What All Can Mess With Electronic Scales?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > What All Can Mess With Electronic Scales?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Default What All Can Mess With Electronic Scales?

Hello,

I have a nice Lyman electronic scale. It will take batteries or plug into the wall. I shoot on my own land, so no reason to use batteries at the range.

It was fluctuating all over, going out of calibration every couple charges, then coming back on. (Was confirming all this with a magnetic-damped beam scale).

I moved it and it started working fine.

There's really nothing in my reloading room that would mess with it... I have an electric heater that doesn't blow on it (light fan anyway, mostly radiant heat). I am using a fluorescent bulb. Could that do it?

Different spots on the workbench would give slightly different readings. Reckon I should just use a couple levels to set it from now on?

Thanks,

Josh

Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2011, 12:09 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've read fluorescent lights can effect electronic scales. A light draft can cause problems too.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:43 AM   #3

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No ceiling fan?

Old 04-21-2011, 01:13 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I won't use an electronic scale. I worked for a while for a company called JDK Controls who makes "high quality" potentiometers (kind of like a volume knob on an old tv but different) They even told me they are one of the top two manufactures in the world, and one of their potentiometer orders were for measuring the flap angle on tomahawk cruise missiles.

Anyway, they stick me in this closet, measuring powdered plastic into little 'pill cups' the powder is then hot pressed in a dye and formed into disks that can't vary in thickness or it would create more or less resistance between the disk and a wiper the runs on it.

So I'm supposed to weigh the plastic on an electronic scale to get it in a certain tolerance range. I notice that if I pick up the cup and set it back down it reads a different weight. Try it again...Same thing, different weight every time. Hell, I eventually just eyeballed the powder level and then picked it up and set it down on the scale until one of the readings was in tolerance and sent it on down the line.

I stick to analog measurements for anything I can, life's just simpler that way.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 04-21-2011, 01:47 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1250 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 596

I have a cheap digital scale that is affected by just about anything,but my electronic powder dispenser/scale isn't effected at all by fluorescent lights.There is a fluorescent shop light directly over the top of it,and it weighs the same amounts as weighed with my RCBS 505 beam scale.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:30 AM   #6

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

How close was the scale to your cell phone?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #7

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

You know, I had my cell phone in the room with me for the first time... that may have been it.

Also started using an old mouse pad underneath it, and replaced the fluorescent with one of my dwindling supply of incandescents.

There's a ceiling fan in the room, but it wasn't on.

I will have to check again the level of the table. It's new and may have settled.

Thanks,

Josh

Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Old 04-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
I've read fluorescent lights can effect electronic scales. A light draft can cause problems too.
Florescent lights cause problems with beam scales due to a small magnetic field. They don't affect digital scales.

Mine was made crazy by an incoming text message, but it was VERY apparent. Started blinking all "8"'s. I re-zeroed it after and it seemed fine but I made a note to place the cell phone in another room.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 04-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #9

Liked 2695 Times on 1216 Posts
Likes Given: 2595

Anything that has electricity passing thru it has a magnetic field. If you bought scales that don't work just because the lights are on, it isn't shielded properly and should go back to the manufacturer. What do they expect you to do, work in the dark?

Old 04-22-2011, 04:24 AM   #10

Liked 2604 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
Anything that has electricity passing thru it has a magnetic field. If you bought scales that don't work just because the lights are on, it isn't shielded properly and should go back to the manufacturer. What do they expect you to do, work in the dark?
Primarily, what you have to worry about is anything with a transformer or a coil.

The motor in a fan is a big coil. The ballast in many florescent lights is a

large transformer. It may help to hang a pin or a thin steel filament on a thread.

If you see it being drawn toward anything, you know you've got a problem

with the device's inductive magnetism.

What I've been given to understand is the electronic scales lose their calibration quickly,

and need double checking a lot with a beam scale.