What the.......???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > What the.......???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What the.......???

Ok, I suppose this question is on most minds, but not sure how much it's talked about openly on forums. Here goes.....
Why the hell are prices on Guns and Ammo are so incredibly high?!?! I understand the whole Supply and Demand business. But that doesn't warrant the mark up that is going on. Not even close. I had my own shop for a while a few years back. I am familiar with what the distributors charge and the usual mark up with retailers.
What I don't get is why they are currently raping us! The New York laws passed recently aside....there are no laws that are "currently" affecting us. All this mark up, is pure hype, with the media spurring it on. I mean really, why the hell are people paying $2000 for a $850 AR-15?!?!? The general public can be blamed as well. If you don't pay the $2000, maybe they will realize that there is no reason to do this right now. Seriously, there is no evidence that the govt. is going to be able to follow through with ANY of the "proposed" gun laws being talked about.....none.
I can sort of understand why you "might" want to buy a few AR's right now. Or some hi-cap mags. But what is happening with the prices is just plain madness!!!! Go ahead and get an extra hundred for the AR-15. Or an extra $20 for a magazine. And again, I think if folks woke up and said..."Why in the hell would I pay $2000 for an $850 AR?" maybe, this would stop. Don't know. But I just think the media is feeding the hype machine, and people are buying (pun intended) it.
I am writing this because I am confused here. As gun owners, NRA members, and 2nd amendment supporters, shouldn't we all be working together to arm ourselves against tyranny? Isn't that the end goal? Build a stronger "us" to protect against a possible govt. take over? How can we do that if y'all are charging an extra $500-$1000 or more to buy a semi-automatic black rifle? Or $400 more for a black handgun? This is supply and demand gone wrong! I mean, who are we really hurting here?
Just my thoughts.....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

The markups are starting at the top with the manufacturers and distributors and being passed on down through the retailers to the customers. Private sellers are also taking advantage of the madness. Ammo is truly scarce right now due to the feds buying it all up. Things will eventually calm. Although the federal level may have a hard time pushing through legislation the states are doing it daily. Expect ammo to continue to be an issue after guns calm down.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2937 Times on 1707 Posts
Likes Given: 1753

Herd mentality!!

Right now the herd is bigger than ever and more afraid than ever before!!

Supply & Demand + Scared Herd = What we've got now!

Old 03-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #4

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Welcome to the forum! Good first post, but if you look around, you see many of us are already bitching about the madness. We feel your pain.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Welcome to the forum! Good first post, but if you look around, you see many of us are already bitching about the madness. We feel your pain.
Thanks for the replies! I do understand the industry. I was an ffl holder for 8 years. And I see the distributors increasing their price and, and I can see $300-$400 increase. You look at GunBroker and it just makes me laugh. Private sales are just stupid. Why in the name of Charlton Heston are "we the people" hurting ourselves?!?! We need to help folks arm themselves. But when you're selling your mini-14 for $1500.....who do you think are buying them? It's not Joe/blue collar working man! Most likely a dealer, that is going to turn around and sell it for $1800.
I mean come folks....let's help each other arm one another. I can see that someone that wants to make some $$ by selling it right now during this time of madness. But we are only hurting ourselves man! Sell your AR for $250 than it's worth.....cool. But, $1000 mark up? If we all make an effort to stop this idiotic panic, then we will show the govt. we aren't going to be sheep!! Now more than ever, we need to come together and be united. Not turning ourselves into the very people we are fighting against. This panic will disappear if we stop hurting each other with this insane mark up. You go onto auction sites to find a good deal..... not get raped!
OK, I'm done for now. I am in no way running for any political position. And these views are my own. But please just consider not marking up your firearms so much. We are making it to hard for the average working guy and gal to arm themselves. While we can't do anything about the dealers marking up their guns.....we can make private sales on auction sites more reasonable, and FTF sales as well. Tell your friends. Thanks for listening.....pf

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"A man has got to know his limitations....." - Clint

NRA Life Member

Old 03-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #6

Liked 751 Times on 497 Posts
Likes Given: 832

I gonna say the same thing I tell everybody else who complains about expensive "black rifles"..

The Garand I want was $2000+ before this crazyness, and its gonna be $2000+ after all this crazyness... At least your "black rifles" will eventually come down in price....

Old 03-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5955 Times on 3372 Posts
Likes Given: 5532

This is pure supply and demand driven by the panicked chicken littles.

Government sales have nothing to do with it. (Sorry, guys, no conspiracy)

Just people who didn't have an AR or any ammo on hand before Newtown, now running around in circles and paying anything that is asked for the scant amount available.

In 9-12 months, both guns and ammo will be back to normal.

Winston Churchill

Old 03-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #8

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
This is pure supply and demand driven by the panicked chicken littles.

Government sales have nothing to do with it. (Sorry, guys, no conspiracy)

Just people who didn't have an AR or any ammo on hand before Newtown, now running around in circles and paying anything that is asked for the scant amount available.

In 9-12 months, both guns and ammo will be back to normal.
I think that's a pretty accurate assessment.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 03-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #9

The answer is simple: human greed. The gun industry cares nothing about the people who buy guns and ammo and reloading components. They just see it as an opportunity to get more money for their products. They know that when the panic dies and things are back to normal that the ignorant masses will continue to buy their products. There is no such thing as loyalty in business.
ct

BB98338 Likes This 
Old 03-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9171 Times on 3959 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

It is really very simple....

sky-falling.jpg

In other words, the herd has been spooked by lightning, and when one runs, they ALL run.

Me? I am buying the stuff these ill prepared folks traded in to buy that $2000 Bushmaster. Like Fox Sterlingworths.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.