what causes squibs?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > what causes squibs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 06:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Default what causes squibs?

So, using same cases, treated the same way, same powder, same primer, same bullet, same everything and all from same batch, what might cause 1 round in say a test batch of 24, to be a squib, that leaves a bullet lodged 3/4 of the way down the barrel? [.38 spc, win brass, 6 grains HS-6, CCI 500 small pistol primers, 125 grain Rainier copper plated Flat point] all weighed, exact same charge, so what happened, why?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

No two things are exactly the same, not even identical twins.
The best any scientist can do is to refer to the numbers.
First, measure everything and establish the baseline.
If everything measured is within tolerance, then check for barrel obstruction.
Since a loader cannot determine a faulty primer, a weak primer could be suspected.

Then there is moisture; one case may have the presence of an unacceptable level of moisture.

Last edited by Ranger-6; 03-09-2012 at 08:01 AM.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2729 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 230

The human factor cannot be disregarded. We all have lapses. There is always the possibility one of the cases did not get sufficient prowder.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8831 Times on 3823 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

It MAY have been light powder charge, but poorly burning primer is also a likely suspect. Be very careful in handling primers once they are out of the package- sizing lube will degrade or completely kill a primer. With a bad spark plug, powder does not get lit properly.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a dillon 650 that will give me a case with no powder in about 1 in 2000. Nobody can figure out why. "Murphys" enforcement teams keep a close eye on amunition loading also I guess

Old 03-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #6

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbfarms View Post
I have a dillon 650 that will give me a case with no powder in about 1 in 2000. Nobody can figure out why. "Murphys" enforcement teams keep a close eye on amunition loading also I guess
im using lee loader in .38, and a lee safety powder scale to measure each scoop to be certain, i dont have case lube, and i only load rounds up to a week before i use em.... someone else here pointed out that the suggested starting load for hs 6 is around 7 grains, so thats probably my problem, tried to use the powder in a way that is less than designed, my own fault i guess, gonna go back to 7 grains and see, i remember it being reliable, just dirty

Old 03-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

With small powder charges, any deviation is major, by % of change. My machine operated powder measure has a practical tolerance of +/- .1 grn, so when I am loading at 4.0 grns, a deviation of .1 grns is 2.5%. This is noticeable enough that I can feel and here it in my 1911.
My load range in 3.7-4.2 for a 200 grn bullet in my .45, using VV N310. That's a total range of 10-11%. You are changing 14% by dropping to 6 grns from 7 grns.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I have never seen a squib load that had unburned powder in the chamber/case.
Some have reported powder contamination, but I have never seen it.
Thus, it is almost always due to NO powder or just a few kernels (operator or measure error).
The solution is to use an RCBS Lock-Out Die and inspect the inside of each case before seating the bullet.
One problem people have is admitting that they may have made a mistake and will blame any thing but themselves.
I had one KB. I load test rounds on my Dillon 1050. I have station 6 set for expand/powder charge, with station 5, the standard powder drop station, empty.
I raise the ram and then pour the powder into the case. Lower the ram, inspect the powder charge, put a bullet on the charged case, and raise the ram--so I can charge the next case.
Once, I lowered the ram and, getting out of rhythm (never get out of rhythm), I poured the charge into the PTE die and poured powder over the case and shell plate. I cleaned off the shell plate, emptied the case, and continued. I had a KB. I assume that some powder got into the empty case in station 6 and I did not inspect it. I thought I had, I am "convinced" I did, but that is the only explanation I can come to.
Thus, now, my rule is if any thing "funny" happens, I clear the shell plate, fix the problem, inspect every case, dump out any charged case(s), and work those cases through singly--knowing that they are out of process and must be treated individually.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #9

Liked 1444 Times on 877 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Be careful with stuff like WD40 on your firearm or around your ammo. It will trash your ammo.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan