What is considered a large pistol verses a small pistol for primers?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > What is considered a large pistol verses a small pistol for primers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What is considered a large pistol verses a small pistol for primers?

Looking at buying primers today and couldn't get an answer as to what is the difference caliber-wise for large and small. I'm going to be reloading 45 ACP (probably large?); 40 S&W (?); and 9mm (small, I expect..) I really appreciate anyone who can clear this up for me. Thanks again!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-13-2010, 12:52 AM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Pistol Primers

Not trying to be a smartass but buy a reloading manual.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-13-2010, 01:51 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMonty View Post
Looking at buying primers today and couldn't get an answer as to what is the difference caliber-wise for large and small. I'm going to be reloading 45 ACP (probably large?); 40 S&W (?); and 9mm (small, I expect..) I really appreciate anyone who can clear this up for me. Thanks again!!
generally it is the case size to quantity of powder to be ignited. the more gunpowder the bigger the primer needs to be. any decent reloading manual will tell you what sort of primer is needed.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:31 AM   #4

Liked 1839 Times on 1025 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

I started with a Hodgden paperback magazine style manual. You can get one for about 15 bucks. You can get a really good one for $25 or $30. Your life is worth so much more than the cost of a book. Don't even think of reloading without a manual. You can get recipes form Hodgdon.com. But you still need a book.

Small pistol vs large pistol-one is simply bigger than the other.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:33 AM   #5

Liked 1839 Times on 1025 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

If you look at a 45 acp and a 9mm it will be obvious which primer is which.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #6

i have the Speer reloading manual rifle & pistol ive read it top to bottom side to side front to back many many times. Get a good Manual and do the same. i never reload for any buddy but me and rarely my brother in law and only pistol for him

Old 06-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you are picking up range brass, or buying some 'indoor range' oriented ammo, then you WILL come across some .45ACP cases using small primers. Check the primer size when you pick them up - WIN NT and FED NT ar two that have the small primer. Plays havoc with your loading when you are cranking the LP primers into your cases, and one gets smashed because it's got a small pocket....... I cull these cases out and save them for when I have enough to load a full box.
Once you get into rifle loading, you'll find some calibers have both sizes too. Pretty soon it becomes just another thing to check.......

Old 06-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2733 Times on 1431 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Believe it or not, when the .357 Mag was introduced, it had large primers. VERY rare to find one of those cases today. Even though the .40 is based on the 10mm case, it has small primers where the 10mm has large. I load a bunch of .45 small primed Speer cases (lead free LE range ammo).

When you get to rifles, the 7.62 X 39 cases are large rifle primed. Except for the R-P cases. Allegedly Remington has started the transition from small to large primers, I have seen a few of the newer large primed cases lately.

The .454 Casull uses small RIFLE primers. These are dimensionally the same as small pistol primers, just hotter and harder.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #9

"What is considered a large pistol verses a small pistol for primers?"

Large ones go in the big holes, small ones go in the little holes.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog57 View Post
If you are picking up range brass, or buying some 'indoor range' oriented ammo, then you WILL come across some .45ACP cases using small primers. Check the primer size when you pick them up - WIN NT and FED NT ar two that have the small primer. Plays havoc with your loading when you are cranking the LP primers into your cases, and one gets smashed because it's got a small pocket....... I cull these cases out and save them for when I have enough to load a full box.
Once you get into rifle loading, you'll find some calibers have both sizes too. Pretty soon it becomes just another thing to check.......
I'm proud to say I've never set off a primer because of this. I run all my brass through a debur and the LEE primer pocket cleaner. The Blazer (Speer) 45acp with the small primer dont fit the large end that are for the large primer pockets. It's extremely irritating cause I refuse to use a small primer on 45acp and throw them away so i get less of a count when I actually buy once fired brass or pick up from the range.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.