What length for 308 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

What length for 308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have done a lot of reading in regards to meeting OAL and today was reading something that totally made sense to me and I'm sure to a lot of other reloaders.....what I read was that if you create a dummy made round to meet the lands of your rifle that it will give you the precise over all length of the bullet your wishing to seat.....you get the case in the caliber you wish to reload,in my case being 308 and full length size it using your die,trim to length if desired and then use a dremel tool to cut thin slits in the case neck,once you have done that pick the desired bullet and gently seat it by hand into the neck,once you've done that chamber the round into your rifle this in turn will find the lands and create precise OAL....gently open the bolt and there you will have your dummy round made up.......I'm definitely no expert when it comes to reloading and am learning new things every day,so if I sound rediculous in what I mentioned please correct me if I'm wrong......like I said I'm a novice and trying to learn from the pros.......cheers

Old 06-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1392 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 790

That's one way to do it. Here is another.
http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=97328&highlight=coal

What you are doing is finding the Max OAL for that particular bullet. This technique is of course "Bullet" specific and must be repeated any time you change bullets.

This is Max OAL with the bullet touching the lands. IMO you do not want to load this long. Touching the lands will cause an increase in pressure. As Nosler states in the above link, reduce Max OAL by .015-.030 to start.

Remember the longer your OAL the Higher the pressure, so if you are starting out at say .030 off the lands, increasing OAL to .015 off the lands will also increase pressure. It's better to start long and go short then to start short and go longer.

Last edited by mseric; 06-17-2013 at 01:45 PM.