WalMart Ammo? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > WalMart Ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2010, 04:18 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I don't even bother w/ Wally World anymore. They closed the old store, 15'x4'x2' deep case in the old store. New store is a 3'x2'x1' joke. Open a new "Super" store in NH, the old one sold a ton of ammo and guns and offer no guns or ammo. So much for live free or die! I hope they die out. A store full of chinese crap is something I have no use for. The local gun shop has cases stacked of .223, 7.62x39, .308, 9x19, .45acp and the shelves are full of anything else. Powder and primers are no longer an issue while the price has come down to $24.00 per 1000.
In a way it might seem strange that a new store would have less ammo and no firearms. Like everyone else, each Walmart store has to have an FFL for each location. It is possible they didn't have that in place but that would not explain ammo. They may just have a buyer that is anti-gun. The way Walmart has undercut prices for ammo and firearms, they might as well have been giving it away. They were not making money, only hurting other local business. It is just possible that they had to make some concessions in order to get the store location approved. Ammo and firearms might have been part of that. I'm just guessing.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:48 PM   #32

Liked 1392 Times on 826 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigp250 View Post
In a way it might seem strange that a new store would have less ammo and no firearms. Like everyone else, each Walmart store has to have an FFL for each location. It is possible they didn't have that in place but that would not explain ammo. They may just have a buyer that is anti-gun. The way Walmart has undercut prices for ammo and firearms, they might as well have been giving it away. They were not making money, only hurting other local business. It is just possible that they had to make some concessions in order to get the store location approved. Ammo and firearms might have been part of that. I'm just guessing.
It could also be that they do make some profit on the guns but not on the ammo. So it would be logical in that case to not stock ammo if they don't have the guns to sell for profit. They make about 10% on the guns they sell. You can actually find out the price they buy it for from some distributors. Look in their catalog at the stores and find out the # of the gun you want. If it's in the Davidson's catalog simply call the 1-800 number at the bottom of the page and ask them to do an inventory check for Walmart store # (you need to know the store number) and they will tell you how many they have in stock and the price they sell it to Wal-Mart for. My Howa was 10% markup at Wally World.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #33

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am visiting my in-laws and went to their local Walmart to buy 4 boxes of 550 rounds 22LR and 2 boxes x 50 rounds .40 cal. That's 2,300 rounds for $97.23 (including tax).

While there, I also noticed some .380 and lots of .45 cal. There are .45 UMC bulk pack also.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:03 PM   #34

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My Saturday peek into Wal-Mart revealed a fully stocked ammo department. WWB in 50 and 100 round boxes. In Remington they even had 250 round boxes of 9, 40, and 45.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:26 PM   #35

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Rock View Post
My Saturday peek into Wal-Mart revealed a fully stocked ammo department. WWB in 50 and 100 round boxes. In Remington they even had 250 round boxes of 9, 40, and 45.
WWB in what calibers? All those you listed? Didn't see you list .38 or .357....

Old 05-31-2010, 01:12 AM   #36

Liked 773 Times on 540 Posts
Likes Given: 839

Quote:
This store is off the Highway in big time hunting country. Less than 45 minutes from the White Mountians. They just suck! I can buy everything they sell at private shops for less and have a selection of U.S. made products to choose from. Sam must be flipping in his grave.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:59 AM   #37

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
It could also be that they do make some profit on the guns but not on the ammo. So it would be logical in that case to not stock ammo if they don't have the guns to sell for profit. They make about 10% on the guns they sell. You can actually find out the price they buy it for from some distributors. Look in their catalog at the stores and find out the # of the gun you want. If it's in the Davidson's catalog simply call the 1-800 number at the bottom of the page and ask them to do an inventory check for Walmart store # (you need to know the store number) and they will tell you how many they have in stock and the price they sell it to Wal-Mart for. My Howa was 10% markup at Wally World.
You can get an idea of wholesale pricing by looking at some catalogs and on-line with Davidson's Gun Gene.
Davidson's happens to be a distributor that I like working with. They are though by far, the highest wholesale pricing structure of any top ten distributors I deal with. Pricing is based on how much you buy. Ten or more of an item is going to be discounted more than one. Walmart normally bypasses the major distributors altogether. They may actually be selling at more like 6% due to overhead. By selling in very large volume they can come out equal or better than a big box store that buys in volume from a normal distribution network or manufacture direct.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:05 AM   #38

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
This store is off the Highway in big time hunting country. Less than 45 minutes from the White Mountians. They just suck! I can buy everything they sell at private shops for less and have a selection of U.S. made products to choose from. Sam must be flipping in his grave.
It does seem a bit strange. Why not make an inquiry to corporate?
Is there another Walmart nearby?

Old 06-02-2010, 01:24 AM   #39
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2103 Times on 1238 Posts
Likes Given: 4524

Quote:
We have 2 newest Walmarts in Albuquerque, one of the newest from a fellow shooter at the range, advised that one does not have a gun section. We have another that is just down the street, will check it out when I go on a beer run . The fellow shooter advised that when he talked with a manager, was advised that sooner of later Walmart wants to get away from firearms and ammo completely. This might be they did not what to play the FFL card, license the stores. (Just a thought)

Old 06-02-2010, 05:17 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post
The fellow shooter advised that when he talked with a manager, was advised that sooner of later Walmart wants to get away from firearms and ammo completely. This might be they did not what to play the FFL card, license the stores. (Just a thought)
I too had heard this years ago. I'm hoping it's only speculation.
In my area our small Wal*Mart has a Sporting Goods section with a better selection and more hunting supplies than the city's Supercenter. We even have ranch supplies in our Wal*Mart. I believe that Wal*Mart may possibly conduct marketing reports on areas of new/old store locations in order to stock products in the stores that will sell relatively quick and are appealling to the consumer of that area. For example: a consumer that lives on the coast is more apt to buy boating supplies than a consumer that lives in a rural area that is mostly farms & ranches.

On a side note:
My Wal*Mart put a Camo Remington 870 SuperMag on the shelf last week; price $327. I went there this weekend to buy shotgun shells for this weekend's shoot and the 870 SuperMag was gone.