weird bullet casting question.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > weird bullet casting question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 03:13 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6018 Times on 3152 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Default weird bullet casting question.

ok i just finished installing my fume hood (homemade from plywood hvac duct work and sheetmetal) started casting some bullets using a lee 6 cavity .452 200grain mold. the bullets seem ok but weigh in at 210 grains...????

is that right or am i doing something wrong the varience is +- .3 grains but they are all around 210 grains

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-15-2013, 03:35 AM   #2

Liked 2032 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

Different alloys will have different weights for the same bullets.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:37 AM   #3

Liked 2032 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

I have a bunch of those Lee molds. I like the 6 cavity the best by far. I also cast a 200 grain .452. Are you usining the round nose flat point? That is one of the ones my 1911 likes. I also use a 255 grain of that type. Great for IDPA.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:50 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6618 Times on 3686 Posts
Likes Given: 6284

Your alloy has a higher percentage of lead (It's heavier) than the alloy used to specify the bullet weight. ( usually Lyman #2)

If cast in pure linotype, they would probably weigh in around 192-194.

It shouldn't make any difference in low velocity rounds like .45 ACP. It's notrhing to worry about.

People Like This 
Old 04-15-2013, 05:58 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

What Loctus said. What alloy are you using? At 210 gr you may be using a too soft alloy. I prefer about 2-3% antimony and 1-2% Tin for my low velocity handgun bullets.

You will also find that pure lead has more shrinkage. They may come out undersized if pure lead.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-15-2013, 05:58 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Ahh thanks that makes sense. Im casting pretty soft for shooting steel in cas. They are flat points to work well in my levergun and pistols. I thought the weight given was for 100% lead.

Im just amazed at how fast i can crank out 500 bullets casting. Shoulda done this a looooong time ago. Still gota size and lube but casting is pretty easy

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Answer'd above....

Reason for post is,keep track of "that" lot of bullets.Record their as cast weight and diameter.With an accurate enough firearm,you'll see *patterns develop.IOW's,a few grains and a few .0001's in diameter can make a difference.

*No,not patterns like a shotgun....patterns in the data.

PS,cool deal on taking the time to fabricate an exhaust hood.....way more professional.You can also add another fan......little farther away,litely blowing twds you.Ideally you want to be in a clean air "spot",inhaling clean air.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6618 Times on 3686 Posts
Likes Given: 6284

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
What Loctus said. What alloy are you using? At 210 gr you may be using a too soft alloy. I prefer about 2-3% antimony and 1-2% Tin for my low velocity handgun bullets.

You will also find that pure lead has more shrinkage. They may come out undersized if pure lead.
The "old" version of Lyman #2 was 90 percent lead, 5 percent antimony and 5 percent tin. (The hundred year old standby 90-5-5) IME, that's still a damn good alloy, and superior to the "new" Lyman #2.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

Old 04-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intheshop View Post
Answer'd above....

Reason for post is,keep track of "that" lot of bullets.Record their as cast weight and diameter.With an accurate enough firearm,you'll see *patterns develop.IOW's,a few grains and a few .0001's in diameter can make a difference.

*No,not patterns like a shotgun....patterns in the data.

PS,cool deal on taking the time to fabricate an exhaust hood.....way more professional.You can also add another fan......little farther away,litely blowing twds you.Ideally you want to be in a clean air "spot",inhaling clean air.
Its got enough suction to pick up the smoke from the flux. No casting pot gets hot enough for lead fumes.

Ill take pics of my setup its all diy cept for the ducting. Had a friend of mine install the ductwork as he does it for a living.

After sizing they are all coming out exactly .451. Using alox for lube it seems less hassel than using parrafin or other lube methods.

Used a little on top of em in a bucket, shook em up good poured em onto a sheet of wax paper and let em sit over nite just like the instructions said and they came out less messy than cast lubed 45-70 bullets i bought a few months back. Everything i read about alox was not my experience so far

Old 04-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
The "old" version of Lyman #2 was 90 percent lead, 5 percent antimony and 5 percent tin. (The hundred year old standby 90-5-5) IME, that's still a damn good alloy, and superior to the "new" Lyman #2.
Lyman #2 is good for loads in the 900-1200 fps range. It is excessively hard for low velocity applications like .38 Spl, .44-40 and .45 ACP plinking loads.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball