What's the best self defense ammo?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > What's the best self defense ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What's the best self defense ammo?

Ok, I'm curious to hear from you guys on this subject. I've been hearing a lot lately of the newest self defense ammo coming out and I was wondering what you guys consider "The best". By the best, I mean a good compromise between penetration and expansion. Several relatively new rounds come to mind such as the Corbon DPX, Federal HST, Winchester enhanced Ranger T, and the classic Gold Dot. I've used Hornady TAP in the past with good results but am leaning towards the new Federal HST when I replace my aging ammo supply soon. Any thoughts on the subject?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-06-2008, 05:29 AM   #2

i've heard good stuff about federal HST. one of the problems encountered with the older hydrashok rounds is that it becomes stuffed with material when passing through heavy clothing. once the round entered the body it would not expand to it's full potential. this supposedly does not occur with HST.
i have winchester t-series in my off duty weapon. last year the dept armorer and i tested a couple of different rounds in some old vests. without getting into specifics about the balistic ratings of the different vests and trauma plates we shot at, let's say that ranger t-series was impressive. with that said, winchester has a very strict policy in selling these rounds. they are pretty hard to get.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

What ever shoots good out of my 45 is what I will put in it. Right now she is loaded with 185gr Speer Gold Dots. I tell you what they loaded them suckers on the stout side thats for sure.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2737 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 231

GOLT DOT.

The ONLY bullet that can guarantee 100% weight retention. They actually GAIN weight as they go. The jacket is plated on and cannot come off. They can adjust the jacket thickness one molecule at a time to get the perfect combination of jacket thickness-hollow point configuration.

I have seen the results of many different HP bullets in human flesh. The Gold Dot is as close to perfection as we can get right now. I would not trust my life to anything less.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:01 PM   #5

i was BSing with a guy at the range who turned out to be a Federal Air Marshal. at the end of his session i saw him load up gold dots into his Sig. i don't know if that's what they use while on duty but his profession gives him credibility regarding his choice of ammo.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:25 AM   #6

Anything that will turn your intended target into an organ donor with as few shots as necessary.

Member GCO

Old 06-07-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8861 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Would not feel poorly equipped with gold dot, corbon, Winchester Ranger, or hydra-shoks. But for an autoloader, must be a round that feeds and cycles WITHOUT FAIL EVERY TIME. Otherwise, you are holding a poorly shaped club.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:21 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorst294 View Post
By the best, I mean a good compromise between penetration and expansion. I've used Hornady TAP in the past with good results

You've used ammo in self-defense with good results??? How so? Maybe I should be asking YOU some questions about what's best..lol

I have an FEG Walther PPK clone in .380 that won't reliably feed Hornady XTP's because of the truncated cone design. It loves Speer GDHP though and just about any FMJ I feed it. Can't go wrong with Speer GDHP - they feed like FMJ's feed and from what I've read, they have excellent one-shot stop statistics.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-08-2008 at 07:24 PM.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
You've used ammo in self-defense with good results??? How so? Maybe I should be asking YOU some questions about what's best..lol

I have an FEG Walther PPK clone in .380 that won't reliably feed Hornady XTP's because of the truncated cone design. It loves Speer GDHP though and just about any FMJ I feed it. Can't go wrong with Speer GDHP - they feed like FMJ's feed and from what I've read, they have excellent one-shot stop statistics.
No, I just meant they cycle reliably in my .45's and they are pretty acurate in my guns.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorst294 View Post
No, I just meant they cycle reliably in my .45's and they are pretty acurate in my guns.
I've noticed most gun reviews use TAP ammo for accuracy testing. It is very expensive, especially in rifle cartridges.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"