Whats the best .40S&W rounds?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Whats the best .40S&W rounds?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2007, 11:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Whats the best .40S&W rounds?

Just ordered my first firearm, a Beretta PX4-Storm in .40S&W. Now I need to know what kind of ammo I should buy for it?

What make, what type, and what grains will work well with this pistol?

For defense rounds: Should I get hollow-points, or is there newer/better technology out there these days? I'm looking for "more damage, less over-penetration", and don't mind spending some extra $$$

For Training: I want a cheaper round, that will give a similar shooting experience.

Thanks!

__

Raven

Last edited by ravenslay3r; 10-20-2007 at 11:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-21-2007, 02:29 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenslay3r View Post
Just ordered my first firearm, a Beretta PX4-Storm in .40S&W. Now I need to know what kind of ammo I should buy for it?

For defense rounds: Should I get hollow-points, or is there newer/better technology out there these days? I'm looking for "more damage, less over-penetration", and don't mind spending some extra $$$

For Training: I want a cheaper round, that will give a similar shooting experience.

Thanks!
I like Federal Hydrashocks for defense, I run 230 gr. .45 ACPs, but any good hollow point will work well. Look at Winchester's Sabers or Cor-Bon's defense hollow points.

As for range ammo, go to Walmart and ask for CCI Blazer Brass. I pay about $10/box for .45 ACP. If I shot more than I do, I'd consider hand loading.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:48 PM   #3

Default Ammo:

The best choice in hollow points would be to ask around what LE in your area uses in 40S&W....covers many liability/choice issues.

CCI/Speer Gold Dot hollow points are very good. What ever you choose, shoot some for practice, function and accuracy BEFORE carrying them.

I would NEVER even consider putting Corbon ammo in my firearms or yours.
far too many Corboomed & destroyed pistols in 40S&W by this ammo. Often exceeds SAAMI specs for safe pressure in this round.

Try verious FMJ loads to see which shoots best in your 40S&W.
wither 165's or 180 grains. Then shop and buy by the case to save more $$$.

Get a couple of extra mags for the pistol...in case Hillary gets elected and Shummer gets another hi-cap mag ban passed !

Old 12-20-2007, 12:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgunsmith View Post
The best choice in hollow points would be to ask around what LE in your area uses in 40S&W....covers many liability/choice issues.

CCI/Speer Gold Dot hollow points are very good. What ever you choose, shoot some for practice, function and accuracy BEFORE carrying them.

I would NEVER even consider putting Corbon ammo in my firearms or yours.
far too many Corboomed & destroyed pistols in 40S&W by this ammo. Often exceeds SAAMI specs for safe pressure in this round.

Try verious FMJ loads to see which shoots best in your 40S&W.
wither 165's or 180 grains. Then shop and buy by the case to save more $$$.

Get a couple of extra mags for the pistol...in case Hillary gets elected and Shummer gets another hi-cap mag ban passed !
Not sure what U.S laws are like regarding ammo, but would suggest going light and fast, rather than the opposite.
Speer Gold dots in 155gr @ approx 1200fps from a 4" barrel should do plenty damage and stop most people.
The 165gr option is also not a bad idea. Same for Federal Hydrashok. Keen to see how the 165gr Ranger SXT's perform, that might also be a good option, if you can get your hands on them.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Oh great, here we go with the light and fast vs heavy and slow argument.

IMHO .40 cannot be made to go fast enough to qualify for the light and fast argument. Leave the light bullets to the 9mm/.38/.357 crowd.

The bullet MUST penetrate deeply enough to reach vital organs to do damage. Just about anything can get to the vitals on a thinly clothed, bad guy facing you straight off with out any intermediate cover. When the perfect conditions do not exist, you must be able to penetrate deeply enough to do the job. Heavy is better as long as it has enough speed to drive it deep.
.40 180 gr Gold Dot is the standard by which all other .40 ammo is judged.

ps. I do like light and fast. In rifles. 5.56 64 gr Winchester power point @3000 fps cures ones desire to do evil toward ones fellow man.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:21 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You're going to get as many opinions as there are members of the forum. I don't think you can beat any of the modern hollow point rounds made by the major manufacturers. They are all competitive and they all perform well. Once upon a time that wasn't the case, but the various ammo makers are all competing for our dollars and therefore put out quality products.

There is no perfect round, or magic bullet. Forum members will tell you what they use, and why, but what works for me, won't necessarily work for you.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 01-04-2008, 03:59 AM   #7

Federals hst and tactical loadings. remington golden sabers, speer golddots, winchester's ranger t line, Any of these will serve you well.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenslay3r View Post

You will have to try a bunch of different ones to really find which works best in YOUR gun.

Check with you local LE agency and find out what they use.

Assuming that you chose Federal 180gr Hydra Shok's, then you could use Federal 180gr American Eagle because it prints very close, and is a whole bunch cheaper.

Thanks!
Hope this helps.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #9

Default bobkreeger

take a look at buffalobore.com & their 155 gr hp +P loads for the .40 S&W. Loaded for self defense, it's what I carry in my .40's.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:17 AM   #10
zap

I shoot Rangers or Hornaday Tap