Weatherby cartridges
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Weatherby cartridges

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2008, 01:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Default Weatherby cartridges

I was thumbing threw my new Hornady Reloading manual and came to the 224 Weatherby mag and started wondering about something.

When everyone was using a stright shoulder design why did Mr. Weatherby go with the double radius neck? This had to cost more to chamber for because grinding the chamber cutters and reamers had to take some time and care. Is it stronger or what?

My grandfather was invited to the Weatherby factory in CA by Mr. Weatherby many moons ago I want to say in the 40's or 50's. He sat and talked to Roy Weatherby about accuracy and why my grandfather didn't think weatherby cartridges were as accurate as convenitional designs. Anyways I was just wondering if anyone knows why Mr. Weatherby settled on the double radius and not a stright neck (Normal for all other cartridges).

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-19-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

"why did Mr. Weatherby go with the double radius neck? This had to cost more to chamber for because grinding the chamber cutters and reamers"

Ol' Roy was a smart man with an inquisitive mind. He understood the venturi principle and believed that reversing the gas flow might better focus chamber pressure on the base of the bullet. A venturi works best with smooth transitions in diameter so he orfered his reamers with radus transitions.

Yes, it's more expensive but the "zing" for publicity more than compensated for the extra cost, which was of no consiquence to those who purchased Weatherby rifles anyway.

Actually, the "secret" to Roy's high velocities was large powder chambers, lots of freebore and very high pressures, not the "double venturi."