Want to begin Reloading
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Want to begin Reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Want to begin Reloading

What's it take to begin? I have an extensive background in many handy trades. The whole family is full of welders and metalworkers, constructors, millwrights and electrician so I've always wanted to do this. It'd simply be another useful trade to learn and add to our list of specialties. How much money and what kind of things will I need to begin? Could anyone post a link with an extensive guide detailing on how to begin?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2012, 01:41 AM   #2

ABC's of reloading and a good load data book should set you in the right direction. Tons of different options as far as equipment goes and the sky is the limit on price. But you should be able to get going for $300 - $600 depending on what youre going for.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:18 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 39

+1 on what Swampdonkey said.. Get the ABC's of reloading and read it cover to cover then read it again. Come back and fire away with questions and check out some of the stickies in the top of this section.

I started thinking I was going to save money but now its more of a hobbie than anything, I have grown to love reloading as much or more than shooting.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:33 AM   #4

Liked 92 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Do a search in this section. The same question has been asked numerous times and you will find more answers to your question that you will want to read.

Jim..........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 07-24-2012, 03:31 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1616 Times on 1093 Posts
Likes Given: 1753

Get a book, the guys are right, the ABC`s of reloading is a great book, then get a kit such as this............

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121744/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-kit

Old 07-24-2012, 03:32 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6836 Times on 3634 Posts
Likes Given: 513

reloading does not save money tis a total myth. you just end up shooting more for the same ammount of money you were going to spend just with higher qality ammo
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 07-24-2012, 04:00 AM   #7

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
reloading does not save money tis a total myth. you just end up shooting more for the same ammount of money you were going to spend just with higher qality ammo
I agree whole heartily

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 07-24-2012, 04:20 AM   #8

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Read some books (for your own safety) then ask away. Save money? Agree with others. You will spend more, but you will shoot more. Nothing wrong with that!

Old 07-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1616 Times on 1093 Posts
Likes Given: 1753

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Yeah but it can be a hellofalota fun to, when you load weird rounds like I do................Here is a example.
.30-m1.jpg  

Old 07-25-2012, 02:02 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I started this year by going with the Lee 4 hole Turret Press, both the Lee and the Lyman reloading manuals and all of the other accessories. My initial outlay was around $400 including a set of 38 Special/357 Mag Dies. I started in January and to date I am reloading 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 9mm Makarov, 357 SIG, 45 ACP and 44 Special/44 Magnum. I have not yet tried reloading rifle cartridges. That will be next year's endeavor.
Reloading has brought me into a new dimension of the sport. I am learning a lot and yes, I do have my shelf of shame of screwed up cartridges.
My advice is to soak up as much information that you can from the more experienced reloaders on this and other sites and just remember "there are old reloaders and there are bold reloaders, but there are no old, bold reloaders".