Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   whats a good press for begginner? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/whats-good-press-begginner-70477/)

synical 08-16-2012 04:58 PM

whats a good press for begginner?

I have done lots of research on reloading and have gotten some manuals and reloading guides. however I still dont know If I should get a progressive press or a single press to start with. I have heard that single is more precise but if your watching what is going on in the progressive press why would it not be just as accurate? I dont want to get the wrong one and have to turn around a get something else. I do however like the lee presses.

mountainman13 08-16-2012 05:37 PM

A progressive press will take longer to get set up but you should be able to produce more ammo per hour. A single stage is easier to work with and may produce better ammo.

cottontop 08-16-2012 06:02 PM

The single stage RCBS Rockchucker is the press by which all others are judged. Good for beginner and experienced alike. The may be somewhat expensive, but used ones in perfectly good condition can be found on the auction sites for about half the price of a new one. And, it will last forever.
cottontop

rjd3282 08-16-2012 06:37 PM

The quality of ammo produced on a good progressive is every bit as good as ammo produced on a single stage. If you are planning on loading lots get a progressive just don't get the lee progressive. It's a fidgety machine. Despite what some would have you believe progressives are not difficult to operate. You can use a progressive like a single stage if you want, but you can't use a single stage like a progressive.

oldpapps 08-16-2012 09:16 PM

I would think the determining factor would be what you will be loading for.

Shoot lots of pistol round - progressive.
Shoot lots of rifle round, just to shoot - progressive.
Shoot to prepare for hunting - single stage.
Shoot for precision - single stage.
Shoot to build loads and experiment - single stage.

Both will do the same thing. Just one is easier than the other to do it. The use is the determining factor.

I have both.... and some other types too.

synical 08-19-2012 10:14 PM

um ok that kinda answers my question but why not a lee progressive?

rjd3282 08-19-2012 10:25 PM

They never seem to get very good reviews. Seems you have to tinker with them all the time to get them to work. I've never operated one but I have other progressives. If you look at the Lee side by side with the Dillons or Hornady you'll see a huge difference in quality. I know the Dillon and Hornady cost more but there is more to economics than just money. Lee dies and their single stage and turret presses seem to be well liked though. I'm not bad mouthing Lee in general but it seems progressives aren't their strong suit.

25-5 08-19-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synical
I have done lots of research on reloading and have gotten some manuals and reloading guides. however I still dont know If I should get a progressive press or a single press to start with. I have heard that single is more precise but if your watching what is going on in the progressive press why would it not be just as accurate? I dont want to get the wrong one and have to turn around a get something else. I do however like the lee presses.

I like Dillon. Good warranty, experienced help when you need it I have used a 450 w/upgrades for about 30 yrs. it's a 550 now. Loaded 10's of Ms of pistol. I go slow at 150+/hr. for rifle no auto powder drop. Use scale, powder trickler, and funnel. Size, deprime, seat, and crimp on the Dillon. As you become more competent you would want a progressive anyway. Be diligent and you will do well.

JonM 08-19-2012 11:19 PM

the difference between quality on progressives that are set up correctly and single stage that are setup correctly generally only shows up in benchrest shooting with extremely customized guns.

the difference is in the extremely minute play there is in the shellplates or tool heads or both depending on the press in question.

the differences in lee dillon rcbs hornady progressives are small differences in how things work. kinda like in handguns do you like frame mounted safeties or slide mounted safeties or no safeties or like to have grip safeties. it boils down to ergonomics.

Dillon XL650 is my prefered progressive simply because they dont have any major flaws or annoyances like lee hornady and the rcbs ones do. i like the toolhead interchangeability keeps all the dies together in a simply easy to use unit.

i also use single stages and my preffered single stage is the rcbs rockchucker because it can be very accurate and give repeatable results from round to round with no varience. i use it for making my highest quality match grade ammo.

setup time for a progressive and single stage are the same. the difference is the setup for a progressive is all up front while the single stage setup is spread out through the entire loading process. everything has to be run through the single stage 2-3 times. with priming a completely seperate step altogether this adds up to a LOT of wasted time. if im going to load 50 rounds of match grade 308 that means i have to handle a piece of brass 100 times through the press and 50 times through the priming process and 50 times through the powder charging process and handle 50 bullets, thats 250 times i have to handle a smaller case and bullet. its a wash between progressive and single stage for a small bit like that.

when i do 1000 45acp or 9mm if i do it with a single stage that means 6000 operations i have to do manually by hand. if i do it on a progressive i only have to handle the bullets 1000 times. now do that for 3 or 4 calibers and you can see what makes progressives better in some respects. the dillon can totally remove all handling of brass and bullets if you opt to get a bullet feed device with all the other bells and whistles.

up to you how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.

GaMatt72 08-19-2012 11:30 PM

I am new also and I am starting off with the lee 4 stage turret press. I took out the advancement rod to make it a single stage till I get better acquainted with it.