Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > What bullet for .44mag to deer hunt with?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 101 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Hornady XTPs are all I've used in my 44 mags.I started hunting with them in the 90s and have dropped several deer with them.The farthest any have run was about 75 yards and that just happened once. Most only take a step or 2.

NRA Member,NAHC life member,Indiana Rifle/Pistol Assoc. member

Old 10-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #12

Liked 181 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 6

nitestalker With a little more trial and error you will change your mind about using hardcaste on thin skinned game. A heaver soft point or heavy bonded HP works so much better or elk too. Nice to have the option of some expansion .

Old 10-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 247 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I picked up a box of Speer 240gr SP today. I'll try putting a few together. The box of 100 was under $30 so even if I don't like them for deer they are still good cheap HD ammo.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:09 AM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I also recommend a hard cast....my favorite is 14.7gr of AA#7 with a
240 SWC....good luck!

Old 10-08-2013, 04:00 AM   #15

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Hardluc, After over 50 years of hunting and guiding in the Rocky Mtns. not likely.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:01 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4464 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Hardcast bullets break bones and seldom get deflected. Put one in the vitals the deer goes down.

I've used hp rifle ammo in the form of hornady amax on deer and did not enjoy losing so much meat.

Soft point jacketed or cast lead is the way to go.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 10-09-2013, 03:52 AM   #17

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

You can shoot a deer with a .22 (the caliber of choice for poachers) in the vitals and it will also go down, but I would never hunt with one. I use a revolver (.357) with no scope and hitting a deer in the heart is not as easy as it sounds. Off an inch or two and a hard cast goes straight through the deer and you're in for a long walk. With a bullet like the Hornady XTP you have a better chance at the deer falling right where you shot it. I'm in my 60's and long walks dragging a deer are no longer as "fun" as they used to be.

The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood.

squirrelhunter Likes This 
Old 10-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #18

Liked 181 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 6

JonM You you used a A Max on deer !!! Guess you learn something anyhow. What hardcast and sp got to do with a rifle cartridge. Different cartridge with different needs. Back to handguns put one thru the shoulders and deer goes down, hopefully, put one thru the lungs and deer runs a ways a long ways most times. s

nitestacker 50 years?? I only have 43 years of hunting. 20 of that with handguns for hogs in the off season. IF you have to worry about grizzles stop'n for a snack then you carry hardcast in your handgun and learn when to let a animal walk on IF you don't have the right shoulder shot. If all your hunting is muledeer, white tails, elk and the likes. bump the weight up to 270 or 300grains and sling a sp or bonded hp. Not a hardcast unless you can gar-o-tee a shoulder shoot. Cause if you whisle a hardcast thru a deers or elks lungs you probably will be looking for them in the next county as your not getting anymore than a nice neat 429 caliber hole.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #19

Liked 132 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Speer 210 grain gold dots. Makes a nice hole and expands well in the 1200+ fps range. Nice bullet with a flatter trajectory than the heavier 240-300 grain slugs. Also much less recoil to deal with, so a faster followup shot if its needed.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Old 10-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #20

Liked 22 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Maybe a little off the subject and if it is mods please pull it. I keep reading about meat loss from bullets wrecking too much meat. I've been hunting a lot of years and killed a lot of big game and the only time I've lost meat is when I don't hit the critter where I should. Shot thru the lungs the only damage is to the very little meat between the ribs and a lot of guys don't even bother with that. Neck shots especially on elk are great as no one I know takes the neck meat anyhow. If your shooting into muscle you shouldn't be as that's where the eating is and the vitals aint. FRJ

Better to die on my feet than to live on my knees