What bullet for .44mag to deer hunt with? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > What bullet for .44mag to deer hunt with?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 253 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post

Thanks DwMiller. I wouldn't mind trying some speer gold dot myself. Is this a hollow point round? The Hornady XTP isn't your generic hp, but still I've read some reviews that indicate a hp can give dramatic shallow wound without sufficiently impacting the vitals. Perhaps this is a moot point if I start aiming for the head? :-p
Yes this is the large hollow point. It penetrates quite well. I've been shooting the golddots for 7-8 years now. Shot hardcast keith type bullets before that. Used to use the the 240 grain HP. Bought a box of 200 grain when LGS was sold out. Noticeably reduced recoil. ~300 fps faster according to chrono. Penetration, 19" in wet paper phone books. Went to the 210 Deepcurl when it came out, great bullet, all you need for deer!

Shot a 350lbs hog quartering away, broke rear hip, spine and front shoulder before exiting. Shallow wound!?! :eek Mushroomed well and kept on going! Very flat ballistics to 100 yards, 2.25" drop.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 11-10-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish
Thanks DwMiller. I wouldn't mind trying some speer gold dot myself. Is this a hollow point round? The Hornady XTP isn't your generic hp, but still I've read some reviews that indicate a hp can give dramatic shallow wound without sufficiently impacting the vitals. Perhaps this is a moot point if I start aiming for the head? :-p
Yes, gold dots are hollowpoints. And I'm not surprised someone told you about the "shallow wound cavities" etc. A lot of old school gun nuts think all hollowpoints are equal. There are HPs out there that produce dramatic shallow wounds with low penetration. They're pretty popular with varmint hunters. But hollowpoint rounds like Hornady XTP, Barnes TSX, Federal Fusion, or Sierra Game King all give great penetration when pushed at the right speed.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 11-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #43

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post

Yes this is the large hollow point. It penetrates quite well. I've been shooting the golddots for 7-8 years now. Shot hardcast keith type bullets before that. Used to use the the 240 grain HP. Bought a box of 200 grain when LGS was sold out. Noticeably reduced recoil. ~300 fps faster according to chrono. Penetration, 19" in wet paper phone books. Went to the 210 Deepcurl when it came out, great bullet, all you need for deer!

Shot a 350lbs hog quartering away, broke rear hip, spine and front shoulder before exiting. Shallow wound!?! :eek Mushroomed well and kept on going! Very flat ballistics to 100 yards, 2.25" drop.
Thanks for the additional info. I'm glad to know I shouldn't have any problem with penetration. A quartering pass through on a 350lb hog is very impressive.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #44

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post

Yes, gold dots are hollowpoints. And I'm not surprised someone told you about the "shallow wound cavities" etc. A lot of old school gun nuts think all hollowpoints are equal. There are HPs out there that produce dramatic shallow wounds with low penetration. They're pretty popular with varmint hunters. But hollowpoint rounds like Hornady XTP, Barnes TSX, Federal Fusion, or Sierra Game King all give great penetration when pushed at the right speed.
Thanks for referencing some additional bullet options. I'd like to test a few and see which give me good groups from my gun. I tested the Hornady XTP this weekend and groups were decent but oddly a different center (a couple inches low and to the left) from how the gun is sighted for factory ammo. I decided not to change the sight just yet. I'll see if I can work up a few more loads to test first.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:02 PM   #45

Liked 101 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
Thanks for referencing some additional bullet options. I'd like to test a few and see which give me good groups from my gun. I tested the Hornady XTP this weekend and groups were decent but oddly a different center (a couple inches low and to the left) from how the gun is sighted for factory ammo. I decided not to change the sight just yet. I'll see if I can work up a few more loads to test first.
The fun of reloading,testing.....

NRA Member,NAHC life member,Indiana Rifle/Pistol Assoc. member

People Like This 
Old 11-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #46

Liked 253 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Yep, testing is at least half the fun!

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

squirrelhunter Likes This 
Old 11-17-2013, 01:23 AM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5717 Times on 3232 Posts
Likes Given: 5148

Deer are fairly small animals. a 180 grain hollow point, driven fast will do the job well.

If you take reasonable shots at reasonable distances, you don't need very much penetrating power to go completely through them.

Winston Churchill