Whats the best .40S&W rounds? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Whats the best .40S&W rounds?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 02:43 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Magtech are very good

Old 04-10-2009, 05:19 AM   #12

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I shoot Double Tap ammo in my Glock and my Hi-Point carbine , both in 40 S&W. Powerful and accurate ammo. 165 Gr. works great.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 03-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenslay3r View Post
Just ordered my first firearm, a Beretta PX4-Storm in .40S&W. Now I need to know what kind of ammo I should buy for it?

What make, what type, and what grains will work well with this pistol?

For defense rounds: Should I get hollow-points, or is there newer/better technology out there these days? I'm looking for "more damage, less over-penetration", and don't mind spending some extra $$$

For Training: I want a cheaper round, that will give a similar shooting experience.

Thanks!

Hey man I dont know how long ago this thread was but I read it and answered it, so if you figured out which one you like already or are going to use then it's kewl, but if not.... Then I suggest Remington Golden saber rounds... they are GREAT! Absolutely the best bar none... the rest that people have said with the exception of CARBON are good too, but the golden saber is tops... as a matter of fact let me find this..... ok here's this for you to see.

Pay attention to Velocity, Penetration, Energy,BPW which is hydrostatic shock,and OSS(One-shot stop) and the golden saber is great overall. I somewhat color coordinated this comparison chart I found to make it a little easier to see.. You said you wanted more damage over penetration, so if you notice the golden saber actually only penetrates 12 inches which is great because it wont go through and hit someone behind target, and the energy is a great number plus it has the highest One-shot stop overall that means its better. Plus the golden sabers are engineered to give you a match grade accuracy.
So for personal defense I would go with Remington Golden Saber rounds, for training or range use, that would depend on your handgun because some ammo doesn't work well with certain guns... That's why I like Springfield XD(XDm) fires anything great ALL the time and you can even use really crappy ammo for training lol.
bullet-comparison.jpg  

Last edited by Deathsniper; 03-25-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3096 Times on 1617 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Hydrostatic shock at handgun velocities is a myth. It does not become a factor until you exceed 2000 fps. None of these loads reach that threshhold.

The "OSS" percentage is a nice reference as it evaluates "real world" performance. What it does not evaluate is the mindset of the target, the drug/alcohol level of the target, the determination of the target, etc. It considers torso hits in actual shootings. If bullet "A" is used frequently in high drug use populations full of hardened criminals that are buffed up after long prison terms, it may have an "OSS" that is lower than a bullet that is heavily used in areas frequented by less viable targets.

Be careful with the Golden Sabres. There are two different versions. One is "bonded core" and the other is not. The bonded core is a good bullet. The unbonded version is crap. It will easily shed its jacket and lose mass which will compromise penetration.

The Hydroshok is a good bullet design, but some guns do not reliably feed it.

Look for a round that is labeled for LE only. It is not an offense to possess this ammo (except maybe in New Jersey), but the LE ammo usually is propelled by triple base, low flash powder so you won't wreck your night vision

The Double Tap Gold Dot looks good on paper, but shoot it at night to see how much flash you get.

I use the Double Tap 10mm Gold Dot for carry only because they are the only ones making that caliber with that bullet.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-25-2010, 07:25 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Don't know about the best but here is what I use (which I personally believe are the best ):

Defense:
Federal HST 155 grain (I'd prefer 165 gr but this is what I found)
Winchester Ranger SXT 165 grain

Target:
Federal Champion (from Walmart for $13.67/box of 50)

Old 03-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Hydrostatic shock at handgun velocities is a myth. It does not become a factor until you exceed 2000 fps. None of these loads reach that threshhold.

The "OSS" percentage is a nice reference as it evaluates "real world" performance. What it does not evaluate is the mindset of the target, the drug/alcohol level of the target, the determination of the target, etc. It considers torso hits in actual shootings. If bullet "A" is used frequently in high drug use populations full of hardened criminals that are buffed up after long prison terms, it may have an "OSS" that is lower than a bullet that is heavily used in areas frequented by less viable targets.

Be careful with the Golden Sabres. There are two different versions. One is "bonded core" and the other is not. The bonded core is a good bullet. The unbonded version is crap. It will easily shed its jacket and lose mass which will compromise penetration.

The Hydroshok is a good bullet design, but some guns do not reliably feed it.

Look for a round that is labeled for LE only. It is not an offense to possess this ammo (except maybe in New Jersey), but the LE ammo usually is propelled by triple base, low flash powder so you won't wreck your night vision

The Double Tap Gold Dot looks good on paper, but shoot it at night to see how much flash you get.

I use the Double Tap 10mm Gold Dot for carry only because they are the only ones making that caliber with that bullet.
You have very good points and I thought of those..... but imagine me writing all I did PLUS what you added lol... TOOOOOO MUCH WRITING lol but yeah I agree with you 100 percent

Old 03-25-2010, 10:01 PM   #17

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Hornady Critical Defense 165 Grain Flex Tip eXpanding rounds. That's what I keep in my M&P .40

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=147764

Old 03-26-2010, 02:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleTheDog View Post
Hornady Critical Defense 165 Grain Flex Tip eXpanding rounds. That's what I keep in my M&P .40

Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition 40 S&W 165 Grain Flex Tip eXpanding Box of 20 - MidwayUSA
Yeah those are sweet I like them... I love what the polymer(flex tip) insert does

Old 03-29-2010, 12:24 AM   #19

Default If You Re-load

If you re-load, my answer is to de-rate my .40's to a 9mm power factor for purposes of timing and training for multiple targets. It uses a bit less powder and beats up my wrist and elbows somewhat less.

I have used Berry plated lead bullets, and found them to be satisfactory. On the basis of a friend's recommendation, I will be ordering Montana Gold for my next lot. My experience has been that Ranier's plating seems to flake off a bit in the loading process. Ranier and Berry do well in Glocks, if that is a question.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:44 AM   #20

Default You Tube Videos

This guy- "Tennessee Outdoors Nine" has some great videos on Self Defense Ammo. He tests all kinds of .40 S&W and 9MM ammo. So just do a search on YouTube.

Here is a quick link to one.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tnoutdoors9#p/c/BDB9A9740F47C67A/27/Nc5ToYdcq7A