Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   What Bullet?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/what-bullet-67767/)

Trez 07-06-2012 11:41 PM

What Bullet??

I havent seen this asked, so Im gonna ask it...

How do you choose what bullet to use?
FMJ, Soft Point, Hollow point?
Jacketed, Plated, Lead?
Flat based, Boat-tail?
Weight?

Specifically, my question is: I understand that Boat-tail have less drag and are more accurate.. So why are there still flat based bullets?

Just interested in seeing some answers... :confused:

trex1310 07-07-2012 01:51 AM

I think bullet choice would depend on what you intend to do with it
i.e.; hunting, target shooting, self defense, etc.

Boattails are not always more accurate than flat based bullets. It depends
on the gun as well as the application. My T/C Contender 7mm TCU shoots
140gr flat based bullets much better than boattails. The reason, I think, is
that flat based bullets perform better at lower velocities than boattails.

CHLChris 07-07-2012 01:56 AM

All about use. If the flight path over a long distance (like for long-range hunting or match shooting) is important, a boat tail and maybe a spitzer tip would be very important.

If stopping a threat is more important than perfect aerodynamics, then the hollow point would be your choice.

If you are loading your own and want to save money, then use lead bullets you cast yourself would be useful.

There are a million answers to this seemingly simple question. Do some research on bullets. Wikipedia has a page on just about every bullet type. Read up!

Josh1158 07-07-2012 01:56 AM

I dont shoot lead because it fouls up the rifling to fast

W. C. Quantrill 07-07-2012 02:08 AM

I shoot a lot of lead, and I havent had any trouble leading. Just clean it now and then.

Bullets are selected, based upon what you want to do with them. That has to do with sectional density.

Flatbase and boat tail have to do with ballistic coefficient, or how true they fly and how far they fly.

Reloading ballistics get really detailed.

1hole 07-07-2012 02:48 AM

"I understand that Boat-tail have less drag and are more accurate.. So why are there still flat based bullets?"

I've been doing this since '65 and don't understand that at all; it's the rifle that determines what it will shoot most accurately and most prefer flat based bullets for pure accuracy.

Boat tail bullets mean little so long as the velocity is supersonic and even then it's benefit is usually due to a slightly flatter trajectory rather than pure accuracy. Few hunters shoot far away enough for boat tails to mean a thing.

I choose my bullets by what I expect them to do when they hit my target. Point shape - or base - has a lot less to do with what happens then than is commonly supposed.

Durangokid 07-07-2012 03:41 AM

The boat tail is used to off set "Yaw" bullet drift to twist direction over long ranges. The boat tail and flat point both suffer equally in the Coraelle Effect at 1,000 yds. Not all rifles will shoot BTs. The K-31 Swiss 7.5 X55 [.308] a very common Milsurp and a very accurate rifle seems to prefer the flat base bullets over the BTs. The old M-1 Garand 30-06 [.308] does very well with the 147 FMJ BT at 1,000 yds. Check your own rifle for best results they all vary.

Lead does not foul gun barrels. The wrong choice in lead bullets foul barrels. You need to know you bore and forcing cone demensions. The bullet in most cases .010+ over your bore size is often best. A .45 ACP nominal .452 lead bullet .453. A bullet that will up set in the forcing cone based on your ballistics. A BHN of 14 for instance would be best for a CUP of 20,000 CUP plus or minus 8%. You can in most cases just go with a medium hardness of 11 or 12 BHN. Check with your source and ask these questions.:)

ktmboyz 07-07-2012 04:11 AM

I just got the free Hornady catalog in the mail and it gives very detailed info in the bullet types and their main purpose. . Its a good thing for any reloader to have around, no load data but a lot of info on bullet types and ballistic data.

robocop10mm 07-07-2012 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh1158 (Post 861736)
I dont shoot lead because it fouls up the rifling to fast

You are using the wrong lead bullets. I shoot tens of thousands of lead bullets and have ZERO leading.

Josh1158 07-07-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm

You are using the wrong lead bullets. I shoot tens of thousands of lead bullets and have ZERO leading.

I guess, I didnt know all this stuff about bullets. I don't reload so the only lead I've shot was factory loads. I just notice more crap in the bore then when I shoot fmj.