Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   What's the Consensus About Running Oversized Bullets? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/whats-consensus-about-running-oversized-bullets-50192/)

Joshua M. Smith 10-20-2011 07:50 AM

What's the Consensus About Running Oversized Bullets?

Hello,

Im wondering what the consensus is on running bullets 0.003 oversized?

My Gewehr 88 has an S barrel, and was rechambered to take the original 7.92x57JS load the S Patrone, the bullet of which had a body of 0.321 and a short driving band of 0.323.

Ive been shooting low- to mid-range loads (depending upon whose data you go by) using 0.318 bullets.

Now, those bullets are on the custom price side of the line. Premium 0.321 bullets (think LeveRevolution) are actually cheaper, and standard .32-20 bullets are less expensive yet.

Additionally, Id like something that starts engaging the rifling well just a bit sooner Id like to play with this, anyway, see how accuracy is.

Does anyone see any problem with this? My bore slugs to 0.310x0.318.

I dont personally think it would be an issue.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Josh

P.S. Its been suggested I cast for this rifle. Honestly, I dont want to. I dont like the idea of casting for smokeless rifles. Just a silly idea I have. Thanks again, J.S.

jpattersonnh 10-20-2011 09:08 PM

Most likely not an issue. Why not shoot GC lead? You would have no worries. Run them about 2200fps and they are easy on the shoulder, pretty economical, very accurate.
Moyer's Cast Bullets Pricelist, cast lead handgun bullets, cast lead rifle bullets, lead roundballs, lead maxi balls, lead minie balls

noylj 10-20-2011 10:27 PM

Up to 0.002" over groove diameter is no problem at all.
For lead bullets, I have loaded up to 0.004" over groove diameter without any issue.

Joshua M. Smith 10-21-2011 12:00 AM

Thanks folks.

Due to the "S" chambering, I tried a Nosler Ballistic tip in it exactly once with a starting load when the rifle was first bought.

I didn't like the way the recoil felt and so I have the remaining 49 sitting here pending a trade.

I know cast bullets. I do cast my own in .452" and round balls for two muzzleloaders.

Just seems wrong to me, like putting a Minie Ball down a Kentucky Rifle would be wrong.

Not saying I'll never fire cast, but I do like to keep close to the original loads as possible. That means I fire round nosed 200 grain at about 2200fps (a starting load) and 150grn spitzer at about 2500fps (just a hair over starting), both jacketed. The S-Patrone would be a nice load to replicate too with the original bullet size, if safe.

As I understand it, the domestically-produced "8mm Mauser" is downloaded and with a 0.321" bullet so as to keep liability down for these old girls.

This is what lead me to believe that this load might be safe. Definitely not looking to be too hard on the rifle or anything else!

Thanks!

Josh

P.S. A typo was pointed out to me. In the original post, I said .32-20 when I meant .32 Special. Sorry about that! J.S.