Wanted to Verify... .223 reloading - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Wanted to Verify... .223 reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 10:05 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

haha Well If the Gun were to blow up, It'd cut the tube in two.
Anyways, I was just going off of what Sierra's pamphlet said (not trying to one up, I actually take your word over it as a "not worth risking my face" type of advice.)
However something else they said (as you've told me,) is "not intended for hunting purposes" which you've been saying, so basically while not taking your word as God, I'm taking it as someone who knows way more than I probably ever will
Either way, reloading's at least 3 months off for now, if not longer, which means (hopefully) plenty of time to get educated on the subject enough to follow the instructions

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Last edited by pagj17; 08-24-2010 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Too tired to type, so correcting misspelled words and misplaced statements

Old 08-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #12
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1245 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 591

You can load Hornady 75gr AMax bullets to fit into the magazine of an AR,but on just about anything heavier the OAL is too long,and they must be shot as a single shot rifle.
All of these bullets are MATCH bullets,and not intended as a hunting bullet.

Speer makes a 70gr soft point,that I have been loading up for hunting purposes.

Do yourself a favor and get several loading manuals,and study a little before you just start jumping head first into reloading.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #13

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
Anyways, I was just going off of what Sierra's pamphlet said.....
If you have a Sierra pamphlet that has that in print, I would seriously appreciate a picture of said pamphlet or a web link of where you found it. I will personally make the drive to Sedalia and head straight to Kevin Thomas' office and inform him of the fact. Somehow I don't think he would be pleased.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #14

haha, So far I look like an idiot, because I found the one that says 2.550, but it doesn't have the 90's, but Either way If I don't find it I'll let you know, but so far, yeahhhh it's making me look really bad.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #15

Well, I must admit defeat, although In my trying to find it, I found out I was looking at a PDF of loading data, not a pamphlet, so it didn't come from Sierra's website, but it was "Sierra's" book IF it was really Sierra's book I was looking at.... But I can't find it in Google Chrome's history, and Mozilla's won' let me look back past today.
Thanks for putting up with me!

Old 08-27-2010, 02:33 AM   #16

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Hey, no harm - no foul. Anything is possible and if there is published data out there that I missed I would be interested in seeing it. I was really curious about the OAL information on the Sierra 90 gr MatchKings that you talked about - seeing as how it is not even published in their latest reloading manuals (Edition V)!

I had to get what little test data they had on that bullet directly from one of the ballistic technicians. But having loaded and shot bu-coup 80 gr MK's in highpower matches, even the thought of loading one of those to magazine length scares the bejeebus out of me......

Old 08-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #17

It's really bugging me... especially after all the looking into it and not being able to find it.
Sounds almost like someone Photoshop'd it or something which really REALLY scares me. There are people who might trust that. I almost did!
But I don't know, and I can't find any of the other pages I was looking at at the time (such as Hodgdon's)
If I Somehow run across it again, def Sending it to Sierra to make sure they're informed.

Anyways, I've got enough research done to make me want to Reload, particularily because of so many more options. Like softpoints that won't break the bank

Old 08-28-2010, 09:06 PM   #18

I would first check the twist of the rifle barrel you are going to reload for to make sure it would accurately shoot a heavy bullet. You may be trying to reload a heavy bullet for no reason.

Patret

Old 08-29-2010, 05:26 AM   #19

it's a 1-7 twist so it should be alright haha.

I'm interested in the hornady Tap Fdp 74(not sure if that's the right acronym and can't really look into it atm because I've only got my phone to use internet on today.) i'm just wondering if they offer the bullet for reloading?

Old 08-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Sounds almost like someone Photoshop'd it or something which really REALLY scares me. There are people who might trust that. I almost did!
That is why you REALLY need to get a few reloading book and study them. Reloading is something that needs to be done in steps starting low and slowly working up from published data. Loading the 90 or 80 grain into mag length, makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up because of the amount of case capacity that is used by the projectile. The internet is a place where often misinformation is easily distributed. Always cross check.