Want to start reloading
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Want to start reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default Want to start reloading

Is this a good beginner kit?

image-2560753663.jpg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2838 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Yes & no.
I had one. It will do the job. However, IMHO, it's not exactly ideal. I eventually upgraded to the Classic Turret press. Of course, much will depend on your needs.
The Powder measure can be a challenge at times. It leaks the finer powders and the large flakes are hard to meter through it. I ended up upgrading to a Redding 3BR.
I really disliked the scale. I upgraded to a Redding as well.

Sooooo, I would suggest the stepping up to Lee Classic Turret Press Kit and plan upgrading the Scale & Powder measure. YMMV.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 03-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 235 Times on 151 Posts

What calipers do you intend to load and what kind of shooting will you do with the reloads?

If you are loading for a pistol or intend to do lots of high volume shooting, then a progressive or turret press makes sense.

If your intent is to load two hundred or so rounds a year for a hunting rifle, then a standard "D" or "O" style press makes sense.

If you are doing something that requires reforming cases from one size to another, 7X57 to 257 Roberts, or 30-06 to 35 Whelen, or whatever to a pet wildcat, then you definitely need a big solid "O" or "D" size press.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:30 AM   #4

I just want to reload handgun rounds. Primarily .40 but eventually 9 and .380. It'll be for a couple weekends a month at the range. Home and carry ill use defense rounds. Mostly want to reload to save money on ammo to shoot a lot more.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:51 AM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Powder measure for fine powder like acc#2 sucks! Everything else in the kit kicks butt for slow pace reloading. I think it's a good place to start for sure IMHO.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeisme
Powder measure for fine powder like acc#2 sucks! Everything else in the kit kicks butt for slow pace reloading. I think it's a good place to start for sure IMHO.
Sweet thanks

Old 03-01-2013, 06:12 AM   #7

Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That's the exact same kit I started with not to long ago. Like others have said, it has its pros and its cons.

The biggest pain in the rear I've found with the kit is honestly only the scale. It's accurate, but I just hated waiting for it to settle every time I set the pan on it. Another issue I had with mine is that the wooden ball came off not to long after I had it, but I just crazy glued it on and it's been fine ever since.

As for the powder thrower/measure, it's not as bad as it might seem. I've been able to get the same weight out of it multiple times in a row....so long as operate the handle with the same "aggressiveness" each time. However if your looking to get exactly xx.x grains each time, I'd set it so it throughs a little less powder and just trickle the rest by hand. If you just want to reload for the small bit you'd save, it'll get you with in .4 grains each time. (Least for me it does).

All-in-all, I've got close to three hundred or so rounds reloaded with it and I haven't had any thing except the ball issue with the kit. So I guess you could say that I'd suggest picking it up, but also buying a digital scale to go with it.