Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Velocity spreads?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Default Velocity spreads?

I am doing load up for my REM 700VS in .243 Win. trying to wring the last bit of accuracy out of it.

I have been able to get my velocity spreads inside of 1 percent(25 to 32 fps and an average of 3580 fps) and have a load that will pattern 5 shots at.429" at 100 yds., but I wonder if I can improve that if I can cut the spread?The pattern is mostly vertical.

I was wondering what kind of velocity spreads you precision reloaders can hold a load to, what you do to get them that I might be missing, or if this is about as good as it gets or needs to be?

Here are the steps I am taking.
I am weighing and sorting cases fired in my rifle,neck sizing with a collet die,checking neck thickness and concentricity,uniforming primer pockets and flash holes,using match primers,weighing the charges to the best of my ability, and holding loaded length to the closest tolerances.This is a non-compressed load of 41.7 grns. of Varget with a 75 grn. Hornady V-MAX.and a COAL of 2.612".This is .005" off the rifling and seems to be where the sweet spot is.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #2

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

That is not a custom barreled target rifle. It looks like to me you are getting close to custom rifle results. I think you are doing damn good.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #3

I'm loading .222 with 21.5 RL-7 (a bit over max but no pressure signs), 50gr speer tnt, and doing all the stuff you are. I'm getting a spread of about 25 fps with an average of 3270 fps. Sounds like you're doing everything right. The only way to improve now is to try different charges or even powder to see if the rifle prefers it a bit faster/slower but I'm more than happy with what I've got and will stick with it.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1081 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 507

I used to be real anal about my reloading process too,but have found over the years,unless your shooting for competition none of all the weighing/sorting really matters that much shooting a bullet that's designed for hunting.
Today,the only thing I sort is the headstamps on the brass.I trim all the brass to the same length,use standard primers-unless the load calls for Magnum primers.I clean the primer pockets,but don't waste time uniforming them.
I use a RCBS Uniflow/Redding BR-3/Smart Reloader electric powder dispensers for all my powder charging,and most of my loads vary 50fps or less velocity speeds between rounds.
Almost all of my rifles will shoot under .500" groups,with several shooting .250" and under when I'm on my game.

You just have to find the right bullet/powder combination for each rifle,and fine tune the load.You really don't have to do all of the extra things the Benchrest guy's do.Those guy's can be a little "Nutty"!

Old 10-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2551 Times on 1339 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Your gun is not shooting "spreads", it is shooting very respectable GROUPS. Sub half inch in the .243 is pretty damn good. Don't sweat it.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #6

Liked 665 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 671

Robo, I say this very gently. His spread is in velocity, his is incorrect in stating he shoots patterns, those are the groups.

OP Shotguns pattern, rifles shoot groups. Are you shooting 3 or 5 round strings? For the average shooter, you're not doing badly. Sometimes you find a powder that just works w/ a specific bullet because of the weight and design.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 10-03-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5077 Times on 2888 Posts
Likes Given: 4243

32 FPS velocity spread is outstanding. I would consider that load a "keeper."

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Thanks for all the feedback.

This is the first time I have done load-up when I had a chrono of my own and I wasn't sure if 1 percent spread was good enough, or whether there was still something that I could do to tighten that up and shrink the group.I feel pretty good with what I have , but always want more if I can get it.

If the bloody wind will ever give me a window of opportunity, I will see how it shoots at 250 yards as that is where I want it zeroed.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #9

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Weigh each bullet (projectile) and load them in batches according to weight.

I checked the last batch of 168gr SMKs, and found them to be +-1.5gr from 168.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 10-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5077 Times on 2888 Posts
Likes Given: 4243

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Weigh each bullet (projectile) and load them in batches according to weight.

I checked the last batch of 168gr SMKs, and found them to be +-1.5gr from 168.
That's less than one percent. I no longer bother weighing or sorting Sierra Match Kings. (I weighed several hundred of them over the years, and concluded that the quality was so high, I was wasting my time)

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

jpattersonnh Likes This