What am I missing?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > What am I missing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default What am I missing?

Looking for an experienced reloading eye to review my purchases so far to help me sort out what is necessary from what is extra and what is crap.

I'll be reloading .30-30; .40S&W; & 9mm (of course more in the future )

So far I have aquired:

Manuals --
Modern Reloading 2nd edition
Lyman Reloading 49th edition
5 or 6 powder manufacturer's reloading pamphlets

Press--
Lee Classic Turret Press
(2) extra 4 hole turrets

Dies--
Lee .30-30 Win DLX 3 Die Set
Lee .40S&W/10MM Carbide DLX Carbide 4 Die Set
Lee 9MM Lugar Carbide DLX Carbide 4 Die Set

Priming--
Lee Safety Prime Combo

Powder Handling--
Lee Pro Auto Disk
Lee Auto Disk Riser
Lee Swivel Adapter
Lee Charge Bar Adjustable
Powder Funnel

Scale & Measures --
Hornady 1500 GS Scale
Dial Caliper

Error correction device--
Graf Bullet Puller

Misc.--
(3) Lee Round Die Box
Lee Resizing Lube
Lee Case Conditioning Kit

Known Needs--
ABCs of Reloading 9th Edition
Powder(s)
Primers (CCI 200 & CCI 500)
Bullets
Reloading Bench

Anything else that is Manditory? Nice to have?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #2

Liked 700 Times on 489 Posts
Likes Given: 1108

Brass tumbler and media

Old 06-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 710

yeah just a tumbler for making en em look purty.. you have way more listed gear than i did to start with. lol.. now get the bench together and your ready to start

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #4

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Case Trimmer.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:44 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Get one of those 6"sand sifters, they are great for removing media from your cases. It's a lot faster and cleaner than doing it by hand.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I believe that you made 1 big mistake, but you can live with it for a while. The Lee press is not heavy enough to hold up to heavy loading. I have been loading my own since 1965 and over the years have had alot of Lee stuff, and it all let me down sooner or later. For low volume loading pick up an RCBS Rock Chucker, Layman Orange crisher or similar. For hogher volume Dillon is the best on the market. You can get all kinds of data form the net, but never use any of it without cross checking it with a good source, ie loading manual, or powder manufacture web. page.

Catfish
Ohio

locutus Likes This 
Old 06-02-2012, 01:48 AM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
I believe that you made 1 big mistake, but you can live with it for a while. The Lee press is not heavy enough to hold up to heavy loading. I have been loading my own since 1965 and over the years have had alot of Lee stuff, and it all let me down sooner or later. For low volume loading pick up an RCBS Rock Chucker, Layman Orange crisher or similar. For hogher volume Dillon is the best on the market. You can get all kinds of data form the net, but never use any of it without cross checking it with a good source, ie loading manual, or powder manufacture web. page.
Give up on the Lee bashing,Catfish.
I've been at it for over 30yrs myself,and have always used a Lee Turret press for my reloading needs.I have loaded countless thousands of rounds with my stuff without failure.
Yes,I have replaced a few parts that had a decent amount of wear on them,but no matter what brand of press you have,if you use it a lot there will be parts that begin to wear over time.

I'd put a Lee turret press up against any other brand's Turret press anyday of the week.
Lee does have some things that are completely useless,like their scale and powder dispenser.But,Lee dies and turret presses are as good as any other brand made.
I use my Deluxe Turret press for my pistol ammo,and my Classic Turret for all my rifle ammo,and I load a lot of ammo with both.

To the OP,The only thing that I'd change is the powder dispenser.You can use the Lee on your pistol calibers if you want,but it will probably give you more trouble than it's worth,depending on the powder you use.
Redding,RCBS,and Hornady all make great powder dispensers,I personally use a Redding BR3,and RCBS Uniflow when I'm not using my electronic dispenser.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:28 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

@beaglesam -- thank you -- shiny clean brass is next to godliness!

@jjfuller1 -- bench will be built tomorrow -- 4x4 legs, 2x4s laminated together for the substrate of the table top with 3/16 cold rolled steel as a working surface -- that press isn't going anywhere!

@steve4102 -- Thank you, on a double check I missed a trimmer guage. Thanks for catching that.

@44ablast -- You and beaglesam are going to cost me with the 'budget officer'

@catfish -- and dare I say I drive a Ford? You are a Chevy man correct? Thank you for the multi-source advice for powder loads.

@Txhillbilly -- Thanks. I knew the powder dispenser was a weak point for rifle loading. I'll have to dip and scale for now, hence the digital rather than the balance scale. I have a very strict 'budget officer' and to get this far I had to pull out the Father's Day, Birthday, and its MY money arguments. That last one will be the cause for 2 weeks of celibacy... Thanks for being a voice of reason.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodySnatcher
@beaglesam -- thank you -- shiny clean brass is next to godliness!

@jjfuller1 -- bench will be built tomorrow -- 4x4 legs, 2x4s laminated together for the substrate of the table top with 3/16 cold rolled steel as a working surface -- that press isn't going anywhere!

@steve4102 -- Thank you, on a double check I missed a trimmer guage. Thanks for catching that.

@44ablast -- You and beaglesam are going to cost me with the 'budget officer'

@catfish -- and dare I say I drive a Ford? You are a Chevy man correct? Thank you for the multi-source advice for powder loads.

@Txhillbilly -- Thanks. I knew the powder dispenser was a weak point for rifle loading. I'll have to dip and scale for now, hence the digital rather than the balance scale. I have a very strict 'budget officer' and to get this far I had to pull out the Father's Day, Birthday, and its MY money arguments. That last one will be the cause for 2 weeks of celibacy... Thanks for being a voice of reason.
Na,my suggestion is the cheapest out of all.go to any dollar store, wallyworld,walgreens and go by beach/ pool toys and get one for 1.00$ , it will make separating brass & media a1000 times easier,faster, and cleaner .

Old 06-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh, THOSE sand sifters! Haha, good idea. Thanks for the clarification, I had something entirely different mind. Doh!