Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   weird bullet casting question. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/weird-bullet-casting-question-88831/)

JonM 04-15-2013 02:13 AM

weird bullet casting question.

ok i just finished installing my fume hood (homemade from plywood hvac duct work and sheetmetal) started casting some bullets using a lee 6 cavity .452 200grain mold. the bullets seem ok but weigh in at 210 grains...????

is that right or am i doing something wrong the varience is +- .3 grains but they are all around 210 grains

Rick1967 04-15-2013 02:35 AM

Different alloys will have different weights for the same bullets.

Rick1967 04-15-2013 02:37 AM

I have a bunch of those Lee molds. I like the 6 cavity the best by far. I also cast a 200 grain .452. Are you usining the round nose flat point? That is one of the ones my 1911 likes. I also use a 255 grain of that type. Great for IDPA.

locutus 04-15-2013 02:50 AM

Your alloy has a higher percentage of lead (It's heavier) than the alloy used to specify the bullet weight. ( usually Lyman #2)

If cast in pure linotype, they would probably weigh in around 192-194.

It shouldn't make any difference in low velocity rounds like .45 ACP. It's notrhing to worry about.:)

robocop10mm 04-15-2013 04:58 AM

What Loctus said. What alloy are you using? At 210 gr you may be using a too soft alloy. I prefer about 2-3% antimony and 1-2% Tin for my low velocity handgun bullets.

You will also find that pure lead has more shrinkage. They may come out undersized if pure lead.

JonM 04-15-2013 04:58 AM

Ahh thanks that makes sense. Im casting pretty soft for shooting steel in cas. They are flat points to work well in my levergun and pistols. I thought the weight given was for 100% lead.

Im just amazed at how fast i can crank out 500 bullets casting. Shoulda done this a looooong time ago. Still gota size and lube but casting is pretty easy

Intheshop 04-16-2013 10:23 PM

Answer'd above....

Reason for post is,keep track of "that" lot of bullets.Record their as cast weight and diameter.With an accurate enough firearm,you'll see *patterns develop.IOW's,a few grains and a few .0001's in diameter can make a difference.

*No,not patterns like a shotgun....patterns in the data.

PS,cool deal on taking the time to fabricate an exhaust hood.....way more professional.You can also add another fan......little farther away,litely blowing twds you.Ideally you want to be in a clean air "spot",inhaling clean air.

locutus 04-17-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 1214422)
What Loctus said. What alloy are you using? At 210 gr you may be using a too soft alloy. I prefer about 2-3% antimony and 1-2% Tin for my low velocity handgun bullets.

You will also find that pure lead has more shrinkage. They may come out undersized if pure lead.

The "old" version of Lyman #2 was 90 percent lead, 5 percent antimony and 5 percent tin. (The hundred year old standby 90-5-5) IME, that's still a damn good alloy, and superior to the "new" Lyman #2.

JonM 04-17-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intheshop (Post 1216133)
Answer'd above....

Reason for post is,keep track of "that" lot of bullets.Record their as cast weight and diameter.With an accurate enough firearm,you'll see *patterns develop.IOW's,a few grains and a few .0001's in diameter can make a difference.

*No,not patterns like a shotgun....patterns in the data.

PS,cool deal on taking the time to fabricate an exhaust hood.....way more professional.You can also add another fan......little farther away,litely blowing twds you.Ideally you want to be in a clean air "spot",inhaling clean air.

Its got enough suction to pick up the smoke from the flux. No casting pot gets hot enough for lead fumes.

Ill take pics of my setup its all diy cept for the ducting. Had a friend of mine install the ductwork as he does it for a living.

After sizing they are all coming out exactly .451. Using alox for lube it seems less hassel than using parrafin or other lube methods.

Used a little on top of em in a bucket, shook em up good poured em onto a sheet of wax paper and let em sit over nite just like the instructions said and they came out less messy than cast lubed 45-70 bullets i bought a few months back. Everything i read about alox was not my experience so far

robocop10mm 04-17-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus (Post 1216898)
The "old" version of Lyman #2 was 90 percent lead, 5 percent antimony and 5 percent tin. (The hundred year old standby 90-5-5) IME, that's still a damn good alloy, and superior to the "new" Lyman #2.

Lyman #2 is good for loads in the 900-1200 fps range. It is excessively hard for low velocity applications like .38 Spl, .44-40 and .45 ACP plinking loads.