Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > want to learn how to reload

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default want to learn how to reload

What is the most cheapest yet good reloader

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #2

I started with one of these
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121744/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-kit
it comes with everything you need to get started except the dies and possibly a case tumbler/cleaner. I find the bench mount press gives you a good feel for whats going on. It's always best to start with a single stage press. This press uses removable collates that make for quick changing and adjustment of dies, once they are locked into the collate the adjustments stay true with good dies. Additional collates are also sold at midwayusa.com and just about any sporting goods chain store. As your skills and knowledge increase you will learn what to add to your equipment and when you choose to upgrade your press you will still find and make good use of your Lee press. Good luck and I hope you find the same satisfaction in re loading as many of us have.

Jim

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton Jr

Old 03-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm a big fan of RCBS. In the end you get what you paid for. I learned it the hard way and ended up re buying a lot of stuff. Cost more in the end.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #4

Liked 629 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Lee makes inexpensive stuff that is often pretty good. Lee also makes the the cheapest way to reload the "Lee Loader". Start small,think big.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #5

Here is what I started with. A little pricier than the lee but much better quality. Has everything you need except for the dies. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937051/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-single-stage-press-kit

Old 03-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #6

Liked 200 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 434

I started out with the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit as well, its a good starter kit, I also picked up a Forester Case trimmer because the kit didnt come with one.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:16 AM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

First, if you don't know if you will enjoy reloading, get the little Lee Reloading Press for about $30. It'll handle anything up to and including 8mm Rem Mag. Also, get the "ABCs of Reloading" and Lyman's #49 manual.
You can start with just a set of Lee dies (includes shell holder and dipper). Instruction sheet and Richard Lee's book contain starting loads referencing the dipper. You can't put too much powder in the dipper, so weighing is not needed.
After you've loaded a few, you can then think about what you might want for a powder measure, balance, and additional tools.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I started with a used rock chucker and other stuff i could get at gun shows and from friends. I have friends with dillions but i like the single stage better. It gives me more quailty control, some of my friends with the dilions get a little carried away. They try to go to fast and lose the cosistancy and accuracy. I spent 2 months reading everything i could find on reloading befor i made my first round. I have figured out my own system and can load 75 to 100 quailty rounds in a hour. I have friends that want to buy my 45 acps , but im lucky to just have enough for my stock pile and outings. I would tell any one to try it but it can be time consuming lol.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Old 03-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #9

I use a Lee Challenger press. I bought the kit and it had everything I needed to start re-loading for $125. It even came with my caliber choice of die sets. I have seen a Broken Lee press. Because the guy didn't use enough case lube, he destroyed it. Simple to avoid.
I use my Lee challenger for 6 different calibers and it is Wonderful!
The RCBS stuff is heavy-duty(IMO-Overkill) BUT They are definitely better quality. But the COST of RCBS products is prohibitive. Even their die sets are twice as much! I am just reloading bullets- not artillery shells, so I don't need a press capable of squashing solid steel!
I'd still rather buy Lee products because I want to spend the saved $$'s on more die sets, powder, etc... Lee Presses get the job done.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 992 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 440

I have never had,or used a single stage press.If you were just going to load for 1 caliber,I could see where it would be fine.
A Turret press is what I started out with 30yrs ago,and what I still use today. All of your dies are setup,and the presses can be used as a single stage,or as a progressive press depending on your needs.
Changing calibers is as simple as pulling out one turret plate,and swapping it with another that already has the dies setup in it,and changing the shell holder if needed.

Lee Turret presses are what I use,I have the Classic Turret,and the Deluxe Turret presses,and you can use the turret plates w/dies in each of them. I use the Classic to load all of my rifle cartridges,and the Deluxe is setup with the Auto index rod to load my pistol cartridges in a progressive manner.

While some guy's here suggest a higher priced brand of press because they think it's a better press,I'll suggest the Lee Turret press.The Classic is a better made press than the Deluxe,but both produce ammo that is just as accurate as any of the other brands.

My first press was an old worn out Lyman turret press that was given to me.It was a very good press,but hard to find replacement parts for.Then I bought a Lee,and have used them ever since.

This place has some good prices on Lee products if your interested- http://fsreloading.com/

The Lee kits will give you most of what you need to get started,but I would suggest buying a good beam scale like a RCBS 505 or the like.The Lee scale works,but it is a PIA to use.You can find some good used scales on ebay,for half of what you'd pay for a new one.
And a quality powder measure like a Redding,Hornady,or RCBS is also a must to have if you plan on doing a lot of cases at one time.