What are some good pistol powders for the 45, 38 and 357? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > What are some good pistol powders for the 45, 38 and 357?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman46 View Post
fprefect,

we old guys stick to the tried and true, old-line, hercules (now alliant) powders like unique, b'eye and 2400 while the younger folks tout stuff we've never seen the need to buy...stick with a winner must be our motto.

i wonder which will occur...if new reloaders will abandon old standards or powder companies stop producing them because of slowing sales...

budman

ignorance is fixable, stupidity is forever...
You must be around 180 years old because I'm 57 and been using Tight Group for some time now. Change is good.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:04 AM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hey guys...I've been using universal in my 45 and 38 loads because I have it. My 357 gets H110, so does my 44.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-14-2010, 02:17 AM   #43

Liked 1944 Times on 1071 Posts
Likes Given: 1278

I use titegroup for all my pistol calibers. Everything from .380 to 44 mag and 45 colt. Titegroup really shines when you load big cartridges like 44 mag and 45 colt. A lot of powders are are sensitive to their position in relation to the primer. You can end up with a much faster bullet if the powder was up against the primer than if it was by the bullet. That is why a lot of cowboy shooters will point their revolver up toward the sky before they shoot. With titegroup the position of the powder makes almost no diference whatsoever. It is an extemely reliable charge. Very consistant.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:13 AM   #44

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

The first Unique I bought was bulk and sold to me in a paper bag over 30 years ago, I put it in old IMR tin containers and to this day it's still good and no reddish dust residue. Unique and Universal are great powders. I've used Blue Dot and for me it burned very clean in 45 ACP. for 357 mag and 44 mag I have used H110 and 296. I have seen gas cutting on a Colt Trooper top strap that a guy hot loaded H110, it was pretty bad. I've also used Accuracy Arms #9 for my 44 mag with Keith 245 gr. hard cast lead, I found that powder to be very good for an even burn for high velocity lead bullets. Recovered bullets didn't have base melt signs or stripping of groove cuts. I happen to like powders that fill or are compressed in the cases under the seated bullets, less likely to end up having a double charge of a distructive nature. I have a blown cylinder of Super Blackhawk to prove that point.

Last edited by Viking; 12-15-2010 at 06:27 PM.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #45

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

hunter joe,

some days i feel 180, but am only 64...i'm just slow to jump into these newfangled, less-than-30-year-old powders. i'll wait until they mature a bit!

tools are different, i love new technology.

budman

Old 12-15-2010, 06:25 PM   #46

Quote:
hunter joe,

some days i feel 180, but am only 64...i'm just slow to jump into these newfangled, less-than-30-year-old powders. i'll wait until they mature a bit!

tools are different, i love new technology.
Wow! At that rate by the time they mature you may not be able to pull the trigger, got you beat by 4 years and most of the time I act and work like I'm in my 30's. On the other hand I'm not all that enamored with a lot of new high tech stuff like polymer framed pistols though I own an XDm. I have used a few of the newer powders and have found them to be very good. The thing that concerns me is that so many manufactures have changed hands and in the process some powders may have been slightly altered, H110 and 296 back in the Speer #10 manual were a bit more spread where now they are considered as being pretty much the same. I notice also that loads in new manuals are down from my 1979 Speer manual, probably from lawyers sueing manufacturers for the stupidity of people doing things outside of the safety perimiters.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #47

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

viking,

i'm reluctant to replace a winner with an unknown, so red dot, unique, 2400 and 4895 won't be replaced by a newer formulation unless it's a great sale. i bought 32 lbs of aa 5744 when it first came out at $6/lb...shoulda bought 132!

re. the loading data: my speer no. 6 shows loads for .45 auto rim that would give an attorney a coronary and my lyman no. 42 shows .44 magmun 2400 loads 2.4 grains higher than the current manual.

i'm not a fan of alloy-frame firearms, but as an old polymer chemist, i'm impressed with the poly-framed guns available. i don't care for glocks, but a pal let me play with his ruger mod. 345 and i was so impressed i bought a mk iii 22/45. watching the guys on handguns on the sportsman's channel abuse a springfield xd (m) 9mm over the past few months makes me think i need one of them, too.

i only think like i'm in my 30's...then i pay heavily for my mistake!

budman

Old 12-17-2010, 06:26 AM   #48

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
viking,

i only think like i'm in my 30's...then i pay heavily for my mistake!

I'm right up there with Viking, and it never fails to amaze me how the brain never seems to synchronize with the body when it comes to age. I constantly plan and think and sometimes act like 25 when I know damn well it ain't true, and yes, pay for it later, for days.

The old stuff works...just plain and simple. It may not be the easiest to meter--BTW I get great consistency (std dev) with Herco (if I weigh each round), or the cleanest--Bullseye, Unique, 2400?--but they are proven powders in hundreds if not thousands of load combinations. Hell, let's face it, some of them just smell damn good!

Yes the max pressures have come down. I don't know why... maybe to compensate for some lighter arms. Definitely some due to the more litigious nature of today's society. As a rule, I don't normally load for max velocity, but accuracy. Still, a couple of my best loads are above today's published standards, and are not dangerous by any measure.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, there are a couple that I will try just for the experience.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:22 PM   #49

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Technically, Hodgdon owns Winchester powder and the plant (not owned by Hodgdon) pours the same batch of powder in both HP-38 and WW231 cans.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:32 AM   #50

I have been using IMR 800X for .40 S&W because the load charts show that it has high velocities for rather low pressures, trouble is there is not a lot of info for various bullet weights. Compressed charges burn very clean and show no signs of pressure. The big issue is it doesn't meter evenly so it's a bit more time consuming weighing loads so I mainly use it for defensive loads. On the other hand, I may end up going back to Blue Dot as I've used it years ago in .45 ACP and .44 mag, for the loads I had it burned quite clean.