Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Want to reload

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 03:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Want to reload

I know nothing absoulutely nothing about reloading except that I want to get into it. What is the equipment that I need to get? I purchased the Sierra manual today. I am looking for reliable equipment, and equipment that I wont need to replace in 6 months after I get going and get the hang of things. Money is an issue in the sense that I dont want to get something and then have to replace it because it is for "beginners".

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2613 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Any reloading kit from Lyman, RCBS or Lee will suffice for a lifetime of use. The only reason to "upgrade" is to go for higher volume. I used a friend's RCBS for several years through College. When I got out on my own, I bought a Dillon. That was a very good choice as I have been using it w/o problems for nearly 25 years.
It really depends on how much shooting you plan on doing. My rule of thumb is less than 200 rounds a month - single stage, 200-400 rounds a month turret press or progressive, over 400 rounds a month - definately progressive.

Dillon used to make the AT 500. It was basically the RL 550 w/o the powder measure and auto primer feature. You could upgrade with those parts later. I do not see it cataloged now, but you might find one on gun broker or similar sites.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
DMC

Before you go out and buy any equipment (RC10MM's suggestions are good), you should get a book on general loading and read it through. The ABCs Of Reloading is a good one. In my opinion the 5th Edition is the best, they're at the 7th or 8th now. The 5th might still be found in a library. If not, the newest is still a very good book. That will give you a pretty good idea of what's involved, help you make choices suited to your situation.

DC

Old 02-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Here you go this is will get you going and you can add to your bench as you go on.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:59 AM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Super info on the download Tango

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Here you go this is will get you going and you can add to your bench as you go on.
For me-I started with the RCBS RockChucker in early "70's", added on a Dillon RL550 in the "80's" and have been happy with both. To do it again (start out) I would buy all Dillon dies when I could. To me they just work better in most applications. I DO use the Lee Factory Crimp Die on my semi-auto pistol rounds, as a last step, and check with an overall case guage afterwards. No more failures on semi-auto loads after these 2 steps. Still use the RockChucker for most rifle loads, esp. for the most accuate varmit (22-250) loads.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 02-07-2009, 06:26 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Rifles / Reloading / How To Reload Rifle Cartridges

Lots of good info on this site.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Good manual first.

As been mentioned before, the FIRST step on getting into handloading, is acesss to good books. Start out at your local library, for the most current load books that they have. I really like the Lyman Handbook. It gives all the old,and new info, and covers a large section on bullet casting, and loading of cast bullets. I do not load(at this time) any cast rifle loads, but I load several hard cast pistol loads-38/357-9mm-44spl/mag-45acp. After you decide that this is your "cup of tea" then buy the most current Lyman Handbook. This should work for you- it did for me!

NRA Life MEMBER 1976