Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Wanted to Verify... .223 reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/wanted-verify-223-reloading-30731/)

pagj17 08-22-2010 06:09 AM

Wanted to Verify... .223 reloading

Alright, so, back story is My dad and I are thinking(well I WILL be, but he might split cost) about reloading, and while researching, I found loads for 80 and 90 Grain .223 on Hodgdon's Website, but for the Cartridge Over All Length, it was something like 2.5 something... Sierra's has it listed for the 90 as same, and the 80 at 2.260... We're both looking at starting off with reloading 223 first because we both of ar15's, 1-7 twist rate etc.
So the question is, what IS the heaviest load That ya'll are aware of, that's safe, in .223, and which manual's it going to be in.
Any and all assistance is appreciated. Furthermore I accept the disclaimers of "it's not my fault if you blow your face off" and other such things. THANKS!!!!

TXnorton 08-22-2010 09:26 AM

Get a reloading manual before you do anything else!!!!!! I rcommend Lymans or Hornady.

You may not be able to shoot some of the heavier grain bullets in the AR due to Overall Cartridge Length. You "may" be able to single shot feed them, but the OAL will probably be too long for the magazine.

cpttango30 08-22-2010 01:26 PM

Who makes the 90gr 224cal bullet? Who ever makes it will have it in their reloading manual.

Heiver bullets are single load only in an AR.

ABC's of reloading

Sierra reloading manual

Hornady reloading manual

Are the ones I would get the Lyman is a decent one. I just don't like the way it is set up.

READ READ READ and then Read some more.

joshfireart 08-22-2010 01:47 PM

my question is why such heavy slugs for an AR.. and seated at over 2.26 would the even fit in your mags. could see them bullets in a bolt gun. just a thought

Highpower 08-22-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshfireart (Post 336399)
my question is why such heavy slugs for an AR..

Why? For bucking the wind while target shooting at 500 yards plus....
69 - 77 gr can be loaded to magazine length, 80's & 90's as pointed out must be loaded singly into the chamber. Special magazine followers are available for this purpose. Sierra recommends a 1:6.5 twist for the 90 gr Matchkings.

If you are new to reloading, I would suggest you start with 69 gr bullets to begin your learning process after buying and reading several reloading manuals.

joshfireart 08-22-2010 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highpower (Post 336414)
Why? For bucking the wind while target shooting at 500 yards plus....
69 - 77 gr can be loaded to magazine length, 80's & 90's as pointed out must be loaded singly into the chamber. Special magazine followers are available for this purpose. Sierra recommends a 1:6.5 twist for the 90 gr Matchkings.

If you are new to reloading, I would suggest you start with 69 gr bullets to begin your learning process after buying and reading several reloading manuals.

that would be a good reason thanks

pagj17 08-23-2010 06:54 AM

Well, My ar's got 1-7, and I'm thinking i'm going to go with the 80 grain's, once I'm up to speed and have the equipment.(sierra has a load for 2.60 OAL)
as said above, to buck the wind, and also because in a real SHTF situation, I want as much Thunk as I can get from the round, but also be able to grab any other ammo on the run(since 5.56 is normally the most plentiful where I shoot)
Thanks everyone!

Highpower 08-23-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pagj17 (Post 336823)
........ and also because in a real SHTF situation, I want as much Thunk as I can get from the round, but also be able to grab any other ammo on the run(since 5.56 is normally the most plentiful where I shoot)

If that is the case, then you definitely do not want to be using target (MatchKing) bullets. The jackets are very thin and not designed for any kind of expansion. While they are an excellent choice for flying straight and true to a paper target, they are useless for any type of "hunting".

If you really insist on using a heavier match type bullet - you might want to consider using the Sierra 77 gr MatchKing with a cannelure. They can be loaded to magazine length AND crimped in place for your SHTF scenario.
Do you really want to be dealing with a single shot rifle when your bacon is on the line? :rolleyes:

pagj17 08-24-2010 04:07 AM

Yes, yes I do(Jk)
I'll def try the 77s, and 75s that Black hills uses?
I didn't even think about the Lack of expansion, so very much so thank you:)
The 80s can be loaded to mag length, and Maybe i'll use them for When I am using my wayyyy to big for the rifle scope:) but otherwise, You make wayyyy to many good points for me to even think of not heeding your advice lol.

Highpower 08-24-2010 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pagj17 (Post 337361)
The 80s can be loaded to mag length....

Wow. You really do have a death wish don't you?

Can I have your "wayyyy to(o) big for the rifle scope" after the gun blows up? ;) :D