What primer to use?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > What primer to use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default What primer to use?

Brand new to reloading and I'm still in the research phase, so please be patient while I'm learning.

I know that for what I'm reloading first (9mm), I need to use small pistol primer.

My question, other than using the correct type of primer (small/large/etc), does the brand (Federal, Win, CCI, etc) play into the recipe?

I ask because I was researching powder and the recipes listed a specific primer maker for that powder, bullet, and type (9mm). I think it was Winchester in this example, can't remember for sure.

So my question is what if I substitured the Winchester w/ say Federal? Does this alter the recipe?

I'm thinking the answer is no, but I wanted to check w/ the experts.

thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 853 Times on 616 Posts
Likes Given: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmanvarn
Brand new to reloading and I'm still in the research phase, so please be patient while I'm learning.

I know that for what I'm reloading first (9mm), I need to use small pistol primer.

My question, other than using the correct type of primer (small/large/etc), does the brand (Federal, Win, CCI, etc) play into the recipe?

I ask because I was researching powder and the recipes listed a specific primer maker for that powder, bullet, and type (9mm). I think it was Winchester in this example, can't remember for sure.

So my question is what if I substitured the Winchester w/ say Federal? Does this alter the recipe?

thanks in advance.
CCI are the best IMHO.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 01-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

There are other threads with a lot of reloading info. Do a forum search. Lots of smart folks here.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks, and I apologize for saying this, but that does not answer my question.

I'm not asking which primer brand is better than the other.

I'm asking if the brand determines the recipe (ie. powder/grains to use for a given bullet).

That being said, I'll keep CCI in mind.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
There are other threads with a lot of reloading info. Do a forum search. Lots of smart folks here.
Thanks. I'm a mod on some other forums (not related to firearms) and I promise I did a search first. I wasn't finding anything that specifically addressed my question. Maybe it's on here somewhere and I could just be blind.

Summary, I did my best to research this before creating a thread.

thanks

Old 01-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3099 Times on 1553 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmanvarn View Post

Theoretically, yes. Most loading data is developed with a specific primer. Some may have bit more "bang" going on than others. Not a huge problem, but when you change primer brands, you should think about redeveloping the load to ensure there is no odd behavior. Especially if you load hot. It's typically not a huge issue, but you shouldn't ignore it either.
Additionally, there are differences in the hardness of the primers themselves. Reputedly Federal are the softest and CCI are the hardest. I did experience light strikes with CCIs in my Colt revolver using CCIs. Most of my revolver loads are done with Federals to alleviate that issue. In anything with a lightened mainspring, you might wish to use softer primers. In an untouched duty type semi auto, I doubt it will ever matter.
thanks in advance.
Of course these days you use what you can get your hands on.
From a quality standpoint, AFAIK, the usual suspects are fine. NOTE: There are some quirks with Remington primers that I don't care for. YMMV.
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Last edited by Overkill0084; 01-16-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have used different primers with same powders or different powders mixed them all. Never any problem. Might get technical for rifle bench rest, but otherwise no worry in performance in 9mm.
Magnum primer are for mags.
You do not need to fret about asking for more specific info.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks to Overkill and 25-5. I think you've answered by question.

Background of why I was asking....I'm getting very close to loading my first rounds and, as you know, components are hard to come by right now and I was getting sick of waiting.

So I found some primers and bought them, but the powder I was looking at used a diff primer in its loading guide.

thanks again for the assistance!

Old 01-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 23

If you are starting with a reduced load as you should be, and working up it should be no problem. If you are starting with a maximum recommended load you may have a problem and it might not be the primer. I never change components in a full house load without working up to it. Different firearms can react differently to the same loads. My .02

Old 01-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye77 View Post
If you are starting with a reduced load as you should be, and working up it should be no problem. If you are starting with a maximum recommended load you may have a problem and it might not be the primer. I never change components in a full house load without working up to it. Different firearms can react differently to the same loads. My .02
Yes, I definately plan on starting w/ a reduced/light load and working my way up.