What progressive press do you use?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > What progressive press do you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 01:39 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default What progressive press do you use?

Hey all,

Thought I'd start a thread real quick about progressive presses. Hopefully some good info will get put up here for those interested in getting into reloading.

- What do you use?
- Have you had any trouble with it?
- If so, how's the customer service?
- Is it user friendly, including the initial setup?
- If you could go back would you change to a different company?

Personally, I have a Hornady Lock-n-Load progressive press.
I've had a few minor parts break during routine use, but nothing serious. The customer service really shined. They always sent me exactly what I needed as a replacement, no questions asked, for free. It DOES have a lifetime warranty, after all.
It is very user friendly. Changing out dies couldn't be easier. I had to work a bit to get it setup but that's mostly because I didn't know what I was doing. I followed their little setup DVD, and that certainly helped. I guess the hardest part about setup was calibrating the dies accurately.
Sometimes I think I should maybe have gotten a Dillon, just because they seem flawless. I've watched a video or two on YouTube, where people use their Dillons, and they seem really smooth. But, no, I'm happy with my Hornady mostly.

Thoughts?

Always have clean socks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-15-2013, 01:30 AM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I'll bite.

I also have a Hornady LNL-AP.

I only had a couple of little hitches. When I had questions, Hornady CS was very good.

I didn't have much trouble setting it up. I followed the video instructions which were helpful.

I eventually added a casefeeder. If I had to do it all over again I would have probably gone with the Dillon 650.

I do think that caliber changeovers are easier and less expensive with the Hornady.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:18 AM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a Hornady Pro-jector, which is the predecessor to the LNL. I bought it used for $100 with .38/.357 dies and plate. Also came with some brass, powder and bullets so I could get some practice. I like the press, but it has a couple issues. The ejector doesnt work, so I have to remove them by hand. Also every once in a while the primers dont feed. Not really a bid deal, just have to give the tube a shake and all is well. I have been considering upgrading to something newer that also has a case feeder, like the LNL or Dillon 650.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:16 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2864 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

DILLON!!! I bought my RL 450B in 1984. I have loaded literally hundreds of thousands of rounds on it. I have worn out some plastic ends of the primer dispensing tubes, broke a loaded ammo catch basin (temper got the best of me in unrelated issue), the powder tube came unglued from the aluminum base, the threads (Helicoil) in the priming system gave out.

Dillon replaced each item quickly and with out cost to me. They have been stellar in their customer service.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

locutus Likes This 
Old 06-16-2013, 01:50 AM   #5

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

- What do you use?
Dillon 650

- Have you had any trouble with it?
Not a single problem.

- If so, how's the customer service?
I've been told by other Dillon customers that their CS is one of the best in the industry. Their no BS life time warrantee on their presses is awesome.

- Is it user friendly, including the initial setup?
I didn't have any setup issues. I had been loading on a single stage press for over 30 years when I bought my Dillon.

- If you could go back would you change to a different company?
No. I might go with multiple Dillon 550 presses vs a 650 with multiple conversions though.

Stu
www.stu-offroad.com

Last edited by arizona98tj; 06-16-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:25 AM   #6

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

No company today comes close to Dillion. Dillion is what most American manufactures were 75 years ago. Back in the day quality and customer service was important. Dillion is keeping the old traditions alive.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:59 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker
No company today comes close to Dillion. Dillion is what most American manufactures were 75 years ago. Back in the day quality and customer service was important. Dillion is keeping the old traditions alive.
I've heard excellent things about Dillons. I'm still undecided if I'll add one or not. I might next year sometime. The problem is I don't know if I can justify having two presses to my wife. Might have to get rid of the Hornady...

Always have clean socks.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:12 AM   #8

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

I have

RL 550B for small batch stuff.

2 SDB 1 9mm 1 40 smith

and for my 223 plinking ammo I use a Super 1050.

Not a single problem with any of them.

Customer service is OUTSTANDING from Dillon.

RL550 yes so easy a Liberal could set it up.

SDB come set from the factory.

1050 is Set up from the factory. All I needed to do was adjust the powder and bullet seating depth. I am thinking of adding a hydraulic or electric drive to the 1050.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:55 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2864 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm View Post
I've heard excellent things about Dillons. I'm still undecided if I'll add one or not. I might next year sometime. The problem is I don't know if I can justify having two presses to my wife. Might have to get rid of the Hornady...
I also have an RCBS single stage, a MEC 650 Jr, a Lee Load-all in 20 ga, a Lyman 450 lubrisizer and a Magma Case Master. Different tools for diferent jobs. Can you do most everything with a pair of channel locks? Probably, but you still have a socket set and a hammer for specialized tasks.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #10

Liked 43 Times on 21 Posts

Father's Day was good to me!

image-449829642.jpg