Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > What is muzzle energy?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DarinCraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 1,170
Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default What is muzzle energy?

I have always used muzzle energy on Midway's site to compare or measure the "worth" of one load to another or one caliber to another. I thought this was pretty accurate until I started researching the .460 Rowland. Several claim it has the power of the 44 mag, but when I research the 44 mag I come up with velocities in the 1500's and energy in the 1200's. When I research the 460, the velocities are similar, but the energy levels at the highest are in the 800's.

Now either my method of comparison is not accurate or the 460 Rowland is being misrepresented.

So can someone explain or point me in the right direction so I understand on what the data actually means for ammo?

Thanks
Darin

__________________
Quote:
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me
DarinCraft is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jpyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sewell,NJ
Posts: 4,815
Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Default

Muzzle Energy is an estimate of the kinetic energy of a projectile given its Mass (m) and Velocity (v). In rough terms the Energy is a function of mass and velocity, simple physics...E=1/2mv^2. Differences in expression, i.e. foot-pounds, etc require some additional math for comparing one cartridge to another.

Try this site for example and more reading

Muzzle Energy Calculator

__________________

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Jpyle is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
I have always used muzzle energy on Midway's site to compare or measure the "worth" of one load to another or one caliber to another. I thought this was pretty accurate until I started researching the .460 Rowland. Several claim it has the power of the 44 mag, but when I research the 44 mag I come up with velocities in the 1500's and energy in the 1200's. When I research the 460, the velocities are similar, but the energy levels at the highest are in the 800's.

Now either my method of comparison is not accurate or the 460 Rowland is being misrepresented.

So can someone explain or point me in the right direction so I understand on what the data actually means for ammo?

Thanks
Darin
The bullet weight in grains is a intricate part of the formula.
__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DarinCraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 1,170
Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Muzzle Energy is an estimate of the kinetic energy of a projectile given its Mass (m) and Velocity (v). In rough terms the Energy is a function of mass and velocity, simple physics...E=1/2mv^2. Differences in expression, i.e. foot-pounds, etc require some additional math for comparing one cartridge to another.

Try this site for example and more reading

Muzzle Energy Calculator
So given that data it is possible for a (now this is a extreme comparison) .22 projectile and a .50 projectile both to have 2000 ft/lbs of energy, but just based on mass alone they would not have the same impact on a soft target. Kind of like a freight train versus a Toyota Camry hitting the same object. Their force is per square foot not total energy exchanged.

Thanks
__________________
Quote:
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me
DarinCraft is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jpyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sewell,NJ
Posts: 4,815
Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
So given that data it is possible for a (now this is a extreme comparison) .22 projectile and a .50 projectile both to have 2000 ft/lbs of energy, but just based on mass alone they would not have the same impact on a soft target. Kind of like a freight train versus a Toyota Camry hitting the same object. Their force is per square foot not total energy exchanged.

Thanks
Possible...maybe, likely...no. .22 and .50 are calibers which have no direct bearing on energy as measured in foot-pounds. In theory a 230 gr .22 and .50 caliber bullet leaving a muzzle at 890 fps would have the same energy. Of course the .22 would need to be much longer or denser to achieve 230 grains of mass in .22 caliber. The damage caused from tissue displacement, trauma, etc is, of course, different for each caliber but the initial energy transfer would be the same. Just as an example, a grain of sand traveling through the vacuum of space at 22,000 MPH can take out a satellite. In this case the energy is skewed towards velocity, not mass but the effect is the same. Another example would be the 30mm cannon on the A-10. A depleted Uranium round is used for tank-busting because of the difference in energy over the standard 30mm round. This time its the mass of the Uranium that ups the energy.
__________________

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Jpyle is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DarinCraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 1,170
Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Possible...maybe, likely...no. .22 and .50 are calibers which have no direct bearing on energy as measured in foot-pounds. In theory a 230 gr .22 and .50 caliber bullet leaving a muzzle at 890 fps would have the same energy. Of course the .22 would need to be much longer or denser to achieve 230 grains of mass in .22 caliber. The damage caused from tissue displacement, trauma, etc is, of course, different for each caliber but the initial energy transfer would be the same. Just as an example, a grain of sand traveling through the vacuum of space at 22,000 MPH can take out a satellite. In this case the energy is skewed towards velocity, not mass but the effect is the same.
I think I wrote that wrong. My comparison would be better worded as a 250 grain .50 cal traveling at 2500 fps would have the energy of about 2200 lbs and a 50 grain .223 traveling at 4500 fps would have roughly that same 2200 lbs.

