What Bullet?? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > What Bullet??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1178 Times on 755 Posts
Likes Given: 2275

A bullet needs to do two things:

1. Fly straight and true with little drag like an arrow.
2. Hit like a Mack truck once it arrives.

Those two things are very different and the better a bullet is at one the worse its going to be at the other. As a result all bullets are a compromise of sorts. A boat tail has less drag, but a flat nose hits harder. Some people lean more towards the arrow and others towards the truck. You can see that same balancing act in bullet weight and even calibers (.45 vs 9mm or .45/70 vs .223).

Then there is also what the rifle likes which might not be what you like.

Last edited by TLuker; 07-08-2012 at 02:20 AM.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #12

Liked 718 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 762

Sorry for the Boat-tail comment, but every "match" grade bullet ive seen does have a boat-tail and in the product description it usually says something to the effect that the boat-tail reduces drag and increases the ballistic coefficient...

Another thing I dont understand.. It seems that Match grade bullets have a hollow point, how does that increase accuracy more than a FMJ spitzer?

So, I take it that this is another one of those questions that doesnt really have a answer - More of a "what your gun likes" type of thing?

Old 07-09-2012, 02:49 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Sorry for the Boat-tail comment, but every "match" grade bullet ive seen does have a boat-tail and in the product description it usually says something to the effect that the boat-tail reduces drag and increases the ballistic coefficient...

Another thing I dont understand.. It seems that Match grade bullets have a hollow point, how does that increase accuracy more than a FMJ spitzer?

So, I take it that this is another one of those questions that doesnt really have a answer - More of a "what your gun likes" type of thing?
You are partially right. There are just so darn many variables to take
into account.
Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg

Old 07-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez

Boat tailed bullets have less drag allowing them to hold accuracy for longer distances and hallow points or better yet ballistic tips mushroom out with greater uniform causing more damage to soft targets without sacrafising much penatration.. Typically

Old 07-16-2012, 05:00 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158 View Post
I dont shoot lead because it fouls up the rifling to fast
I don't shoot jacketed anymore for the very same reason. I am not going for top velocities out of either the rifles or the handguns. I am looking for terminal effectiveness. The jacketed rounds just don't cut it for me anymore unless I am planning on shooting over 250 yards or so.

With proper fit, a decent lube and gas checks, you can push lead to more than adequate velocities to take down elk or moose even out to the 250 yards without leading (or fouling) the barrel. If you choose to use paper patched lead bullets, you can take them up to the jacketed bullet velocities and still not have any fouling. You have to start out with a spotlessly clean barrel though before shooting any lead as the copper fouling tends to really grab onto the lead.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:11 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

Trez, in my limited understanding of match bullets, the small hollow point is used for shifting the weight back a little to provide greater stability in flight. Since in competition we generally don't care about expansion, the greater stability makes more sense. That is also why match grade bullets often don't make very good hunting bullets.

Why the slight shift of weight toward the back of the bullet makes for better stability is probably another one of those questions.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:20 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Josh, are you talking about handguns or rifles when you say factory loads tend to be more fouling than factory FMJs? I can understand it if you are talking about handgun loads. The lead is usually a very soft lead, often swaged from pure lead, and could be undersized for YOUR gun. As indicated earlier, proper fit is absolutely critical to shooting lead without fouling. Commercial manufacturers of ammunition go with the most common diameter of bullet to make it work reasonably well in the most guns. The makers of commercial hard cast bullets use too hard of an alloy and also go with a "one size fits all" type thing in most cases. They cast them too hard so the bullets don't deform in shipping. They often measure between 18-26 on the BHN scales when a BHN of 12-13 is all that is needed for even the magnum handgun loads.

If you are looking to purchase commercial hard cast bullets, try to find a source where you can specify the diameter you need to fit YOUR gun. That will solve most of your fouling issues. Some places will even allow you to choose betwen several different hardnesses to better match the bullet up to your needs.

Happy shooting!

Old 07-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #18

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

I noticed it in my ruger 357 speed six and I shot some led slugs in my rifled 870 that left a mess in the rifiling.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #19

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
"reduces drag and increases the ballistic coefficient" is the same thing.
Which translates to less drop and less susceptible to wind drift.

Quote:
No. Unless your crown is damaged, boat-tails will shoot as accurate as your firearm does. I've shot just about every type of jacketed bullet and they've all shot just as well as the next.

Accuracy has to do with bullet quality; how well the bullet is balanced, how well the bullet holds together remaining balanced.