What style of press should I start with? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > What style of press should I start with?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 02:49 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Whar Rick said. I believe a single stage is the way to go.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:10 AM   #12

Liked 43 Times on 21 Posts

To be honest, even though I just recently got started and ponied up for the XL650 I'm already looking into a single stage for loading .308 & 7MM. I went with the progressive though because I have started consolidating platforms and I plan on reloading a lot of .45 & .223, possibly 9MM down the road if prices stay stupid forever. Anything else I want to load for like .308, .44 MAG, 7MM & 30-30 will be done on the single stage for more controlled loads at far less volume.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 337 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I started with a Lee Turret press and love it. I use it like a single stage press but with all of the dies set up. I'm currently loading for 6 calibers and I have enough turrets to keep all of my dies setup. I have added a Lee single stage and it has a Lee universal decapping tool in it. Just for the oops moments with the hand-priming tool. The Lee single stage has a quick change bushing system that allows you to keep your dies setup and just pop the in and out.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:59 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Gracias

Thanks for the replies.

I'm probably going to start with the single stage, like a Rock Chucker, just so I can develop some good habits and patterns with each step. I also don't want to break the bank getting started.

I took a class on reloading and have read one book, but I'll try to check out the ABC's as well. More information is not a bad thing.

Last edited by RedBengal; 07-01-2013 at 04:01 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-01-2013, 02:30 AM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBengal View Post
Thanks for the replys.

I'm probably going to start with the single stage, like a Rock Chucker, just so I can develop some good habits and patterns with each step. I also don't want to break the bank getting started.

I took a class on reloading and have read one book, but I'll try to check out the ABC's as well. More information is not a bad thing.
a lot of reloading data manuals usually have lots of information on the reloading process as well, plus you're gonna need a few anyways. on loading data manuals, try to get the mos current volume out as it will have up to date information on the current powders available.

check our Lee Precision Equipment. lots of good equipment at an affordable price. i usually use MidwayUSA as one of my go to places to order equipment an supplies from. excellent service, decent prices and fast shipping.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:48 AM   #16

Liked 43 Times on 21 Posts

+1^^^^ AXXE55 Midway has always been good to me. In fact I ordered a Wilson case gauge last Wednesday and the shipping date said 10/2 but I received it by Saturday and I was able to jump in the press and run a batch. It was a nice surprise to get my product early and no extra $$ was needed. I would recommend MidwayUSA to anyone shopping online. Cheaperthandirt on the other hand lost a customer for good due to horrible shipping and crappy service after the fact. It was a breath of fresh air using MWUSA after that experience.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
+1^^^^ AXXE55 Midway has always been good to me. In fact I ordered a Wilson case gauge last Wednesday and the shipping date said 10/2 but I received it by Saturday and I was able to jump in the press and run a batch. It was a nice surprise to get my product early and no extra $$ was needed. I would recommend MidwayUSA to anyone shopping online. Cheaperthandirt on the other hand lost a customer for good due to horrible shipping and crappy service after the fact. It was a breath of fresh air using MWUSA after that experience.
i have been using them for several years now and have no complaints. another good one i like to use is MidSouth Shooters Supply. they too have good service, decent prices and fast shipping. they carry quite a lot of stuff, but not near as much as MidwayUSA. another good source is Brownell's for parts. god service, not cheap, but quality products and tools, and decent shipping.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #18

Default Kiss

Starting out reloading on a Dillon 650 would be like starting out motorcycle riding a 850lb Harley Road King or Hyabusa crotch rocket. Sure you might get going..but is it fun and safe?? IMHO Keep It Simple.
Start w a RCBS single stage press and read all u can first. There are lots of ways to screw up. Keep the early press for some stuff and 'graduate' to a Dillon later..you'll be a safer happier loader.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #19

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

To me a Dillion press would be good if loading 1000 of rounds at a time. Seems like it would be a pain in the but trying to work out a good load for you favorite bolt action rifle or pistol for that matter. Plus changing out dies and having to reset everything for a different round sounds like it woild be a pain. With a single press you just swap out the dies and your done.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor View Post
To me a Dillion press would be good if loading 1000 of rounds at a time. Seems like it would be a pain in the but trying to work out a good load for you favorite bolt action rifle or pistol for that matter. Plus changing out dies and having to reset everything for a different round sounds like it woild be a pain. With a single press you just swap out the dies and your done.
IMO, if you reload a lot of ammo like some pistol rounds or 223 or 308 where you do lots of shooting, then progressive reloaders are the way to go. but if your goal is more in the line of accuracy and not shooting huge quantities of ammo, then a single stage is a very good choice. i reload all of my ammo on a single stage and it does take a little longer to reload my 45 acp ammo, it does work quite well.

but IMO, a single stage press is still the best choice for a beginning reloader. it allows them to concentrate on one step at a time and to learn the proper steps and procedures of reloading. IMO, a progressive is what you advance to once you learn how to reload and want to reload huge amounts of ammo.