Wanting to start reloading... Please help...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Wanting to start reloading... Please help...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Wanting to start reloading... Please help...

I want to start reloading my own rounds what are some good quality but cheaper re-loaders and/or kits. It's going to be for my handguns (9mm and .40 cal). Any info will be most appreciated.

Smallville85

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-23-2011, 09:37 PM   #2

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Have you cruised this sub-forum at all? Reloading is a very deep subject and you asked such a vague question that you would be better off reading all those threads and then coming back with specific questions.

We'll all be happy to help you after you've helped yourself a little bit!

Dillon, Hornady, and RCBS are considered to be some of the better name brands.

Lee is another name that is loved by one of our more prolific members, cpttango13.

Last edited by lonyaeger; 03-23-2011 at 09:40 PM.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There are several threads posted here on starting to reload, they should be within the first 3-5 pages or should be found if you do a quick search. A lot of questions answered in them, but you should first buy a couple of reloading manuals and read them. I see a lot of questions posted here and on other forums that really should have been answered through reading the manuals.

I started with the Lee Classic Turret Press Kit from Cabela's, I would recommend the similar kit from Kempf as I had to replace the Lee scales with RCBS because mine were defective. The kit form Kempf doesn't include a scale, so you'll have to get one separately. The Kempf kit does include a Lee Deluxe 4-Die Pistol Set of your choice. This kit and/or press is affordable and will load the high volume of handgun ammo I shoot as well as the rifle rounds I reload for.

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.f lypage&product_id=630&category_id=190&manufacturer _id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41&vmcchk=1&Ite mid=41

I also highly recommend the $22 upgrade option. The Pro Auto Disk measure is more user friendly than the standard disk powder measure.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:02 AM   #4

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

As others have already echoed, you need to be more specific. An important detail would be to know how much you shoot. That will go a long in recommending a good setup.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #5

The first thing to do is go to the library and see if they some books on reloading then do some reading. Reloading can be fun and rewarding, but the potential for disaster is always close by. If possible, find an experienced reloader in your area and ask if he will guide you through the process.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #6

Books/read online alot before you touch the press.

Lee deluxe turret kit for 109.99 for less than 200 you can be up and running.

I can load 300rds per hour on mine without trying too hard.