Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   what kind of reloader should i get. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/what-kind-reloader-should-i-get-52487/)

vito77 11-27-2011 12:57 AM

what kind of reloader should i get.

i am wanting to get into reloading but cant afford the most expensive reloader. can anybidy tell me what would be the best package to get that has every thing i need toget started reloading. i am reloading the .45acp, 223, 22-250 for starters.

lonyaeger 11-27-2011 01:28 AM

A reloader?

RCBS and Hornady both offer good affordable kits that include almost everything you would need except for dies, calipers,etc.

Txhillbilly 11-27-2011 02:17 AM

Vito77,Most of the kits give you stuff that you'll use,and a bunch of other stuff that you don't need or stuff that isn't what you need.

I would suggest just buying a decent press and dies,and then piecing together everything else.
All of the major mfg's make good stuff,but some items are better than others.
You can get some great deals on used scales,powder dispensers,and other things you need on ebay.

If you don't shoot much a single stage press will work fine,but I prefer to use a Turret press.If you really want to crank out a bunch,a progressive is your best bet,but I wouldn't suggest a progressive press to someone just getting started into reloading.
Dillon,Hornady,Lee,Lyman,RCBS,and Redding all make good presses and dies.

Trez 11-27-2011 03:52 AM

I would check locally.... I bought most my reloading stuff off cragslist from a benchrest shooter that was moving, and got a killer deal on top quality set up..

hotload 11-27-2011 06:52 PM

Can't go wrong with Dillion, they have a no BS policy on there product. Even if you buy it used.

ransom63 11-29-2011 04:26 AM

I had never seen how reloading bullets worked, but I knew that I HAD to learn in order to save money for all the shooting I wanted to do. For myself, I looked into the Dillon line of presses & what sold me on their product ( I bought the 550b) was the dvd that can be bought showing in detail every part of the process. I bought my press 8 years ago, my learning process took about a week OF DELIBERATE PATIENCE TO BE POSITIVE I HAD EVERY STEP CORRECT, and after getting it down right, I've been going gangbusters ever since. I guess because I bought a progressive press right off, I am used to it. It is fast once you get up & running. If you can find a used press in great shape, go for it. Take a look at all the makers' websites, read up on reloading & KNOW what exactly you need to get started (small tools, measuring devices & "stuff" to make the job easier). I now reload every pistol caliber except .380. I even cut down my 9mm brass so I can reload 9mm Makarov. To this day, I've never watched another person reload! Whichever press you buy, just take your time starting up, ASK QUESTIONS to those who have the knowledge & you'll find your reloading time some of the best personal quiet time you can spend.
One other very important thing I almost forgot....I READ as much on reloading as I could until I understood what the process entailed. After I read from books, gun forums, etc., THAT'S when I understood what I wanted & how it worked. My "hands-on" education on the press itself went a WHOLE lot faster when I saw in front of me what books & articles described before I ever started.
HAVE FUN & BE CAREFUL

hogrider 11-29-2011 05:04 PM

I also taught myself just by using the how to section of loading manuals. I purchase three different ones but could have got away with just one. But read, read, read. I got a LEE entry level starter kit and after loading about 500 rounds ordered a Dillon 550B. I still use the LEE for load development though so I kinda like the way I did it. But do yourself a favor and buy a good reloading manual. You'll need it for the recipes anyway. The ones I got were Speer, Sierra and Lyman. But Hornady and LEE offer them too but if I remember right the LEE kit came with a manual. It's been a while since I purchased it so I'm not sure. But also remember there are NO DUMB QUESTIONS so ask before doing something dumb. Most of the answers to your questions will be found in the manuals though.

tiberius10721 11-29-2011 05:04 PM

You might want to take a look at the lee classic 4 hole turret press at midway USA for 88 dollars. It has 113 product reviews so you can get plenty of input on this press. I have had this press for ten years and it does everything I need it to do.

dunerunner 11-29-2011 05:10 PM

larry speaks the truth! I am a new reloader and have a hand-me-down RCBS Chucker Jr., a Lyman balance, a case gauge, digital caliper, and bought RCBS and Hornady dies. Recently , I've been looking at a progressive press and the Hornady Lock-n-Load is impressive for the money.

kaido 11-29-2011 07:18 PM

Know every ones put their opinions in and the one I see is usually RCBS and lee reloading kits but I was wondering if I could get an opinion on a reloading kit.

It's the Hornady lock-and-load classic kit. Where I'm at the best deal on it I could find is 499.99 and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it or similar ones?

Right now there's also a sale where if you buy the kit you also get 500 bullets as well.

If its alright with the mods I could post a link to it so everyone knows what it comes with?