If I understand you correctly, even though those two rounds have the same energy they will not have the same impact due to their difference in mass. The smaller bullet would simply pass through the target because it cannot transfer their energy as quickly as the larger object.

Not trying to be a pain, I just want to make sure I understand the basic premise before I go out and research.
__________________
Quote:
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me
DarinCraft is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:10 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jpyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sewell,NJ
Posts: 4,815
Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
I think I wrote that wrong. My comparison would be better worded as a 250 grain .50 cal traveling at 2500 fps would have the energy of about 2200 lbs and a 50 grain .223 traveling at 4500 fps would have roughly that same 2200 lbs.

If I understand you correctly, even though those two rounds have the same energy they will not have the same impact due to their difference in mass. The smaller bullet would simply pass through the target because it cannot transfer their energy as quickly as the larger object.

Not trying to be a pain, I just want to make sure I understand the basic premise before I go out and research.
That's mostly correct. The mass and velocity differences of the 2 rounds results in the same energy...the caliber determines the surface area over which that energy is transferred. In your example you are correct in assuming that the smaller caliber, faster moving projectile will pass through more readily that the bigger, slower moving round (assuming neither are hollow points or bullet types designed to deliver maximum energy transfer when any hydrostatic pressure, i.e. flesh and blood, is encountered). Think of a baseball and a knife, can't stab anyone with a baseball because the force is distributed over the contact point which is obviously smaller in a knife. Kevlar works in a similar manner by distributing the energy over a large surface area thereby preventing penetration, but leaving one hell of a bruise due to the energy release which cannot be abated or reduced, thank you Mr. Einstein.
__________________

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Jpyle is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
I think I wrote that wrong. My comparison would be better worded as a 250 grain .50 cal traveling at 2500 fps would have the energy of about 2200 lbs and a 50 grain .223 traveling at 4500 fps would have roughly that same 2200 lbs.

If I understand you correctly, even though those two rounds have the same energy they will not have the same impact due to their difference in mass. The smaller bullet would simply pass through the target because it cannot transfer their energy as quickly as the larger object.

Not trying to be a pain, I just want to make sure I understand the basic premise before I go out and research.
.223s don't pass through a soft target, they tumble and frag. Ugly wound channel!
__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:18 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
That's mostly correct. The mass and velocity differences of the 2 rounds results in the same energy...the caliber determines the surface area over which that energy is transferred. In your example you are correct in assuming that the smaller caliber, faster moving projectile will pass through more readily that the bigger, slower moving round (assuming neither are hollow points or bullet types designed to deliver maximum energy transfer when any hydrostatic pressure, i.e. flesh and blood, is encountered). Think of a baseball and a knife, can't stab anyone with a baseball because the force is distributed over the contact point which is obviously smaller in a knife. Kevlar works in a similar manner by distributing the energy over a large surface area thereby preventing penetration, but leaving one hell of a bruise due to the energy release which cannot be abated or reduced, thank you Mr. Einstein.
Yes but kick that baseball up from 87 mph to 3,200 fps. I think penetration will occur thank you Mr. Einstein.
__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:34 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jpyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sewell,NJ
Posts: 4,815
Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Yes but kick that baseball up from 87 mph to 3,200 fps. I think penetration will occur thank you Mr. Einstein.
Absolutely...anything moving fast enough will penetrate. The baseball analogy was meant to distinguish the relative ease with which a needle or knife can be made to penetrate flesh with little force because all the force is focused to a small area compared to that of a baseball.
__________________

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Jpyle is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
projectile energy Zoidberg Blackpowder & Musket 3 02-13-2009 04:28 AM
The Energy Non Crisis Kelly J Politics, Religion and Controversy 12 06-24-2008 02:30 PM
Kinetic Energy Lassie Blackpowder & Musket 0 07-11-2007 05:45 PM
Solar Energy magoo Survival & Sustenance Living Forum 2 07-04-2007 08:24 PM