Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Wanted to Verify... .223 reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2010, 06:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Wanted to Verify... .223 reloading

Alright, so, back story is My dad and I are thinking(well I WILL be, but he might split cost) about reloading, and while researching, I found loads for 80 and 90 Grain .223 on Hodgdon's Website, but for the Cartridge Over All Length, it was something like 2.5 something... Sierra's has it listed for the 90 as same, and the 80 at 2.260... We're both looking at starting off with reloading 223 first because we both of ar15's, 1-7 twist rate etc.
So the question is, what IS the heaviest load That ya'll are aware of, that's safe, in .223, and which manual's it going to be in.
Any and all assistance is appreciated. Furthermore I accept the disclaimers of "it's not my fault if you blow your face off" and other such things. THANKS!!!!

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Get a reloading manual before you do anything else!!!!!! I rcommend Lymans or Hornady.

You may not be able to shoot some of the heavier grain bullets in the AR due to Overall Cartridge Length. You "may" be able to single shot feed them, but the OAL will probably be too long for the magazine.

TXnorton

Old 08-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Who makes the 90gr 224cal bullet? Who ever makes it will have it in their reloading manual.

Heiver bullets are single load only in an AR.

ABC's of reloading

Sierra reloading manual

Hornady reloading manual

Are the ones I would get the Lyman is a decent one. I just don't like the way it is set up.

READ READ READ and then Read some more.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:47 PM   #4

my question is why such heavy slugs for an AR.. and seated at over 2.26 would the even fit in your mags. could see them bullets in a bolt gun. just a thought

let no talents go unused

Last edited by joshfireart; 08-22-2010 at 01:59 PM.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #5

Liked 223 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshfireart View Post
my question is why such heavy slugs for an AR..
Why? For bucking the wind while target shooting at 500 yards plus....
69 - 77 gr can be loaded to magazine length, 80's & 90's as pointed out must be loaded singly into the chamber. Special magazine followers are available for this purpose. Sierra recommends a 1:6.5 twist for the 90 gr Matchkings.

If you are new to reloading, I would suggest you start with 69 gr bullets to begin your learning process after buying and reading several reloading manuals.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Why? For bucking the wind while target shooting at 500 yards plus....
69 - 77 gr can be loaded to magazine length, 80's & 90's as pointed out must be loaded singly into the chamber. Special magazine followers are available for this purpose. Sierra recommends a 1:6.5 twist for the 90 gr Matchkings.

If you are new to reloading, I would suggest you start with 69 gr bullets to begin your learning process after buying and reading several reloading manuals.
that would be a good reason thanks

let no talents go unused

Old 08-23-2010, 06:54 AM   #7

Well, My ar's got 1-7, and I'm thinking i'm going to go with the 80 grain's, once I'm up to speed and have the equipment.(sierra has a load for 2.60 OAL)
as said above, to buck the wind, and also because in a real SHTF situation, I want as much Thunk as I can get from the round, but also be able to grab any other ammo on the run(since 5.56 is normally the most plentiful where I shoot)
Thanks everyone!

Old 08-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
........ and also because in a real SHTF situation, I want as much Thunk as I can get from the round, but also be able to grab any other ammo on the run(since 5.56 is normally the most plentiful where I shoot)
If that is the case, then you definitely do not want to be using target (MatchKing) bullets. The jackets are very thin and not designed for any kind of expansion. While they are an excellent choice for flying straight and true to a paper target, they are useless for any type of "hunting".

If you really insist on using a heavier match type bullet - you might want to consider using the Sierra 77 gr MatchKing with a cannelure. They can be loaded to magazine length AND crimped in place for your SHTF scenario.
Do you really want to be dealing with a single shot rifle when your bacon is on the line?

Old 08-24-2010, 04:07 AM   #9

Yes, yes I do(Jk)
I'll def try the 77s, and 75s that Black hills uses?
I didn't even think about the Lack of expansion, so very much so thank you
The 80s can be loaded to mag length, and Maybe i'll use them for When I am using my wayyyy to big for the rifle scope but otherwise, You make wayyyy to many good points for me to even think of not heeding your advice lol.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
The 80s can be loaded to mag length....
Wow. You really do have a death wish don't you?

Can I have your "wayyyy to(o) big for the rifle scope" after the gun blows up?