What's the Consensus About Running Oversized Bullets?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > What's the Consensus About Running Oversized Bullets?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 07:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Default What's the Consensus About Running Oversized Bullets?

Hello,

I’m wondering what the consensus is on running bullets 0.003” oversized?

My Gewehr 88 has an “S” barrel, and was rechambered to take the original 7.92x57JS load – the S Patrone, the bullet of which had a body of 0.321” and a short driving band of 0.323”.

I’ve been shooting low- to mid-range loads (depending upon whose data you go by) using 0.318” bullets.

Now, those bullets are on the custom price side of the line. Premium 0.321” bullets (think LeveRevolution) are actually cheaper, and standard .32-20 bullets are less expensive yet.

Additionally, I’d like something that starts engaging the rifling well just a bit sooner – I’d like to play with this, anyway, see how accuracy is.

Does anyone see any problem with this? My bore slugs to 0.310”x0.318”.

I don’t personally think it would be an issue.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Josh

P.S. It’s been suggested I cast for this rifle. Honestly, I don’t want to. I don’t like the idea of casting for smokeless rifles. Just a silly idea I have. Thanks again, J.S.

Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #2

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 756

Most likely not an issue. Why not shoot GC lead? You would have no worries. Run them about 2200fps and they are easy on the shoulder, pretty economical, very accurate.
Moyer's Cast Bullets Pricelist, cast lead handgun bullets, cast lead rifle bullets, lead roundballs, lead maxi balls, lead minie balls

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:27 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Up to 0.002" over groove diameter is no problem at all.
For lead bullets, I have loaded up to 0.004" over groove diameter without any issue.

Last edited by noylj; 10-21-2011 at 08:04 PM.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:00 AM   #4

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks folks.

Due to the "S" chambering, I tried a Nosler Ballistic tip in it exactly once with a starting load when the rifle was first bought.

I didn't like the way the recoil felt and so I have the remaining 49 sitting here pending a trade.

I know cast bullets. I do cast my own in .452" and round balls for two muzzleloaders.

Just seems wrong to me, like putting a Minie Ball down a Kentucky Rifle would be wrong.

Not saying I'll never fire cast, but I do like to keep close to the original loads as possible. That means I fire round nosed 200 grain at about 2200fps (a starting load) and 150grn spitzer at about 2500fps (just a hair over starting), both jacketed. The S-Patrone would be a nice load to replicate too with the original bullet size, if safe.

As I understand it, the domestically-produced "8mm Mauser" is downloaded and with a 0.321" bullet so as to keep liability down for these old girls.

This is what lead me to believe that this load might be safe. Definitely not looking to be too hard on the rifle or anything else!

Thanks!

Josh

P.S. A typo was pointed out to me. In the original post, I said .32-20 when I meant .32 Special. Sorry about that! J.S.

Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Last edited by Joshua M. Smith; 10-21-2011 at 12:07 AM.