Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Want some reloading data help! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/want-some-reloading-data-help-31199/)

ANAKINANAYA 09-01-2010 01:59 PM

Want some reloading data help!

I am reloading 270 win, i have loaded a few hundred rounds with the horndady sp 130 grn using 52.0 grains of h-4350, my question is i have a box of sierra pro hunter 130 grn speizer can i use the same amount powder charge or does it change, i have tried to find the data on line but cant. Thanks

cpttango30 09-01-2010 02:32 PM

The book answer is NO don't enter change data like that because the bullets are different.

What does Tango say. I say yes you can use that Sierra data. They are all within SAMMI Specs and are safe. JUst don't be stupid and start with a MAX load. start in the middle and go up or down as you see fit.

ANAKINANAYA 09-01-2010 02:42 PM

Sorry i didnt read your post corretly

Fisherking 09-01-2010 04:54 PM

I think what Tango was saying is that you need to work up a new load for every difrent type of bullit used.
Tango sorry if I'm putting word in your mouth, but that is how I read your reply.
F.K.

Fuzzball 09-01-2010 04:55 PM

Book loading data is largely interchangeable because it's largely generic by powder type and bullet weight. That means the data from any bullet or powder maker is no more "accurate" than others. Fact is, no component change we can make to any tested book data is our firearm and that can't be avoided.

Even so, unless and until you absolutely KNOW what level of charges your firearm can take it is imperitive to decrease any current charge levels by several steps and test the effect and performance of a component change while incrementally working your way back up. You could avoid that, go right to the same charge and likely be safe but you would only have to be wrong once; so do it properly!

ANAKINANAYA 09-01-2010 05:57 PM

well if someone has the data where to start off at with sierra 130 grn speizer using h-4350 it would be greatly appreciated

Highpower 09-01-2010 06:17 PM

800-223-8799 toll free.

robocop10mm 09-01-2010 08:36 PM

The textbook answer is ANY change in components requires you work up a new load. Even changes in lot #'s of powders should be treated as a different component. In practical terms as long as you are well under a max loading, some changes in components should be safe.

You are 2.3 grains under book max for the Hornaday bullet and will still be 1.5 grains under for a Sierra 135 gr. You should be safe, BUT please do not take anyones word for it. You MUST use proper precautions to prevent potential damage and injury.

Free advise over the internet is worth every penny you paid for it.

hunter Joe 09-01-2010 10:53 PM

Hodgdon - The Gun Powder People
Try here.

If you can't find it on this site, get a Sierra reloading manual or the One Book /One caliber reloading guide for 270 Win. The One Book / One Caliber manuals are published by Loadbooks USA. Online orders www.loadbooks.com.

Ram Rod 09-10-2010 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANAKINANAYA (Post 342585)
I am reloading 270 win, i have loaded a few hundred rounds with the horndady sp 130 grn using 52.0 grains of h-4350, my question is i have a box of sierra pro hunter 130 grn speizer can i use the same amount powder charge or does it change, i have tried to find the data on line but cant. Thanks

Look hard enough, and you can find the data online. May not be free, but it's there. Hodgdon puts out a yearly periodical magazine with loads for everything and every powder. You can also call Hornady and they will send you their data free of charge 8 1/2"x11" format. Your specific powder manufacturer may also have data available. The USA loadbooks are the best bet on a specific caliber. Find them cheap on EBay or Midway (around $4.99). Granted...one might think that the load for a 130gr bullet should span the range of available bullets (theoretically speaking). Thing is the bullet design and where you are seating your bullets for your chamber. If you're running one farther into the case because of bullet design, or your custom OAL for freebore distance, then it makes a lot of difference for sure. You've gathered a lot of good advice thus far. Your charge of 52gr with H4350 is on the low side of what I have for data for the Hornady 130gr SP. I don't have data for the Sierra in 130gr, but I do have data for the 135gr and the max charge for that lists 53.5gr of the H4350 and a starting load of 50gr. Use that for what it's worth, and be safe!