What type of action would this gun be?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > What type of action would this gun be?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 4

Default What type of action would this gun be?

Hey, not entirely sure if this is the right area to ask this, but it's the closest I could find.

Suppose that a rifle, between shots, had to have the next bullet fed into it from the magazine via the push of a button distinct from the trigger. Apart from that, the rifle is ready to fire once that next bullet is fed in. From what I've been able to tell, it doesn't qualify as semi-auto, so I'm wondering what the correct term would be.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21988 Times on 12398 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDJonathan View Post
Hey, not entirely sure if this is the right area to ask this, but it's the closest I could find.

Suppose that a rifle, between shots, had to have the next bullet fed into it from the magazine via the push of a button distinct from the trigger. Apart from that, the rifle is ready to fire once that next bullet is fed in. From what I've been able to tell, it doesn't qualify as semi-auto, so I'm wondering what the correct term would be.
pictures are worth a thousand words. names and markings as well as any numbers with clear pictures would help us help you.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
pictures are worth a thousand words. names and markings as well as any numbers with clear pictures would help us help you.
I apologize for not clarifying, this gun does not exist. It's a fictional heavy-duty sniper rifle wielded by a professional monster slayer in a book I'm writing, and this monster slayer needs to be able to switch between shooting wooden bullets and silver bullets, along with others, on the fly, since he deals with so many different types of monsters. Hence he has a rifle that's fed by four separate magazines, and buttons on the handle let him choose which type of bullet the next shot is going to be.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDJonathan View Post
I apologize for not clarifying, this gun does not exist. It's a fictional heavy-duty sniper rifle wielded by a professional monster slayer in a book I'm writing, and this monster slayer needs to be able to switch between shooting wooden bullets and silver bullets, along with others, on the fly, since he deals with so many different types of monsters. Hence he has a rifle that's fed by four separate magazines, and buttons on the handle let him choose which type of bullet the next shot is going to be.
sorry, but i try and deal with real firearms and not mythical ones. make something up like other writers do.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7684 Times on 4174 Posts
Likes Given: 16104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55

I think he is contemplating an invention and wants to know if a magazine that requires an additional action to load the next round would still be legally defined as semi-automatic. I would guess not, just as magazine fed bolt actions are not semi-automatic. But I expect the inventor of such a mechanism could name it. Perhaps "delayed action" or "triple-action."

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

SDJonathan Likes This 
Old 08-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
I think he is contemplating an invention and wants to know if a magazine that requires an additional action to load the next round would still be legally defined as semi-automatic. I would guess not, just as magazine fed bolt actions are not semi-automatic. But I expect the inventor of such a mechanism could name it. Perhaps "delayed action" or "triple-action."
he's writing a book. the gun is fictional. books, tv and movies, they can make any kind of gun do anything.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
So something like this wouldn't meet the definition of any existing type of action? That's good to know, I appreciate it. I guess I'll just make up something, and those two are good ideas. Mind if I use them?

Old 08-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #8

Liked 1079 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 710

To whom would I address this to:

Can we get some additional smileys on this forum? Some forums have a much wider range. Right now, a head shaking smiley is what I'd like.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #9
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7684 Times on 4174 Posts
Likes Given: 16104

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDJonathan
Mind if I use them?
Alright by me.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 08-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
he's writing a book. the gun is fictional. books, tv and movies, they can make any kind of gun do anything.
Well yeah, but I'm just looking to know what this fictional gun would be defined as. The narrative describes the gun in detail and I want to make sure the description makes sense, so I was trying to figure out what the term would be for this. Apparently there is no term for something like this, so I guess I will be making something up though.