whats the fastest loading machine to use.. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

whats the fastest loading machine to use..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 10:29 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 116 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I've had an XL 650 for over fifteen years now. I load a fair amount of ammo, all calibers from .32 ACP to .35 Whelen. I load only for myself; not commercial sales.

The XL 650 is the perfect machine for the loader who shoots up to - 3000 rounds a month, I'd say. I don't load that much, but it wouldn't be hard to do. Dillon powder measures deliver reliable and consistent drops of powder for pretty much everything I shoot. The most questionable loads are those with flake or extruded powders, and the variation is within limits for everything except ragged edge maximum loads (away from which I tend to shy.)

The Dillon Super 1050 is a great, high volume machine. However, it is not as convenient to change calibers as the 650 or smaller Dillon machines. My understanding is the 1050 is used as a dedicated, one caliber machine for commercial loaders.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I've never used any of the other progressives. After buying and using the Dillon 650, I've never felt the need.
Finally back in the United States!
See my blog at:
Old 12-12-2011, 02:29 AM   #12
Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have 2 Dillon 550's and use them to load mostly handgun ammo in bulk. I have never been dissatisfied with the accuracy or speed which I can crank out cartridges. I still use an RCBS Rock Chucker and a Redding Turret press for my rifle ammo, just because of habit. I would imagine the Dillon 650 and 1050 are faster as you dont have to manually index the brass from station to station, but I have never felt the need to go any faster than the 550's. Good luck.
NRA Life Member

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is Godís job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine
Old 12-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #13
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have just picked up the Hornady AP progressive reloader and could not be happier. The powder througher is spot on . i checked every round for the first 20 and the variance was half of 1/10 of a grain.
I reloaded 100 rounds of 45 acp in twenty minuts without a hicup.
once u get used to it it will pound out the rounds.
I was going to go dillon but I read reviews on both and decided to go with the Hornady mostly because it was $150 dollars cheaper.
I have never used the Dillon 550 or 650. so I cant compare but i realy love my Hornady.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping
Old 12-14-2011, 05:39 PM   #14
Liked 128 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Dillon 650. .

Initial cost may seem painful, but when you get it setup, and your running 150 rds every ten minutes...ABSOLUTELY PRICELESS.

Strong mount, bullet tray, roller handle, powder check, casefeeder are a MUST.
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?
Old 12-15-2011, 06:03 AM   #15
Liked 145 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I have the Dillon 550B it is not the fastest progressive but it is no slouch & it puts them out in a steady pace.

Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.