the factory.

Lee progressive are figitty at times, enough to turn many away from them. However they prrrr like a kitten when they operate at capacity and they are fast. There are plenty of sites and "how to" videos that can help you if you go this way.

I've been loading since the 60's myself shotgun to rifle and pistol. On my current bench's you can find a Rock Chucker single stage, A Lee Progressive, a Lee Turret, a Dillon Square Deal ,and an old Lee Handloadler that I carried in my saddle bags on my grandfathers spread as a teenager

Ive gone from quality, to speed, to accuracy, to volume. I have more load equipment than I will ever need some antiquated some not.

Again I say Lee TURRET..

Good Luck keep us informed
ST~

Become steel or get cut.

Last edited by Steel_Talon; 08-24-2012 at 07:54 PM.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:26 AM   #16

Likes Given: 1

Steel talon pretty much answered for me. I've been reloading for over 30yrs, I always recomend starting with a single stage. Easy to learn on and you will always have use for a single stage if you upgrade to a progressive. I don't have a Lee turret, but that is a good way to start, and with the auto advance rod in place will turn out plenty ammo for recreational shooters.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #17

Likes Given: 1

A few mos ago, I met a guy that started on a progressive press with no reloading experience. He double charged a 40 s&w case and completely destroyed a Springfield xd. Ruined the slide and blew a hole in the side of the frame. Somehow, he didn't get hurt. That is why one should use a single stage press till you learn the whole process of reloading ammo.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

A single stage is much better for noobs, there are too many things going on at once for noobs to keep track of. It's easy to experiment with a single stage and is more difficult with a progresse. Changing cartridges is easy with SS, can be agravating and time consuming with progressives.

A skilled loader can load as well on a progressive as on a Single Stage but it's better to learn on a SS. Then, IF you ever want a semi-auto turret try Lee's Classic Turret. If you ever want to load lots of the same thing in a hurry get a Hornady AP or Dillon. But your SS won't be a waste nor will you want to sell it, any avid reloader is going to have special tasks the SS will handle better than a turret or progressive.

The RCBS Rock Chucker IS the standard of comparision but not because it's the "best"; it's because it's the longest made (with several revisions) so more people know what it is when making comparisions. All American made single stage presses are very good and any of the iron presses will outlast their owners unless abused but there's no better press than Lee's all iron/steel Classic Cast. It's the better press in it's class; if I had to replace my old RC 2 next week that's what I'd get.

Last edited by 1hole; 08-26-2012 at 12:48 AM.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:39 AM   #19

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

Lots of good advice here. I recently started reloading and, after the same deliberations as the OP I decided to get the Lee single stage kit. I considered all the options and put cost aside, I considered the advice of many other reloaders as on this forum. The single stage seemed the right way to go as there are many other uses for it after you upgrade.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:51 AM   #20

Liked 702 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I just ordered this

And about $100 worth of other little odds and ends for it. Got it UPS on Friday, got it all put together and set up Friday night, and will fiddle with it tomorrow to see how it works. I'll post results after I get to shoot what I put together.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington