Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > What is the best powder for cast 40 cal bullets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
That will work on a single stage, but I, and lotsa others use progressives.
That is why I love my single stage and have never yearned for something more expensive or faster. Not being a smart a%# here, so please don't take this wrong. I trust my equipment and the components and powder I use because I am in complete control of every stage. If I have a failure there is no one or anything to blame but me. I don't like the idea of not using a certain powder because it's dangerous or my equipment might double charge a case. Any dbl. charge is really dangerous. I really enjoy reloading and don't care if it takes me a little longer to make 50 rnds. When I take them out to shoot, I'm 100% confident they will all be safe. Again, please don't take this all wrong. To each his own.

Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt, SR40, SR9c, 22/45, 10-22, 77MKII, PT 1911

Old 03-03-2013, 01:03 AM   #12

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The most accurate powder I have found for three .40s is AA5. The best powder for max performance and accuracy is Silhouette.
If you want a lighter recoil (generally this is not really light, but rather slower recoil impulse) you would really need a heavier bullet (not really recommended for .40, but still many do use 200gn bullets and load longer). If you can find it, try Solo 1000.
Progressives: the Hornady is the easiest to inspect the powder charge as the charged case is under your nose. The hardest to inspect are the ones with a bullet feeder that puts the bullet on the case before it reaches the seating die (where, with some body twist, you can inspect the case). What the bullet feeder people need is at least one more station for an RCBS Lock-Out die before the bullet feeder station.
TiteGroup is generally NOT very good with lead bullets.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:52 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5153 Times on 2939 Posts
Likes Given: 4369

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpabear View Post
That is why I love my single stage and have never yearned for something more expensive or faster. Not being a smart a%# here, so please don't take this wrong. I trust my equipment and the components and powder I use because I am in complete control of every stage. If I have a failure there is no one or anything to blame but me. I don't like the idea of not using a certain powder because it's dangerous or my equipment might double charge a case. Any dbl. charge is really dangerous. I really enjoy reloading and don't care if it takes me a little longer to make 50 rnds. When I take them out to shoot, I'm 100% confident they will all be safe. Again, please don't take this all wrong. To each his own.
I understand what you're saying.

But when I go to the shop to load, I expect to load at least 1000 rounds per evening. Often 2000. for that reason, I demand of my powder that it overflow if doubled.

You would be surprised how much control you really have with a high speed progressive. I sure was!

The other factor in play is that I load full power factory duplication loads. I never load reduced power. The slow burning powders are a must for those loads.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.