Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > What Makes a Caliber Become Popular??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 715 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 761

Default What Makes a Caliber Become Popular??

Just wondering why some calibers get popular and some are nothing more than a footnote in history??

It seems most military cartridges become popular for sporting...
Why didnt any of the Japanese ones become adopted? I remember when it was impossible to find anything but surplus x54, but because the Mosin is cheap and popular they started to make it. I been told there was a time when Arisakas were plentiful and even cheaper, but for years only Norma made brass or ammo for them.

I understand why 8mm Mauser is popular, but why are the 6.5 and 7mm versions too? Arent only Swedish ones 6.5? Spanish and Mexican ones in 7mm? Ive never even seen a Swedish or Spanish Mauser, but apparently their popular enough for the ammo to be carried in stores....

Why is 40 S&W easier to find than 10mm? .38 Spl. and .357 Mag seem to be equally popular.. Why hasnt the 9x23 Mag ever really taken off?
.... Why do calibers like .327 Mag and .356 TSW just disappear?

Last edited by Trez; 11-06-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #2

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 714

Most of the time it comes back to what the arms those calibers were used in. The 6.5x55, 6.5x54... are not equal. The 6.5 still has only a small following. Here in the U.S. we have been fixated on .30 caliber. If the original design for the M1 Garand in .276 Pederson had been adopted, the .30 caliber would have gone the way of the .30-40 Gov't and only used in existing rifles. 7x57 has a small following in the U.S., but the .280 is doing fairly well. The .260 is doing ok, and the 6.5x55 has a small, but dedicated following. Metric calibers have never been really accepted here. Even cartridges such as the .358 Winchester fall out of favor for bigger, faster, longer range even though the new cartridge is still only used in the same way on the same game at the same distances.
The 8mm Rem mag is a great example of a cartridge that never caught on. When Loaded correctly w/ a 220gr bullet at 500 yards has the same energy as a .308 at the muzzle. For most obscure calibers you really need to roll your own.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #3

Liked 4677 Times on 2262 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

There is a performance pro and con for everything but Caliber popularity in the US boils down to 2 things... AVAILABILITY AND PRICE.

...and is typically dictated by the current Millitary and LEO choices.

Ammo firms load large contracts first...the surpluss from these large Government runs is boxed up and sold to you and I on the private market.

Compare bulk .308 Winchester prices to other belted .30 Cal loads. The .308 is cheaper because uncle sam is still cashing large orders for all of our NATO 7.62 MM rifles and light machine guns.

Compare 9 MM with other popular calibers. I can always fnd it for less money than .380 ACP, .25 ACP, and certainly cheaper than .40 S&W and .45 ACP. Again, overflow from large Government contract spilling into the market and holding the prices down compared to rounds that are still very popular but not being loaded...or loaded less... For Uncle Sam.

Getting into cartridges like the .327 Federal Magnum your talking about a round that is "almost" a boutique load. Ruger was involved with the development and it's a great caliber but it's purpose was to allow traditionally small framed 5 shot revolvers to be bored out for 6 rounds without increasing the frame size. Good concept. I own an SP101 .357 and would gladly take 6 rounds of .327 over 5 rounds of .357 BUT I represent a very small market and I'm not going for it when .327 is 40% more expensive.

Tack

Old 11-07-2012, 02:57 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2688 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Some lived on because the WORK! The 7mm and the 6.5 Swede have outstanding sectional density and bring down game much better than their dimunitive size might suggest. The Japanese rifles were well made, yet not "pretty" and Americans like pretty. The Japanese handguns were far too anemic for the power hungry Americans.

The .40 S&W stumbled a bit at first with complaints of poor accuracy. The ACP loving Americans failed to embrace the .40. The LE adoption of the 10mm Short & Weak led to the acceptance by the rest of the Country.

The .356 TSW was never marketed to the public. It was a "craft brew" for the S&W factory shooters to make IPSC Major power factor when the "9mm major" was outlawed. I have never seen pistols or ammo for sale to the public. I have a few rounds given to me by the Smith LE rep for my cartridge collection, but that is about it.

What about the 9mm Federal? The rimmed 9mm round that should have supplanted the .38 Spl. It was a great idea that never caught on.

Why does the .338 Lapua top the wish list of many people when most have no access to a range capable of realizing the potential of the cartridge. WHo really "needs" a .500 S&W, .50 AE, .460 S&W or even .454 Casull when a .44 mag is sufficient for most tasks? Do video games have something to do with the latest round of "more power" desire?

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-07-2012, 03:19 AM   #5

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Sam Colt to guns was what Harlan Sanders was to chicken. It is all about smart promotions. There were many people making fine handguns but Colt was giving his to men in power. Oliver Winchester was a maker of wool clothing but he was a salesman. What Colt and Winchester started has pretty much dictated the choice of arms and amunition for the past 150 years.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

The .356 TSW was never marketed to the public. It was a "craft brew" for the S&W factory shooters to make IPSC Major power factor when the "9mm major" was outlawed. I have never seen pistols or ammo for sale to the public. I have a few rounds given to me by the Smith LE rep for my cartridge collection, but that is about it.

What about the 9mm Federal? The rimmed 9mm round that should have supplanted the .38 Spl. It was a great idea that never caught on.

Why does the .338 Lapua top the wish list of many people when most have no access to a range capable of realizing the potential of the cartridge. WHo really "needs" a .500 S&W, .50 AE, .460 S&W or even .454 Casull when a .44 mag is sufficient for most tasks? Do video games have something to do with the latest round of "more power" desire?
I have a pistol chambered in .356 TSW...

A rimmed 9mm? Awesome!
I always wondered about the 9x23 mag...
From what Ive read everybody loved it, the abillity to hold 9 rds in a 1911, that were as powerful as a .357 mag.. J. Phillips said it was his favorite caliber to shoot outta the Medusa..

I donno... I quit playing the video game I played when they took out the Garand....

Why does everybody say Arisakas are so ugly?? Not saying they look great.. But better than a Mosin, and "ugly" doesnt keep people from buying them...

Old 11-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2688 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
I have a pistol chambered in .356 TSW...

A rimmed 9mm? Awesome!
I always wondered about the 9x23 mag...
From what Ive read everybody loved it, the abillity to hold 9 rds in a 1911, that were as powerful as a .357 mag.. J. Phillips said it was his favorite caliber to shoot outta the Medusa..

I donno... I quit playing the video game I played when they took out the Garand....

Why does everybody say Arisakas are so ugly?? Not saying they look great.. But better than a Mosin, and "ugly" doesnt keep people from buying them...
In my mind you have a REVOLVER chambered in .356 TSW, not a pistol

I never considered the 9 X 23 to be a "Magnum".

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #8

Quote:
In my mind you have a REVOLVER chambered in .356 TSW, not a pistol

I never considered the 9 X 23 to be a "Magnum".
What one? Theres 9x23 Largo and 9x23 Winchester Magnum...

So.... Is there any possibility of me finding .356 TSW? Can it be made from something else?

Last edited by Trez; 11-07-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #9

Quote:

Apparently not, I been reading about people that have them.. There were a few pistols and revolvers chambered in it...

its just a 9x21.5mm?, People say they just use 9x21 brass, or 9x19 if you seat the bullet less...

Old 11-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1822 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 557

The 7.7 Arisaka was hated because it was Japanese. There were a lot of hatred then from the people that fought and the people that lost family members. I dont know why the German rounds did not get the same treatment. It may have a lot to do about how POW's were treated. There are a lot of people that hate the 7.62x39 and for good reason but the cheap ammo and guns won over a lot of non combatants. I know a few people that cringe at the sound of an AK.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."