Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > What bullet for .44mag to deer hunt with?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 665 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 671

I don't use a .44mag, just a .357 and .44-40. Both w/ JSP. 158gr over 296 in .357, 200gr over Unique in .44-40.
JSP perform better then JHP, I've tried them.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 11-01-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:34 AM   #32

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The old .44-40 has not been legal for hunting in Wyoming since 1918 The old Mdl. 92 Saddle guns were considered to small for anything but coyotes and small game. The .22 Savage Hi-Power was also banned. The .22 center fires [224] were banned in many areas of the West for big game. Savage arms responded with the .22 Hi-Power which is {.228} but they banned it also.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
The old .44-40 has not been legal for hunting in Wyoming since 1918 The old Mdl. 92 Saddle guns were considered to small for anything but coyotes and small game. The .22 Savage Hi-Power was also banned. The .22 center fires [224] were banned in many areas of the West for big game. Savage arms responded with the .22 Hi-Power which is {.228} but they banned it also.
That could be in fact because of the distance that people tend to shoot in Wyoming. The .44-40 does a great job out to 100 yards. It was the riegning king of the whitetail till 1972 when the .30-30 took over as the all time leader in harvests.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:01 AM   #34

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomingreeneco View Post
I can't count the number of deer I have shot with my .357 using hollow points. The last few years using Hornady XTP 158 gr. I have not had to track one of them over 50 yards. Most dropped pretty much where they were standing. All shot 25 yards or shorter in distance. I guess my deer did not read were a hollow point should not be used!
Per the Hornady XTP bullet box, the "tapered jacket ensures controlled expansion and deep penetration", so though these are hollow points they are specifically designed for hunting. This may be why they work so well despite the advice in this thread to avoid hollow points. I'm curious though whether you (or anyone else) can testify to the penetration power of the XTP hp bullets. I've got some 180 gr 44 mag XTP loaded ready to test and see how they perform. If accuracy is good, I plan to use them to hunt whitetail. I was looking for 240 gr but could only find the 180 gr, thus am curious to hear from anyone about experience with penetration power of the Hornady XTP bullets.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #35

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
I have taken many Mule Deer and one Elk with cast Kieth type .429 bullets. I use WW alloy and Linotype 20-1. If you have to chase a deer for miles it is you poor marksmanship not cast bullets.
I have used this bullet for over 30 years and probably have put more venison in the freezer with the Redhawk than any rifles I've used. But since I got tired of wasting any meat on heart/lung shots I learned to do head or neck to head joint shots and when I did that the first time it shocked me to see how quickly the animals dropped were they stood. Full charges of 296, H110 or #9 under a hard cast bullet leave very little lead fouling, I will say though that I've shot enough jacketed bullets over the years that it smoothed out the overly sharp areas in the bore where lead generally builds up. Do I really need a .44 mag to hunt deer? Probably not but that's what I've had for nearly 30 years.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #36

Liked 181 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post

Per the Hornady XTP bullet box, the "tapered jacket ensures controlled expansion and deep penetration", so though these are hollow points they are specifically designed for hunting. This may be why they work so well despite the advice in this thread to avoid hollow points. I'm curious though whether you (or anyone else) can testify to the penetration power of the XTP hp bullets. I've got some 180 gr 44 mag XTP loaded ready to test and see how they perform. If accuracy is good, I plan to use them to hunt whitetail. I was looking for 240 gr but could only find the 180 gr, thus am curious to hear from anyone about experience with penetration power of the Hornady XTP bullets.
I use the speer gold dot in 200 grain. Awfully similar round. Never a problem with penetration, I do push them at ~1700 fps, mainly for the flatter external ballistics.

I get right shoulder to left hip pass through on this bullet out of my blackhawk. 180 to 200 is still a big bullet with plenty of energy to kill humainly.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Old 11-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #37

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The reason the 44-40, 38-40 etc. is not legal in the West they are not effective on elk and moose. Is the 44-40 legal for moose in the upper Midwest?

Old 11-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #38

Quote:
The reason the 44-40, 38-40 etc. is not legal in the West they are not effective on elk and moose. Is the 44-40 legal for moose in the upper Midwest?
Don't Know? I would not use it in the north east on moose.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:06 AM   #39

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
I have used this bullet for over 30 years and probably have put more venison in the freezer with the Redhawk than any rifles I've used. But since I got tired of wasting any meat on heart/lung shots I learned to do head or neck to head joint shots and when I did that the first time it shocked me to see how quickly the animals dropped were they stood. Full charges of 296, H110 or #9 under a hard cast bullet leave very little lead fouling, I will say though that I've shot enough jacketed bullets over the years that it smoothed out the overly sharp areas in the bore where lead generally builds up. Do I really need a .44 mag to hunt deer? Probably not but that's what I've had for nearly 30 years.
Thanks Viking. I enjoy hunting with my redhawk, and have taken deer with it several times. Just getting into reloading, so thinking more critically about the ammo I'm using. And head/neck shots are great with the redhawk. Had a buck shot twice with my redhawk and still had to finish him with a neck shot after I got down from the stand. I'll be aiming more for head and neck to start with when possible.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:14 AM   #40

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post

I use the speer gold dot in 200 grain. Awfully similar round. Never a problem with penetration, I do push them at ~1700 fps, mainly for the flatter external ballistics.

I get right shoulder to left hip pass through on this bullet out of my blackhawk. 180 to 200 is still a big bullet with plenty of energy to kill humainly.
Thanks DwMiller. I wouldn't mind trying some speer gold dot myself. Is this a hollow point round? The Hornady XTP isn't your generic hp, but still I've read some reviews that indicate a hp can give dramatic shallow wound without sufficiently impacting the vitals. Perhaps this is a moot point if I start aiming for the head? :-p