Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Whats the difference between these two

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Not much real difference.

The difference between Jacketed Hollow Point bullets and Sierra Jacketed Hollow Cavity bullets are subtle.

I remember buying Sierra JHC bullets in 1971. The difference is one of internal shape and marketing. A standard 'hollow point' has a nose cavity that is either wider at the top and narrows to the bottom of the cavity, OR is parallel sided from top to bottom. The Sierra 'Hollow Cavity' bullet features a cavity that is wider internally than the nose opening. According to the advertising, this makes the bullet expand better on impact.

Both the JHC and conventional JHP bullets are jacketed to the point where no lead touches the interior of the barrel. Most expanding bullets have exposed lead on the nose, somewhere. (There are some hollow point bullets which do not have exposed lead, but they are less common and specialty items.)

I cannot discern any performance difference between the two types of bullets.

However, your firearm may shoot better with one style or the other. Can't tell without trying.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

People Like This