walmart :/ - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > walmart :/

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Honestly I just ended up buying a cheap lee precision melting pot and casting my own .45 and 9mm. Gave up looking for it. Problem now is a cant find the right primers =P

Old 04-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #32

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey150 View Post

Same here, just built an AR and got maybe 200 rounds of ammo before **** hit the fan price wise. So I figured I'd start reloading. Can't find equipment anywhere. Got a press, primers, and powder. Unfortunately can't get a case resizer or bullets that are in any normal weight. Found some 30 something grain VMAX and some 72 grain SP. neither shoot very well in my set up.
I'm not even that far yet.I am about 50 pages into the book. lol..lots of research to do before I drop the cash and staRt spending those same hours per wk looking for the reloading supplies lmao

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 04-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #33

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apwvsd40ve

I'm not even that far yet.I am about 50 pages into the book. lol..lots of research to do before I drop the cash and staRt spending those same hours per wk looking for the reloading supplies lmao
Hahahaha understand. My thoughts behind it were that stuff would probably become available quicker than boolits will. If not, we'll I'm set up for when they do.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #34

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by apwvsd40ve View Post
Good luck with the reloading. I've had lost of fun with it so far. The down side has been looking for the supplies. Still, I can look for them and ammo in the calibers that I don't have enough brass for. Take your time looking for reloading gear. I have seen some that was going for WAY more than it should. I do not look to save money reloading, but overpaying for a press or dies is not much different than overpaying for ammo.

I like looking at walmart for ammo, not cause it gets me much, but cause they are still charging reasonable prices. If they can keep prices low on ammo, they (and others) will help to bring the prices back down after the shortage is over. But, I like to go to my LGS over walmart, cause walmart get too much of my money, and the LGS don't get enough.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #35
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turkeyhunter View Post
Hey Mr. Hillbilly,
Sooooo, Im gonna say that I am one of those dummies you are talking about.... But, since I consider myself somewhat new to firearms, I havent had the opportunity to store up years and years of ammo! As are many people on this forum! So no, I dont see where I deserve to be without sh!t!
What exactly is a years worth, if you dont mind me asking, cause Im on this forum to learn so please enlighten me??? Cause technically I can make a box of .45's last a year, or 5 minutes, kinda depends on how much I shoot dont it. I am in fact happy to hear that I will not be competing against you for the last box of 9mm that walmart has...... Hell, im so dumb Id prolly grab the last box of tampax instead. And I am truely sorry, but as I do make a decent income, unfortunately I wasnt born with a silver spoon in my a$$ so I personally can not afford to purchase multiple cases of ammo at one time. But god willing, ill hit the lotto and then I too can leave worthless comments on this very forum to those not as fortunate to have it all! You sir inspire me!
Well,I apologize for ruffling your feathers.
For guy's/gal's new to the shooting sports,I guess you chose the wrong time to get involved-when everything is in chaos.
My rant was at the people that have had guns for a while,and not planned ahead. I've been shooting since 1970,so I've had plenty of time to have a substantial arsenal built up.
As for what is a years worth of ammo to me? Depends on the caliber,but I try to have at least 1k rounds of loaded ammo for each caliber,and supplies to load 5k more at all times.
I don't have a "Silver Spoon",I just budget money each paycheck for what I want/need.
The last time I bought several cases of factory ammo it was for 223,and I paid $79 per 1k,so it's been a few years.
If I didn't reload,I probably wouldn't shoot much,but since I have loaded my own for over 30yrs,I shoot quite a bit almost weekly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apwvsd40ve View Post
Agreed...new to handguns...certainly have ammo to last for all my long guns...handgun- buying a box or two a week as that is what I can afford..it would take me quite some time to build up that stockpile...but am starting the abc's of reloading as we speak so that I do not have to worry about the time it takes me to track down 100 rounds of 40 every week...and that time had been significant..averaging 3-5 hours a week calling, driving, and waiting in line....sucks...if I had only known 10 years ago that I would get into handguns....guess hind sight is 20-20...its cold out here for sure!
Give it a few months,and reloading supplies will start getting back on the shelves.When you find out what powder/bullets you like to shoot,buy in bulk and you'll save even more.
I always buy 8lb kegs of powder,and depending on the bullet,I'll buy in bulk or get as many boxes of the same lot# that I can find.
Powder and Primers are the weak link,buy all that you can afford.You can always make cast bullets for pistols,and used brass is easy to find,but without powder/primer's,all you have is an expensive paper weight or hammer!

Old 04-15-2013, 01:05 AM   #36

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

It is happening at the Walmart stores here. There have been reports that some employees were disciplined for selling ammo to friends before it was put on the shelf.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:57 AM   #37

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post

Well,I apologize for ruffling your feathers.
For guy's/gal's new to the shooting sports,I guess you chose the wrong time to get involved-when everything is in chaos.
My rant was at the people that have had guns for a while,and not planned ahead. I've been shooting since 1970,so I've had plenty of time to have a substantial arsenal built up.
As for what is a years worth of ammo to me? Depends on the caliber,but I try to have at least 1k rounds of loaded ammo for each caliber,and supplies to load 5k more at all times.
I don't have a "Silver Spoon",I just budget money each paycheck for what I want/need.
The last time I bought several cases of factory ammo it was for 223,and I paid $79 per 1k,so it's been a few years.
If I didn't reload,I probably wouldn't shoot much,but since I have loaded my own for over 30yrs,I shoot quite a bit almost weekly.

Give it a few months,and reloading supplies will start getting back on the shelves.When you find out what powder/bullets you like to shoot,buy in bulk and you'll save even more.
I always buy 8lb kegs of powder,and depending on the bullet,I'll buy in bulk or get as many boxes of the same lot# that I can find.
Powder and Primers are the weak link,buy all that you can afford.You can always make cast bullets for pistols,and used brass is easy to find,but without powder/primer's,all you have is an expensive paper weight or hammer!
Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to reloading...if there is a silver lining in this mess..it is that it has made me want to learn to reload...if ammo was easy to find..I probably would not be as interested...if I can get started..I know that I will continue too do it.

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton